• Register
  • Help

Topic: Laptop Freak Out during live show

Share/Bookmark

Laptop Freak Out during live show

hello everyone. just thought i would share a bad experience i had at a show this weekend, see if anyone has suggestions.

i joined a band here in austin replacing a keyboard player. in my live set up i use a nord electro, and then an m-audio 88pro or whatever it's called, with all of the knobs and buttons. the m-audio is feeding my dell laptop (windows xp). the laptop is running EnergyXT, which hosts:

-kontakt (using white grand jr, an electric piano, and a mellotron flute)
    -Pro53
    -guitar rig
    -amplitube
    -TremoLLama and DelayLLama (couple of plugin's that are pretty cool for tremelo and delay)
    -GlaciVerb ( i think that's the name)

anyway, during one of the songs the singer comes over and playes the piano himself, using the m-audio->kontakt->white grand jr. while i play away on the nord electro, which for this song only is sending midi to another instance of kontakt playing an electric piano through a ton of effects with amplitube and glaciverb.

during the song, right in the middle, the computer started acting really weird...the notes we were playing kind of got 'stuck.' if we pressed another note, it would play some of the notes we had previously played but had not heard yet...it was like a REALLY bad delay, and only more input from our keyboards would trigger it.

we had to stop playing our parts while the rest of the band continued on. when the song was over i closed energyXT and reloaded the setup and all was well.

i don't know what the problem is. the only thing i can guess is that this singer guy hardly ever let's off the sustain pedal. he likes the 'effect' of holding it down throughout the song, but i have asked him to let off of the pedal every once in a while because this is about the 3rd time this has happened...only the other 2 were in practices, not a gig.

does anyone else think that this might be the problem? if so is there a parameter in kontakt i can change that would help with this issue? i felt like crap for letting the band down when i had the gear problem. i think in the future i will just have the singer play the standard piano sound on the nord while i play the m-audio. but the white grand jr just sounds so much better!

my laptop is a 3.4GHz P4, with 1gigram.

thanks for any suggestions!

todd

Re: Laptop Freak Out during live show

Playing live? Get Giga. Even 2.54 is fine. It handles excessive poly very well. And yes, a constant sustain pedal with long samples is deadly.

But either way, have a patch from the MIDI keyboard ready to go. If your PC is going to have a hardware failure, it'll probably choose to have it on stage. Darn egotistical computers!

-JF

Sounds like a case of too many voices brought on by liberal use of the sustain pedal. Reduce you voice settings and/or set voice stealing to a more aggressive setting. Try re-enacting the scenario at home, i.e. play a whole song with the sustain pedal down. If you can make it through several times with no problems you are probably safe for the gig.

Quote Originally Posted by dvincent
    Sounds like a case of too many voices brought on by liberal use of the sustain pedal. Reduce you voice settings and/or set voice stealing to a more aggressive setting. Try re-enacting the scenario at home, i.e. play a whole song with the sustain pedal down. If you can make it through several times with no problems you are probably safe for the gig.

sorry for my ignorance...i'm more of a player than a tweeker...but how do you make the changes to stated above? is that a global parameter in kontakt...or is it a parameter you set up in each nki file?

thanks again for the help!

todd

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I'd tell the singer to get his own f-ing keyboard rig if he wants to play.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

But seriously, there's a "maximum" voices setting on each instrument you load into Kontakt. Just choke it down to a setting that you can completely torture and not cause to flake out, and you should be defended against the singer's pedal-abuse.

And definitely if you were running GigaStudio instead of Kontakt, this would be a total non issue. This is something that NI should be doing on a global level, but unfortunately polyphony management is not on their radar. You might try contacting Xavier on this board, and see if he'd be willing to share his "self mask" script for you. That will force Kontakt to behave more like GigaStudio in terms of polyphony management, and will reduce the chances that a pedal-happy performance will turn your expensive computer into a doorstop.

Kontakt Manual:

p. 91 - Voice Stealing

I can't do it all for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    You might try contacting Xavier on this board, and see if he'd be willing to share his "self mask" script for you.
    This script is really very useful. Fortunately, it's already part of Kontakt 2.
    For Todd: Open the script editor (green on the right), then click on "Script" (grey, on the left) and go to "Utilities/Self Mask".

Greetings
    Marc

My Post Pianos act like that. Basically it's caused from IR's or Harmonic Scripts that emulate note off, Sound Board Resonance and Sustain Pedal "effects". Try removing those presets and only use the basic samples.

Go Back to forum