• Register
  • Help

Topic: SampleTekk Piano Comparison

Share/Bookmark

SampleTekk Piano Comparison

This posting was buried in the 200+ posts Group Buy thread, and I've got some mails asking for it. So here it is, in all its glory, by itself:

Since we have a lot of pianos, here's a chance for you to compare them.
    As a demo, we used a midifile played by Sue Keller.
    There's also a short description for each piano.
    Nothing has been done with the demos, just the samples, straight out of the box!
    There's other instruments then pianos available for the group buy, read more about those at www.sampletekk.com
    Here we go:

TBO - The Big One
    The largest, most dynamic sampled piano around

TBO Demo
    Piano used - Yamaha C7 Grand
    Size - 11.8 Gb
    93 Samples/Recorded note, 31 Pedal Up, 31 Pedal Down and 31 Release Samples
    Impulses for Convoluting included
    K2 Script for Sympathetic Resonance available from 3:rd party developers.
    Normal price $200, Group Buy Price $100, save $100

With its 93 unique samples/recorded note, this piano delivers a dynamic response totally unequalled among today’s sampled pianos. The piano was taken with microphones close to the strings to get a clear, detailed sound, and with the use of vintage Neumann microphones, we where able to maintain the warmth and acoustic character of this great instrument

Black Grand - The Concert Grand
    Steinway D Hamburg Concert Grand

Black Grand Close Demo
    Black Grand Medium Ambience Demo
    Black Grand Ambience Demo
    Piano used - Steinway D Hamburg
    Size - 19.5 Gb (all three perspectives)
    48 Samples/Recorded note, 16 Pedal Up, 16 Pedal Down and 16 Release Samples
    Normal price $200, Group Buy Price $100, save $100

The magnificent Steinway D, recorded in a concerthall for the true concert grand experience. Three different perspectives, Close, Ambient and Medium Ambiance gives you tree different instruments to choose from.

The White Grand
    The Ultimate Studio Grand

White Grand Demo
    Piano used - Malmsjo Grand
    Size - 5.3 Gb
    32 Samples/Recorded note, 16 Pedal Up, 16 Pedal Down and 4 Release Samples
    Normal price $139, Group Buy Price $69.50, save $69.50

Used and proven by many, many musicians, composers and producers, both on record and on film, White Grand has proven its case: The Ultimate Studio Grand! This is not a piano that is meant to sound as a true acoustic image of a "real grand piano". It has been processed to work in a mix, straight off! Use this one for pop/rock/jazz/gospel or anything in between, and I can promise you that your in for a real treat!
    Here's some user comments:

"The White Grand is the best piano sample I have heard. It sits beautifully in a mix, as well as alone. It actually sounds alive!" - Paul Linford; film composer, mixer, programmer for Trevor Rabin

"I had no idea a sampled piano could be this good. It was as if someone told me they had a guitar, and what they showed me was a '54 Strat." - Trevor Rabin; Film Composer, Guitarist

"In the professional world we don't have time to waste in the studio, so when I need an acoustic piano, I always start with White Grand - it just works. It's presence and brightness is hard to achieve with other piano samples" - Jermey Whaley; producer, composer, musician

"Probably the very best pop/studio piano that has ever been released. In terms of its evenness and playability, and its consistency of presence from pp to fff, I think it is the best piano sample that has ever been released, period." - Bruce Richardson; composer, sound designer, music-technology guru.

White Sister - White Grand's mellow sister
    The softer side of White Grand

White Sister Demo
    Piano used - Malmsjo Grand
    Size - 5.3 Gb
    32 Samples/Recorded note, 16 Pedal Up, 16 Pedal Down and 4 Release Samples
    Normal price $139, Group Buy Price $69.50, save $69.50

When recording the White Grand, we also captured a second stereo pair, this time making things a bit smoother. Mind you, still crisp and clear, but a mellower side of White Grand

White Grand II - WG Bundle
    The only studio grand you will need

White Grand and White Sister comes in a bundle called "White Grand II"
    Normal price: $189, Group Buy price: $94.50

Vertikal - The Piano Alternative
    When a Grand gets too grand....

Vertikal Jazz Demo
    Vertikal Pop Demo
    Piano used - Yamaha MJ5 Upright Piano
    Size - 14.9 Gb (Both perspectives
    48 Samples/Recorded note, 16 Pedal Up, 16 Pedal Down and 16 Release Samples
    Impulses for Convoluting included
    Normal price $150, Group Buy Price $75, save $75

Sometimes a song needs something extra. Maybe the grand piano you use sounds too big, too grand. That's when you try the Vertikal!. It's an upright piano recorded in two different perspectives called Jazz and Pop. The Pop perspective is closer, brighter and the Jazz perspective a bit softer.

Rain Piano
    There is nothing like it!

Rain Piano Demo
    Piano used - Nordiska Piano Upright
    Size - 710 Mb
    16 Samples/Recorded note, 8 Pedal Up, 8 Pedal Down
    Normal price $50, Group Buy Price $50, save $25

This piano was recorded a couple of years ago and it's not as technically advanced as our newer pianos, but it's still one of my favourites!
    It was recorded after I've listened a lot to "Mule Variations" with Tom Waits, and I just fallen in love with the piano sound on that recording.
    It sounded like a piano that's been out in the rain for a couple of days! Jussi, the piano technician we usually uses on our recordings and one of Sweden s best tuners got instructions to make the piano sound this way, but still perfectly in tune. I can tell you that this was something that he never had done before! By carefully detuning one of the three strings that makes a piano note, keeping the other two in tune, he managed to get an instrument that delivers a sound so unique and full of charm but still perfectly in tune.
    At $25 I would recommend you to add this to your Group Buy, or if you already entered, get this too! You won’t regret it!!!!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Re: SampleTekk Piano Comparison

If these pianos ever appear as RTAS plugs I will become an instant customer.

Giga and I have had a long and messy divorce (irreconcilable differences).

I always love hearing the ambient Black Grand.

Amazing.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by football
    If these pianos ever appear as RTAS plugs I will become an instant customer.

Giga and I have had a long and messy divorce (irreconcilable differences).
    GVI will be RTAS, so you're in luck!! You will be able to load any of these into GVI.

I say bring it on then!

I'll need it for my new Mac and if memory serves me it may be a bit of a wait for the Mac right?

football, I have black grand, rain piano and now white grand and white sister from this group buy. you won't regret it - but the group buy is ending soon so act now!

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    football, I have black grand, rain piano and now white grand and white sister from this group buy. you won't regret it - but the group buy is ending soon so act now!
    Yup, five days to go......
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Can you tell me something about the Steiny D / Steiny D Close?
    (There are probably no release sample?!)
    Very good bargain nevertheless!!!

Later I can upgrade to Black Grand.

Is your site offline, Worra?
    How much is shipping to Germany?

Regards,

Justus

Quote Originally Posted by Justus
    Can you tell me something about the Steiny D / Steiny D Close?
    (There are probably no release sample?!)
    Very good bargain nevertheless!!!

Later I can upgrade to Black Grand.

Is your site offline, Worra?
    How much is shipping to Germany?

Regards,

Justus
    Steiny D and Steiny D Close are smaller subsets from the Black Grand Close and Ambient perspectives.
    Black Grand was recorded using three different microphone settings, you can read more abou them here.
    Bothe Steiny D and Steiny D Close has 24 samples/recorded note and the samples are maximum 12 seconds.
    Black Grand has 48 samples/recorded note.
    There's release samples in both Steiny D and Steiny D Close. There are 8 samples pedal up, 8 pedal down and 8 release samples.
    There's upgrade paths to the full Black Grand available.
    If you buy DirectDownloads (available for Steiny D nad Steiny D Close), you don't pay any shipping. You just download them. On DVD shipping is $10 to Germany.
    I just checked, and then our site was up.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Go Back to forum