• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Conducting classes at Julliard? NOT!!!

Share/Bookmark

Conducting classes at Julliard? NOT!!!

So, I am looking to take some conducting classes/courses. Working a full-time job means I would be doing this evenings and weekends. Now, the ultimate goal here is not to be able to conduct the Whatever Philharmonic, but simply to broaden my horizons and get started with learning the ins and outs of conducting. So, living in NYC, naturally the first place I called is Julliard. They do not offer a class or two, but instead an entire graduate program. How much? TWENTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS. And that's only for one semester. That may (or may not) be in line with other schools, I don't know, but seems rather high. Damn, I could buy TWO VSL Cubes with that! And what's more is, the deadling for fall is Dec. 1. So, if I apply today, I wouldn't start until September 2007 - almost two years from now.

Anyone have any ideas that are a wee bit cheaper, and sooner? lol

Re: Conducting classes at Julliard? NOT!!!

Anyone have any ideas that are a wee bit cheaper, and sooner?
    Yeah, anywhere else. Call Manahttan, NYU, and New School.

Maybe SUNY Purchase...cos it's a state school...but v. good for the arts.

Mr. Wraith,

You might try contacting some of the individual instructors for private lessons, too. Most college instructors are available through email and I would bet several take on private students. Hell, last I heard Corigliano only charges $150 for a composition lesson with him. Let's see, $24,000 divided by $150 per lesson.....(removes both shoes)...That's 160 lessons! I would bet you could find a good rate for a quality instructor.

Derek

Here is what i would do:

1# I wouLD BUY THE CUBE.

2# i WOULD BUY BOOKS(THEORY, ORCHESTRATION ect...)

3# I would get private lessons once a week or every to weeks
    or on a need to know bases, maby he could assist you by
    email?...a little bit of both maby?
    Ask him to show you how to analyse a score. In general
    i would ask him for advise on how to start this task, what book
    to buy, whitch part of the book is essencial for a good start.
    What are the fondamental of the music systeme.(i assume you
    reed music)

4# I would buy alot of music CD ''whit'' the scores and analyse
    theme. They do alot of that in scools btw.

5# And i would start writing as soon as possible to stay creative,
    try not to intellectualyse to mutch, stay spontanious
    it's easy to get cut up in the technical aspect of things and to loose your creativity.
    And remember, like many before me said, writing for real orch.
    and for samples are tow deferent things and goin to scools is
    not the way to learn midi orch..IMO.

..We learn how to walk by trying and falling and trying and ...
    So start ASAP.

P.S. I would rather invest in a couple of PCs, samples, software,
    book, and touth myself as mutch as possible + it's more rewarding and you get to learn at you own past(fast or slow),
    get yourself a printer to analyse your score maby?

Ho! ermmitage59 made a couple of book suggestions., here it is,
    i git more if you want?

Hermitage59

A couple of good books that will help if you want to understand more about writing for orchestra.

Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov 'Principles of orchestration.' (The 'bible')

Berlioz, with adittional editing by Richard Strauss.
    'Treatise on instrumentation.'

Alfred Blatter. 'Instrumentation and Orchestration.'

There are examples in all three books, and rimsky-korsakov is in fact two books in one with examples from his own work. The Berlioz draws heavily from Wagner, Beethoven, etc. Blatter makes more modern distinctions.

So between the three, you cover a fair chunk of orchestral history and instrumentation technique.

Regards,

Alex.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, that's what i would do. Does that make sence?
    well, it does for me anyway.
    Last edited by geronimo001; 01-30-2006 at 03:27 PM. Reason: mistake again

Quote Originally Posted by RiffWraith
    So, I am looking to take some conducting classes/courses. Working a full-time job means I would be doing this evenings and weekends. Now, the ultimate goal here is not to be able to conduct the Whatever Philharmonic, but simply to broaden my horizons and get started with learning the ins and outs of conducting. So, living in NYC, naturally the first place I called is Julliard. They do not offer a class or two, but instead an entire graduate program. How much? TWENTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS. And that's only for one semester. That may (or may not) be in line with other schools, I don't know, but seems rather high. Damn, I could buy TWO VSL Cubes with that! And what's more is, the deadling for fall is Dec. 1. So, if I apply today, I wouldn't start until September 2007 - almost two years from now.

Anyone have any ideas that are a wee bit cheaper, and sooner? lol
    It's very standard. Go private and get a mentor unless you need the degree.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Having come out of Juilliard I can say with all confidence that unless you want to come out and conduct major symphony orchestras I would not waste your time or money.

Suny has a decent program. Manhattan School of music has a great program over the summer for about $4000 if I remember correctly. That ones cool because you also get a tape.

Also you could contact Jeffrey Milarsky in New York through Juilliard for private lessons. He's quite good.

Or, Alan R. Kay.

Ars

I would say that the best thing to do is watch as many conductors who also teach as possible in action on the podium and in the classroom (if you can); then make your decision. Remember that the rehearsal is the part that will let you know how good they really are.

Other than that, have a few trial lessons with various people and see how you get on. If you have a mental list of questions before the lesson, then you will soon know how much they can offer...! If you want to PM me I can help to provide you with such list.

D

Thanks again for the suggestions. Nope, no degree is needed here, and what's funny, is I actually called Jeffrey Milarsky in September. He is at Columbia, and a good freind works there. She suggested I call him, and did, but he never returned my call. Guess I will try him again.

Cheers.

From the Juilliard School Website - evening division

http://www.juilliard.edu/asp/evdiv_o...l%20Conducting

Title:Orchestral Conducting
    Instructor:Vincent La Selva
    Course Code:
    EVCRT 461 Credits:
    2 credits per semester.
    open Cost:
    $600 per semester.
    Date and Time:
    Section 1: Mondays. 5:30-7:30 p.m.
    Begins September 12 (Fall), January 16 (Spring)
    Section 2: Tuesdays. 6:30-8:30 p.m.
    Begins September 13 (Fall); January 16 (Spring)
    Description:
    A practical course in orchestral conducting, including baton technique, score analysis, and the study of technical and musical problems involved in conducting Classical and contemporary works. Interview required.

Interviews
    Fall Semester
    September 1 and 6. 4:30-7:30 p.m.
    Spring Semester
    January 11 and 12. 4:30-7:30 p.m.

I had just happened to see this a couple nights ago. I wonder why you weren't told about this?

Good luck, and happy conducting!

Go Back to forum