• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar Instrument Definitions for JABB Drums & Percussion

Share/Bookmark

JABB Drums & Percussion Instrument Definitions for Sonar

Hi,
    I don't understand why NI's DXi or VST plugins do not provide patch or note names to the host program, in my case, Sonar. Other manufacturers, like Edirol, make it easier by providing this information. To improve efficiency in my workflow, I decided to do an Instrument Definition file with the note names for JABB drum and percussion instruments.
    Here is a zip file with the INS document and instructions http://www.garritan.com/support/JABB...Perc-Sonar.zip.

I took some liberties and corrected some misspellings (maraca & castanet) and added accents and dieresis in some places like Cajón and Güiro (sorry, I'm anal about things like that).

I also added the name Finger Snap to note # 82 (A#) of the General MIDI Drum Kit which is not listed in Appendix B. I don't know why it is in the GM Drum Kit because General MIDI standard does not have a Finger Snap. Roland's GS standard uses note 26 and Yamaha's XG uses note 19. BTW, Finger Snap is also in the Gourds, Blocks, Bells, Misc. list.

I also corrected, in the General MIDI Drum Kit, the note names for 62 Mute High Bongo and 63 Open High Bongo which are actually Congas. They now read 62 Mute High Conga and 63 Open High Conga.

I have a request for Gary or Tom: Can two more percussion kits de added? One for the Drums and another for the Gourds, Blocks, Bells, Misc. I think that It'd be convenient to have kits with all of them grouped like they are listed in Appendix C. The way it is setup now one has to use a channel per instrument. It'd be nice to have the option to load all in one kit or just one instrument.

Thanks,

Serge

Re: Sonar Instrument Definitions for JABB Drums & Percussion

Thanks for this!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Re: JABB Drums & Percussion Instrument Definitions for Sonar

Quote Originally Posted by sergiobklyn View Post
    Hi,
    I don't understand why NI's DXi or VST plugins do not provide patch or note names to the host program, in my case, Sonar. Other manufacturers, like Edirol, make it easier by providing this information. To improve efficiency in my workflow, I decided to do an Instrument Definition file with the note names for JABB drum and percussion instruments.
    Here is a zip file with the INS document and instructions http://www.garritan.com/support/JABB...Perc-Sonar.zip.

I took some liberties and corrected some misspellings (maraca & castanet) and added accents and dieresis in some places like Cajón and Güiro (sorry, I'm anal about things like that).

I also added the name Finger Snap to note # 82 (A#) of the General MIDI Drum Kit which is not listed in Appendix B. I don't know why it is in the GM Drum Kit because General MIDI standard does not have a Finger Snap. Roland's GS standard uses note 26 and Yamaha's XG uses note 19. BTW, Finger Snap is also in the Gourds, Blocks, Bells, Misc. list.

I also corrected, in the General MIDI Drum Kit, the note names for 62 Mute High Bongo and 63 Open High Bongo which are actually Congas. They now read 62 Mute High Conga and 63 Open High Conga.

I have a request for Gary or Tom: Can two more percussion kits de added? One for the Drums and another for the Gourds, Blocks, Bells, Misc. I think that It'd be convenient to have kits with all of them grouped like they are listed in Appendix C. The way it is setup now one has to use a channel per instrument. It'd be nice to have the option to load all in one kit or just one instrument.

Thanks,

Serge

Whatever became of this zip file? I've been searching the internet for a SONAR instruments definition file for the JABB drum kits. This would be extremely helfpul.

Thanks - BPOCO

Go Back to forum