Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A ban on funeral protests?

Share/Bookmark

A ban on funeral protests?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    You just couldn't make this stuff up...

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...0-024059-9958r

So... A small, wacky Baptist group believes that soldiers are bein killed in Iraq because the US tolerates homosexuality. Apparently, they think that homosexuals should not have rights in the US. So... the group exercises their free speech rights to protest. But where do they protest? At the funerals of US soldiers. Can you imagine something so disrespectful?

So then, the legislatures of some states, not recognizing that corner cases makes bad laws, decides to pass anti-demonstration laws. But the laws are broad enough that the ACLU is weighing in.

Doesn't this group understand irony? Have they no respect for grieving families? Don't they understand that rights are for everybody?

BTW, the group used to harrass the funerals of people who were outwardly sympathetic to gays. It didn't get much media attention, and legislatures were content to let it slide. So they changed their tactics and started protesting at US soldiers' funerals. Now they get attention and the reaction is for anti-free-speech laws to be written and passed.

But doesn't the fact that the govt didn't care if they protested at gay-friendly funerals, but care greatly about soldiers' funerals show that the US isn't exactly a grecian bath house?

When I look at the actions of this group through my ethics lens (honesty, fairness, respect, responsibility, compassion), they clearly fail when it comes to respect and compassion. They think that they are behaving responsibly, but the people at the funerals aren't responsible for our society, so the protests aren't fair either.

If we ignore them will they go away? (And if we hold funerals on private property, can't we legally demand that they leave?)

-JF

Re: A ban on funeral protests?

First, I think the ACLU are complete idiots for fighting for things like the KKK's right to march. So what if they're technically correct; as long as they're not fighting every single injustice in the country, they'd be on incredibly firm ground if they ignored ~~~~~~~s and concentrated on cases that don't make a mockery of what they stand for.

I'm very liberal, but there's a point where common sense trumps ideology. Defending the KKK is way beyond that point.

What we need is a blanket law that makes it illegal to be an a sshole. That would solve a lot of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    What we need is a blanket law that makes it illegal to be an a sshole. That would solve a lot of problems.
    No, it would create a lot more. Where would we get the prison space?
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

I didn't think about that...

(What Brian says)

Ern, I think you're playing into his hands by reacting that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen

Ern
    That's what I call a HAT!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    No, it would create a lot more. Where would we get the prison space?
    strategic annexations in Casper & Crawford ...?
    have quill -- will bleed...
    www.butchertownstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Hm, that would cover just about everyone at one time or another.
    Styxx

There are degrees.

By the way, I support the ACLU in general. My comment is only about their defending the KKK.

Ern, don't you think it's just a little bit too easy to get outraged at that moron? Is it really worth getting all huffy at some lower? Who freaking cares. I'm not trying to be your dad, believe me, just saying that this guy wants attention desperately and you're giving it to him.

From what I've read about this situation, the ACLU hasn't agreed to defend Reverend Nutcase and the Koolaide Kids, but they oppose the laws being proposed, because they are too broad.

Who knows where it will go though...

-JF

What this guy REALLY does?

He gives left wingers another reason to hate ALL Christians because of a few. Yes, left wingers have their prejudices, too.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast