• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is there a max length to user created REX files in RMX?

Share/Bookmark

Is there a max length to user created REX files in RMX?

How big can user REX files be in RMX. Is there a limit to either file size or length in RMX or ReCycle? I know RMX is limited to 128 slices, but it didnt specify how big those slices could be. For example, could I chop up say a 8 min song into sections, and trigger them in RMX? I dont have recycle (yet) to test this on my own.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Is there a max length to user created REX files in RMX?

RMX is not limited by number of slices, but if you have more than 128, then you won't be able to drag and drop MIDI files in slice menu mode (since MIDI can't handle more than 128 notes)

No limit on time though. For example, the remixer M'Ocean Worker uses RMX for chopping up 5 minute tunes. :-)

Cool! Thanks for the reply Eric!

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    RMX is not limited by number of slices, but if you have more than 128, then you won't be able to drag and drop MIDI files in slice menu mode (since MIDI can't handle more than 128 notes)

No limit on time though. For example, the remixer M'Ocean Worker uses RMX for chopping up 5 minute tunes. :-)

Everytime I use the sage converter to convert (wav.) to (Rex 2) then try
    to use that file in RMX it plays only about 10 bars then the sound fades off
    to nothing. Example: 4min -23 sec wav. file only plays 10 bars. What is the deal here? You said it plays with no time limit.

[quote=Ratman]Everytime I use the Recycle to convert (wav.) to (Rex 2) then try to use (Sage Cnvt) that file in RMX it plays only about 10 bars then the sound fades off to nothing. Example: 3min -23 sec wav. file only plays 10 bars. What is the deal here? You said it plays with no time limit.I have the bars set in recycle to around 91bars.4beats ,sliced on about 60 the sensitivity slider.

The auto-sensitivity method for slicing in ReCycle isn't always the best way to go. A single slice in RMX can only last for about 8-10 seconds, so your quickie auto-slicing is probably not very good.

It would help to know what you are trying to accomplish though...making an entire tune a single REX file is not a great way to work for many different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    The auto-sensitivity method for slicing in ReCycle isn't always the best way to go. A single slice in RMX can only last for about 8-10 seconds, so your quickie auto-slicing is probably not very good.

It would help to know what you are trying to accomplish though...making an entire tune a single REX file is not a great way to work for many different reasons.

Please explain reasons why you don't recommend to make entire tune into Rex.

Well what we are trying to do is this, as I stated in my request for help was
    since there are no inputs in RMX (which there should be) I have to take the track , convert to Rex file to input it into RMX. 1) I really like the FX features in RMX. 2) also use the drums or whatever sounds Rmx has ,which are really good , example channel 1 track , channel 2 maybe bass kick , channel 3 snares, channel 4 guitars and so on....

I use Live 5 which is the easiest , best sequencer on the market and getting
    better.Works good with any spectrasonic products, never have any problems.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman
    Please explain reasons why you don't recommend to make entire tune into Rex.
    You can do an entire tune, but it's better to do it in sections of 4-16 bar loops.

Some reasons for not doing it as a single file:

• Editing slices in a 4 minute song is nearly impossible to keep track of in ReCycle.

• ReCycle has some max limits that RMX doesn't have.

• A full tune as a single file might be tricky to keep playing in beat sync without using the MIDI file.

• MIDI files can only use 128 MIDI notes, so although RMX can play many more slices, it can be really tricky to sync to your host if you can't use a MIDI file.

• Takes up a huge amount of RAM if you do it as huge long files.

Well what we are trying to do is this, as I stated in my request for help was since there are no inputs in RMX (which there should be) I have to take the track , convert to Rex file to input it into RMX. 1) I really like the FX features in RMX. 2) also use the drums or whatever sounds Rmx has ,which are really good , example channel 1 track , channel 2 maybe bass kick , channel 3 snares, channel 4 guitars and so on....
    Sure....just ReCycle them in smaller sections and you'll be fine. It's a cool way to work and opens up many possibilities.

Go Back to forum