• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: hard drive "cache memory" and sample playback

Share/Bookmark

OT: hard drive "cache memory" and sample playback

Does anyone have any idea if the size of the "cache memory" on the hard drive make a difference in sample playback performance?

Backrground: I'm looking at drives that have 8mb and 16mb cache that are about $30 difference in price. Just wondering if it's worth it.

Re: OT: hard drive "cache memory" and sample playback

I'm sure one of the experts will chime in soon but my hunch is yes, especially if you are going to be using it in demanding situations. Like digital audio.
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by damoy
    Does anyone have any idea if the size of the "cache memory" on the hard drive make a difference in sample playback performance?

Backrground: I'm looking at drives that have 8mb and 16mb cache that are about $30 difference in price. Just wondering if it's worth it.
    If you use the drive for samples only there won't be much difference
    (what's 8 MB for a sample player? ), but if you plan to use it for
    other things, too, it will make a difference because the general drive
    management data (FAT etc.) is increasing with todays drives size
    and can be accessed much faster if it's in the cache.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by damoy

As far as I know, the cache memory is only used for write operation. If you use your disk only for playback, cache memory should be useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    As far as I know, the cache memory is only used for write operation. If you use your disk only for playback, cache memory should be useless.
    Not true. The cache is used for reads also. Generally, a larger cache will improve performance, but with large and numerous samples needing to be streamed, the improvement may be slight, if any at all.

The best way to improve sample playback performance is to put as much ram in your machine that it will allow.

Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated!

Go Back to forum