• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Topic: Spectrasonics Support

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Spectrasonics Support

    Hello All,

    I just purchased Stylus RMX a couple of weeks ago. As such I had some questions about it, so I did the following:

    1. Wrote an email to info@spectrasonics: Result: NO REPLY.

    2. Called Tech Support: Result *Put On Hold, Asked to Give Number for Call Back, but no call back!*

    3. Wrote second email stating that I had already wrote and called and recieved no reply: Result: No Reply.

    So what's the deal? I have purchased and registered two Spectrasonic products (Trilogy and Stylus RMX), yet I'm left cold. I am a bit offended at this point to be honest.

    Seriously...if you guys lurk here please respond...or if you prefer to deal off line: riverwest at nc dot rr dot com. Either way I would like to hear something before I start really mixing this next week.
    What if the Hokey Pokey *is* what it's all about?

  2. #2

    Re: Spectrasonics Support

    I've been involved in the software side of recording since the stone age.

    I have NEVER dealt with a company that provides the level of support and caring that the Spectrasonic crew has afforded to me.

    It usually takes a day or two to get back to me but they ALWAYS get back to me.

    I respectfully submit...........try one more time

  3. #3

    Re: Spectrasonics Support

    Wow...I'm really sorry that you had this trouble.

    It's possible you got lost somehow in the NAMM shuffle. But I do know that they are currently caught up with the backlog on calls and emails and you should definitely have already received a response or a callback by now.

    Please try again and we'd be happy to assist you. The support load this week is much better now with the NAMM crush out of the way.

    Thanks for your patience and support,

    spectrum
    (EP: President of Spectrasonics)

    PS. This is not the normal response you should have received. We do take pride in having a great support department and the normal cases should be more like these folks experienced:

    http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/...ic.php?t=28155


    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog57
    Hello All,

    I just purchased Stylus RMX a couple of weeks ago. As such I had some questions about it, so I did the following:

    1. Wrote an email to info@spectrasonics: Result: NO REPLY.

    2. Called Tech Support: Result *Put On Hold, Asked to Give Number for Call Back, but no call back!*

    3. Wrote second email stating that I had already wrote and called and recieved no reply: Result: No Reply.

    So what's the deal? I have purchased and registered two Spectrasonic products (Trilogy and Stylus RMX), yet I'm left cold. I am a bit offended at this point to be honest.

    Seriously...if you guys lurk here please respond...or if you prefer to deal off line: riverwest at nc dot rr dot com. Either way I would like to hear something before I start really mixing this next week.

  4. #4

    Re: Spectrasonics Support

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna
    I've been involved in the software side of recording since the stone age.

    I have NEVER dealt with a company that provides the level of support and caring that the Spectrasonic crew has afforded to me.

    It usually takes a day or two to get back to me but they ALWAYS get back to me.

    I respectfully submit...........try one more time

    I think so. Spectrasonic's support is the best one I've found around. And Eric is allways listening to users sugestions to make their products even better.

  5. #5

    Re: Spectrasonics Support

    Okay, first off let me say that I love everything Spectrasonics does. Not only have I purchased Atmosphere, Stylus RMX and Trilogy, they are the ONLY third party plugins I have purchased outside of logic. And they are all I need. The sound is fantastic.


    But I must say that my experience with Spectrasonics tech support has been beyond AWFUL!!! I still hold out hope because a lot of people have had good experience, but I have NEVER had my questions answered despite numerous email and phone calls over the last YEAR!

    1. I have sent about five emails since last June. NONE of them were replied. I have NEVER recieved a return email from Spectrasonics tech support.

    2. I have called and left about seven messages since last june. I finally got a call back, the representative left a message that didn't solve my questions. This was after the third or fourth time of me calling, and only after I complained on my message that no one returns my emails or calls.

    3. After my fifth call, I did get a call back in which I was able to speak to someone. The representative was very condesending, and pretty much said that my problems were with logic, not spectrasonics. That may be true, but to me, that was just kind of passing the buck. My problems weren't with Logic or Spectrasonics specifically, they are with the way Spectrasonics interfaces with logic. When I ask apple, they basically turn it back to Spectrasonics and can't answer ANY of my questions. So who do I go to? I know how to run logic like a pro. But there are simply some very small idiosycracies that only seem to come up when I am working with Atmosphere, Trilogy and/or Stylus.


    Over the course of a year I have solved many problems myself, the 1.5 update with the manual helped a TON, but I am still lost on several important things.



    Eric, if you read this, thank god for you. The quality of these intstruments is so good that I purchased Trilogy even after my support problems. I just wish that I knew how to use everything correctly! Keep up the GREAT work! And hire a new support staff!

  6. #6

    Re: Spectrasonics Support

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder
    Okay, first off let me say that I love everything Spectrasonics does. Not only have I purchased Atmosphere, Stylus RMX and Trilogy, they are the ONLY third party plugins I have purchased outside of logic. And they are all I need. The sound is fantastic.
    Awesome! Glad to hear this.

    But I must say that my experience with Spectrasonics tech support has been beyond AWFUL!!! I still hold out hope because a lot of people have had good experience, but I have NEVER had my questions answered despite numerous email and phone calls over the last YEAR!
    Wow....I'm totally stunned and amazed that you had this experience! This absolutely should have never happened and I want to do everything possible to find out why it happened and make sure it doesn't happen again.

    I apologize that you had this kind of experience. It isn't typical at all of our service.

    1. I have sent about five emails since last June. NONE of them were replied. I have NEVER recieved a return email from Spectrasonics tech support.
    Huh?

    That doesn't make ANY sense at all. We return every email we receive...usually within 48 hours or much less. During really busy times it may be as much as a week.

    But if you never received any reply to five different emails....that's just unheard of and I can only think that there must be a technical explanation to this situation. Maybe there was a problem with your email address or something? We are really good about returning emails...and five emails would never go unresponded by us.

    Please PM me your full information (email address, what the subject of the email was and your real name, etc) so that I can look into this and find out what happened.

    2. I have called and left about seven messages since last june. I finally got a call back, the representative left a message that didn't solve my questions. This was after the third or fourth time of me calling, and only after I complained on my message that no one returns my emails or calls.
    You should have received a callback sooner, but sometimes the phones are extremely busy.

    However, not giving you a solution on your message machine is not something to be upset about. Usually on a callback, we need to speak to a person to solve their problems.

    3. After my fifth call, I did get a call back in which I was able to speak to someone. The representative was very condesending, and pretty much said that my problems were with logic, not spectrasonics.
    If you felt that you were being spoken to this way, then I apologize that you had this impression...that is never our intention. This kind of encounter is very surprising since our staff is widely known throughout the business as the MOST friendly and helpful of any music software company. We actually have official training for how to deal with customers and treat them with maximum respect. This is really important to me and I'm sorry that you did not feel respected in how you dealt with.

    That may be true, but to me, that was just kind of passing the buck. My problems weren't with Logic or Spectrasonics specifically, they are with the way Spectrasonics interfaces with logic.
    Since I can't guess what your specific issue is, it's hard to comment directly.

    However, it's not passing the buck to say that Spectrasonics doesn't "interface" to Logic in any way that would be different than any other AU plug-in on the market. We use standard protocols, etc.

    Logic handles certain things like multitimbral instruments in very convoluted ways, but that really is a Logic issue.

    Our solution has been to provide specific video tutorials for each host for these kinds of things. I'm sure you've seen the latest "RMX+Logic" tutorial video...right?

    We made that specifically because so many Logic users were having difficulty setting up multi-timbral instruments.

    To put it in perspective, we have tons of Logic specific info on our site and special free video training to use our product within Apple's. Virtually no other plug-in companies have this kind of information and free training.

    How much of this kind of support is provided from Apple about using Logic with Spectrasonics products?

    As I'm sure you know....Apple supplies no information about using our instruments with Logic.

    When I ask apple, they basically turn it back to Spectrasonics and can't answer ANY of my questions. So who do I go to?
    Again, it would really help to know what you are needing to solve, but maybe you are unaware of how MUCH support we do outside of the tech support office?

    This is apparantly your first post here on the Northernsounds forum, but it would be a good idea for you to do a search of this forum for Spectrasonics or on any of our products names and you'll find that myself, GlennO and other official Spectrasonics representatives have responded to hundreds and hundreds of requests and solved problems quickly for many, many users.

    The same thing is true on the Yahoo Spectrasonics forum which we link directly to both user forums on our Support page at our website:

    http://www.spectrasonics.net/techsupport/

    There aren't many companies that have the president of the company and the chief software designer of the product responding directly to end users. We do this voluntarily and unofficially, but it's an example of how much we care about the end user's experience. I think our record on this is very good.

    There are also literally thousands of Logic/Spectrasonics users that could help you answer your specifically questions on this forum, osxaudio, the yahoo spectrasonics group, the logic users groups on yahoo and sonikmatter, kvraudio and many other sites.

    So there's a tremendous amount of resource available to you when you get stuck with an issue of how two softare products work together.

    I know how to run logic like a pro. But there are simply some very small idiosycracies that only seem to come up when I am working with Atmosphere, Trilogy and/or Stylus.
    OK....like what? :-)

    Let's find out what your problems are so that we can address them.

    Over the course of a year I have solved many problems myself, the 1.5 update with the manual helped a TON, but I am still lost on several important things.
    Well...maybe you could tell us what they are? :-)

    I guarantee that you'll have the answer to your problems very quickly...if not by me, by someone else on this forum. Lots of Logic users here. :-)

    Eric, if you read this, thank god for you. The quality of these intstruments is so good that I purchased Trilogy even after my support problems.
    Cool! I'm very glad you are digging the instruments.

    I just wish that I knew how to use everything correctly!
    Well...ask your questions and you can get help right now.

    That's also why we provide over 8 hours of video tutorials and the largest manual ever written for a plug-in, why we participate so strongly in this and other forums, etc.

    For us, we treat tech support with the same seriousness and dedication...so I'm really baffled and sorry that you did not have a good experience with our department. We are committed to improving it and providing the best service possible.

    Please PM me with more details of your situation, so that we can research what went wrong. It's a constant challenge for us to respond directly to the thousands of requests and questions we receive from our users, but you really should have received much better service than you described.

    We're very committed to always improving our customer's experience with the company.

    Keep up the GREAT work!
    Thanks! We intend to! :-)

    spectrum
    (aka:EP)

  7. #7

    Re: Spectrasonics Support

    Wow! Thanks for the detailed response. I do not doubt anything you say, Eric, Spectrasonics has been outstanding in every aspect for me, I would buy the products still with no support, they're that good! I'm not sure what happened in my situation but I must agree it does seem to be a relatively isolated incident.

    Let me preclude this by saying that I am using Logic 7.1, Trilogy, Atmosphere and Stylus RMX, and a Korg Microkontrol as a control surface. I have the latest versions of everything and I have read all manuals cover to cover and watched every video tutorial available, several times in some cases.

    So anyway, here are the things I have still never figured out, I haven't been trying very hard to get these answered lately because I'm not sure they can be answered, but here goes:


    1. Since the Microkontrol uses Logic's automation to control parameters, and not specific CC values, I am not able to control Atmosphere and Trilogy values correctly with the Microkontrol (For example, the amp attack goes about halfway up after only one or two increments of automation). I know that the manual says that you are supposed to use CCs instead of the internal automation, but is there, or will there ever be a way around this? Even without the Korg, I hate having to look up the CC value everytime instead of just dialing it in with the automation.

    2. Also in regards to the microkontrol, if I have the faders controlling Stylus's volume or mute parameters (not MIDI learn, I can't seem to send normal CC values with the Microkontrol when it is in control surface mode), they don't always react and can be very glitchy. I would be quick to blame Korg and Apple on this one, but I only experience this with Spectrasonics plugins.

    3. I have also had problems with the Automation in RMX (In logics internal automation where you can only adjust mute, volume, sends, etc). I draw in automation on a track, then play it back, but it wont start working until I move the actual onscreen parameter with my mouse. Then it works perfectly for the rest of my session, but initially I have to sort of jump start it.

    4. I do not understand how Logic is able to reference what regions are assigned to what MIDI channel (1-8) in RMX. For example, when I drag and drop a file from RMX to its sub channel, everything is fine. When I want to freeze the track, I move the regions from the sub channel tracks up to the main tracks, and it doesn't matter what order I put them in, RMX (or logic) knows which region goes to which RMX channel. However, when I make my own MIDI regions that I performed myself, it does not reference these to the corresponding MIDI RMX channel unless the regions are on the correct sub channel. If I freeze them on the sub channel, it works, but I really want to know what "tag" in on the regions that assigns them to a specific RMX channel, and if I can use that with my regions.

    5. This is hardly a big deal, but only seems to happen with Spectrasonics instruments. If I am playing a song, stop it, and go back to the beginning, I get this burst of whatever synths were just playing, even where there is no corresponding MIDI info. If I let the track play for a second, it plays through the burst and then I am able to go back and it is silent. It's like when I stop the synth in the middle of the track, it still holds the sound in a buffer, when I go back and play at the beginning of the track, it releases the sound at an unwanted time. Does that make sense? Is this normal? Certainly something I can deal with, but kind of a pain.


    I feel like there are some more little things, but they must not be that important. Any help is most appreciated. I understand that some of these issues might be up to Korg and Apple, but any insight is helpful. Thank you for your relentless dedication to your customers Eric, cheers to you and your staff!

  8. #8

    Re: Spectrasonics Support

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder

    2. Also in regards to the microkontrol, ...
    Anytime you have trouble with midi learn in RMX, select the MIDI CC option of the value display in the footer. That shows you what information RMX is
    receiving and you can use it to determine if you're sending what you intended to send.

    3. I have also had problems with the Automation in RMX...
    Sorry, I've never heard reports of that problem before. It sounds like maybe an issue with the automation latch mode you're using? Try using latch, or write, or touch...I can never keep them straight :-). If you have a song that demonstrates the problem, send it to tech support.

    4. I do not understand how Logic is able to reference what regions are...
    It sounds like you're moving the midi region to a track where the midi channel setting differs from the original track. RMX embeds the correct midi channel in the dragged/dropped region, which is probably lacking in the region you recorded. If you set the track's midi channel to match the corresponding RMX part you should be ok.

    - Glenn

  9. #9

    Re: Spectrasonics Support

    When I select the midi cc option, and move the fader, the corresponding value changes, but no cc value is displayed. When you hook a microkontrol up to logic, it defaults to using it as a control surface. You can't send CC values, it uses some kind of sysex communication or something and allows you to modify any AU parameter available, among other things, but you can't customize and send CCs. I can not use MIDI learn with this control surface, everything is already patched through the AU parameters. I've seen Spectrasonics demos with you guys using the Microkontrol with Logic, if you've used it with 7.1 then you should know what I'm talking about. This also ties in with my first question which you didn't comment on, is this just a lost cause for me?


    Thanks
    Thunder

  10. #10

    Re: Spectrasonics Support

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder
    1. Since the Microkontrol uses Logic's automation to control parameters, and not specific CC values, I am not able to control Atmosphere and Trilogy values correctly with the Microkontrol (For example, the amp attack goes about halfway up after only one or two increments of automation). I know that the manual says that you are supposed to use CCs instead of the internal automation, but is there, or will there ever be a way around this? Even without the Korg, I hate having to look up the CC value everytime instead of just dialing it in with the automation.
    There's a weird thing in Korg's microkontrol templates for Atmosphere and Trilogy (and other settings)

    I reprogrammed my microkontrol from scratch and then these problems went away.

    We may post my versions of the microkontrol templates for Atmosphere and Trilogy on our website.

    2. Also in regards to the microkontrol, if I have the faders controlling Stylus's volume or mute parameters (not MIDI learn, I can't seem to send normal CC values with the Microkontrol when it is in control surface mode), they don't always react and can be very glitchy. I would be quick to blame Korg and Apple on this one, but I only experience this with Spectrasonics plugins.
    You can't use the Microkontrol in Logic Remote mode and as an RMX MIDI controller simultaneously.

    Turn off the Microkontrol from controlling logic under "Control Surfaces" first.

    3. I have also had problems with the Automation in RMX (In logics internal automation where you can only adjust mute, volume, sends, etc). I draw in automation on a track, then play it back, but it wont start working until I move the actual onscreen parameter with my mouse. Then it works perfectly for the rest of my session, but initially I have to sort of jump start it.
    Send a logic song to tech support that demonstrates the problem.

    4. I do not understand how Logic is able to reference what regions are assigned to what MIDI channel (1-8) in RMX. For example, when I drag and drop a file from RMX to its sub channel, everything is fine. When I want to freeze the track, I move the regions from the sub channel tracks up to the main tracks, and it doesn't matter what order I put them in, RMX (or logic) knows which region goes to which RMX channel. However, when I make my own MIDI regions that I performed myself, it does not reference these to the corresponding MIDI RMX channel unless the regions are on the correct sub channel. If I freeze them on the sub channel, it works, but I really want to know what "tag" in on the regions that assigns them to a specific RMX channel, and if I can use that with my regions.
    RMX channelizes the MIDI files when they are dragged, so that when you drag them to a Logic instrument set to "ALL" then it will still work correctly.

    This is true of any MIDI file or Logic track that is permanently channelized.

    5. This is hardly a big deal, but only seems to happen with Spectrasonics instruments. If I am playing a song, stop it, and go back to the beginning, I get this burst of whatever synths were just playing, even where there is no corresponding MIDI info. If I let the track play for a second, it plays through the burst and then I am able to go back and it is silent. It's like when I stop the synth in the middle of the track, it still holds the sound in a buffer, when I go back and play at the beginning of the track, it releases the sound at an unwanted time. Does that make sense? Is this normal? Certainly something I can deal with, but kind of a pain.
    True of all virtual instruments that have long release or reverb/delays...not only Spectrasonics.

    it's a Logic thing.


    I feel like there are some more little things, but they must not be that important. Any help is most appreciated. I understand that some of these issues might be up to Korg and Apple, but any insight is helpful. Thank you for your relentless dedication to your customers Eric, cheers to you and your staff!
    Thanks!

    spectrum

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •