• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO & JABB Competition Update

Share/Bookmark

GPO & JABB Competition Update

I was talking with Chuck Israels today about the possiblity of a Jazz & Big Band competition. We were discussing perhaps having a Jazz & Big Band competition this fall.

The Village Vanguard in New York seems to be doable as a venue and I have had discussed this with its manager. I also talked with Chuck about possibly hiring Dave Berger and the Sultans of Swing or another well-known big band to perform the winning works. We were also discussing candidates for judges who would be well known musicians in the jazz community.

As far as the Orchestration competition. Carnegie Hall didn't work for this year but we are in discussions for next year. I was holding off for GPO Advanced for the competition, but it looks like GPOA will be released later rather than sooner.

Do you still want a orchestral competition this year? We could do it in the Czech Republic again (Olomouc, Brno or Prague). Or would waiting until next year be fine and we go for the big band competition this year?

Let me know your thoughts.

Gary Garritan

Re: GPO & JABB Competition Update

By all means, I think we should still have the orchestration contest this year, that is, if it's not a hassle.
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Gary,

I like the idea of the Big Band first, and then after the dust settles, do one with GPOA. Competitions are great, and I'm sure that the Garritan Marketing Department likes them. But with all the planning that is involved and with the new libraries coming out, I would think it might be a little, maybe a lot much. Dude, (I said that?) we need you around for a long time to develop more toys.

Karl

Thumbs up Re: GPO & JABB Competition Update

I'm for the Jazz Big Band competition and like Karl had said, "then after the dust settles, do one with GPOA."
    Like, man cool daddio ...
    Styxx

Well I would love to see another GPO contest but I totally understand if two competitions is too much to organize. Cant afford JABB yet and even worse, when I do get it, I probably wont know how to write even "Mary Had a Little Lamb" in jazz form. I will however try to write something just to see if my attempts at jazz/big band can compete with Styxx's jokes on the laugh meter.

Eric

I definitely like the idea of a JABB competition. If we wait for GPOA to come out for the next orchestration competition and have more of a chance to get Carnegie Hall booked, I think it would be exciting.

Just as long as I'm allowed to win both competitions...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Do both, please! Then follow up with a GPOA when that's ready!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

You should do you know ... that. That one. You know ... the one with that one in it? Yeah, no, no, no, not that one. That one! You know? Com'on that one before that one so we can all do that one next and that one last. Got it? Good for you cause I aint got it. That one ... First ... last, then.
    Styxx

JABB sounds reasonable and waiting for the GPOA release would make sense as well to help kick off the new product (as if it will need help!). I'm a little worried about the later than sooner status of GPOA! I want those SAM horns and need to put out a few concert band mock-ups. SHEESH!

Regards,

Tim

What about a competition for a piece that use any/all Garritan product, GPO, JBB and GPOA? I'd love to hear some large symphonic pieces that also incorporate jazz harmonic and rhythmic influences combined with jazz instruments.

Jeff

Go Back to forum