• Register
  • Help

Topic: Standalone or DXi?

Share/Bookmark

Standalone or DXi?

I am a hobbyist who uses Sonar and just got Kontakt 2. I have a beginner question that I hope someone can answer for me:

What is the best way to run Kontakt sounds in Sonar:
    Standalone w/ rewire or DXi - Why? What are the pros/cons of each method?

I'm sorry if this question has been answered, but the search function on this forum will not let me search on the word DXi and there is not much about this in the Kontakt manual.

Thank you for your time and opinions

Re: Standalone or DXi?

Kontakt doesn't support ReWire. Use it as a DXi or VSTi.

I use Sonar 5 and just installed K2 last night. I'm using it as a VST in Sonar. I read that standalone is good if you are editing samples or using K2 for live performance. Standalone allows access to 64 instruments versus 16 in vst mode but you have to have your sequencer connected to it via a virtual cable. I didn't explore that yet.

Also, each of the 16 instrument slots available in VST mode has its own 128 bank whcih can be accessed via midi control changes. Page '58' of the manual is vague. You have to go to 'Open new instrument bank' to use this feature. Place your instruments in the slots of the 128 bank, and switch them via midi controal changes as an alternative to key switching!

I don't know how to use it as a standalone in Sonar, but with EWQLSO Gold, at least, I used to use it as DXi, but someone on these forums told me that a bug with the DXi was the reason I had notes sticking sometimes if I decreased tempo "too much" (usually hardly at all). This problem so far does not exist with the VST plugin.

> Standalone allows access to 64 instruments versus 16 in vst mode

As a VSTi, you just run multipul instanances to get more instruments.

You can run multiple instances of standalone, too. Make copies of the K2 icon and open each. I think standalone is a better option - especially CPU wise, but requires some extra routing to make it work.

Go Back to forum