• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Question re my new 2nd HD drive, and sample libs

Share/Bookmark

Question re my new 2nd HD drive, and sample libs

Hi all -- I just installed my new 250gig HD drive (to help out my wheezing 160gig drive that's pretty maxed out!), and I want to start moving stuff onto it.... here are my basic understandings, help me if you have any tips:

1. I should have my various software applications (Garritan, Colossus, SO Gold, etc.) on my existing C drive, and have their respective sample libraries on the new drive. (I've heard that's supposed to increase efficiency). Is that correct?

2. For my existing libraries, can I just move 'em on over to the new drive (using cut and paste?). Or should I do it from the disks? Or (horrors) should I uninstall and re-install them all, specifying the new drive path?

3. One package I have, GigaStudio 3, has simply never played along well with others. It gets cranky and crashes things quickly. If I didn't like the samples I'd sell it in a heartbeat. Anyhow, I've HEARD (though this could be b.s.) that it has difficulties because GigaStudio runs "below" Windows, at the "kernel" level, whatever that is. But GigaStudio's booklet ALSO says that it's best to have its software and sample libs stored on separate drives. So, I'm thinking of installing GigaStudio onto the new HD drive (where Windoze doesn't live), and GigaS's sample libs on my old C drive. So, still separate, but reversed from the others. Is that a good idea, bad idea, or won't make any difference?

4. What, if anything, might the optimal impact be for my other two DAW programs (Sonar 5, and Finale 2006). Can these two guys just continue to live and work on the old C drive?

I know that's a lot, but I'd sure appreciate the feedback!

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

Re: Question re my new 2nd HD drive, and sample libs

Well, I don't have much in the way of an answer. But it seems to me that an important consideration is just what it is that is filling your drive. Data, or application software?

I keep data files on a separate drive, frequently backed up on a third drive. Thusly,if operating system drive self-destructs, data remains intact. And since operating system drive is also backed up frequently, crashes are not more than a minor annoyance.

I will be watching for the responses, as I am always interested in increasing efficiency.

Didn't you recently have a big problem with possible loss of data, and a short fuse deadline? I have wondered how you escaped that danger/

Richard

Steve,

For a sample library like GPO, where samples are loaded into memory, not streamed, there is no reason why the samples cannot be on the same drive a your programs. Once they are loaded, the disk is (mostly) out of the picture.

If you are streaming samples (Giga or GPO with DFD enabled), the purists would have a 3rd drive dedicated to samples.

I think the general recommendation for SONAR and other sequencers is that the audio drive should be separate from the drive on which streaming samples are stored. In a well-tuned 2-drive system, where no unnecessary services are running, it would be best to have the samples on, say, the C: drive with the programs, and store audio on the D: drive.

The basic idea is that you don't want a single pyhsical drive thrashing around reading samples on the fly, while trying to write audio at the same time.

BTW, ditto Richard, did you ever resolve your problem with the corrupt SONAR project file (or is it too painful to recall)?
    Bill

Hi Bill, well it IS a bit painful, actually! (LOL, I'd forgotten that I posted in the midst of that -- or perhaps "post" is too delicate a term, maybe "cry of pain" is better). I did indeed lose everything, and even the good folks at Cakewalk couldn't do a thing for me. So, I've become even more fanatical about backing up than I was prior (and I was pretty fanatical).

Thanks for your other feedback re the harddrive issue. So the one outlying issue for me still is: would it be okay for me just to copy over my various sample libraries to the new HD? Or is that somehow not kosher?

Steve
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

Quote Originally Posted by billp

BTW, ditto Richard, did you ever resolve your problem with the corrupt SONAR project file (or is it too painful to recall)?
    Well, I think so, but I can't remember the details. I was trying to recall the matter just a few days ago, but the details still elude me. I guess I will have to search here for my posts regarding the matter!

Richard

Thumbs up Re: Question re my new 2nd HD drive, and sample libs

Here's my experience with multiple drives. I keep all programs and operating systems on drive C: When I had two drives, I used the second drive for data, samples. When I moved to a three drive system I first checked to see of the program had some method of creating a path to the sample files-(for example, Kontakt in its database function allows you to pick a specific location and rebuild the database around that location. )

I then copied (not moved) the files to the new location and tried to rebuild the database in that new location (some programs may have an "options" menu for sample location) If the rebuild was successful, I moved all the files to the new location rebuilt once again-shecked for success and then deleted the original samples.

On one program (don't remember which now, I had to go into the registry and change the location because the options menu in the main progtram wouldn't "stick" (was fine while the program was open but referted back to the default on closure)

Sooo- start small-do it in steps, checking all the time, and in most instances I think you'll be OK

Good luck,

Fred

Oops,

If the rebuild was successful, I moved all the files to the
    should read
    "If the rebuild was successful, I COPIED all the files to the...

Fred

I use three drives. I keep my samples on the largest drive E: (200 gigs) and direct my programs to find them there (options on any of the players and set your search to the drive you have GPO samples installed on).

I use the third drive F: for all my working files (notation program files, sequencing files, .wav files etc.).

And of course, I keep on my program files on C: wiht the OS. I also defrag twice a week and virus scans (including - spyware, ad-aware) at least once a week.

Hope this helps,
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by stm
    So the one outlying issue for me still is: would it be okay for me just to copy over my various sample libraries to the new HD? Or is that somehow not kosher?
    Steve,

One thing just occurred to me. It's possible that installing a new drive will change your machine id upon which your GPO Kontakt player key is based. If this is true, you'll find out when you start up GPO. If so, you'll have to go through some hoops at Native Instruments to deactivate the old key and get a new one.

For SONAR, leave it installed on C: but I recommend that you point to the new D: drive for your project and project audio files. The folders/paths are specified in "Options | Global" on the SONAR menu.

I'll stand by my original recommendation that, if you're not out of space on C:, leave the GPO samples there. The samples, especially streaming samples, should not co-reside with audio, if possible.

But...since GPO is by default not streaming, and if you really want to move the GPO sample library to D: with your audio, you can uninstall it and reinstall it on D:. I did that on my old machine. You can also simply move the "GPO Library" folder to "D:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\GPO Library" and do a simple registry hack that will cause GPO to look for the samples on the D: drive. If you want detailed instructions for this, let me know.

Important note on changing the library location: Any existing SONAR projects will contain embedded references to the libraries in their current location. If you move the libraries and then open those projects, you will be prompted to allow a search to take place to locate the libraries. It's now faster than it used to be. Once the libraries have been "re-found", you can save the project and it will no longer prompt for the library location.

I don't know about other sample libraries.

Glad to hear your maintaining project backups now!!
    Bill

Finale 06 also seems to embed library paths in .mus files, which means you will have to do the same searches, as Bill mentions for Sonar, when opening old Finale 06 files.

Go Back to forum