• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to move an instrument

Share/Bookmark

How to move an instrument

I want to move an instrument one octave as it's reach goes beyond my keyboard range. I've just searched this forum and on the net but have not found the answer. I would be most grateful if somebody could help me out one this one (I'm a GS3 novice user).

Thanks for your time,

Mark

Re: How to move an instrument

Hi Mark,

Load an instrument into a track. The instrument will also appear in the instrument panel in the lower-right corner of GS3. Right click the instrument, and you get some choices. You can probably figure it out from there. (I'm away from my GS3 PC right now, and don't remember the details.)

I'm hoping that GS4 allows us to transpose the instrument in the stack properties in the future. It would be very intuitive to select an instrument in the track, and slide it left and right. And maybe it should be "track Properties", rather than "stack properties", because some of the stack tweaks, like transpose, would be nice even when the track only has one instrument.

-JF

Doesn't your keyboard have a transpose function?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Doesn't your keyboard have a transpose function?
    Bill, my keyboard is the professional Yamaha DX21 (this is not a joke, haha, I even can't believe it!). I'm afraid the manual has desintegrated over time.

Jon, I think you're too positive about my GS3 abilities. I'll give it a try later today. It's indeed quite strange that there's no straightforward method to do this.

Thanks for your time, it's appreciated,

Mark

I got to this pretty quickly:

http://www.burp.nl/dx/

Click on the "manual" link on the upper right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I got to this pretty quickly:

http://www.burp.nl/dx/

Click on the "manual" link on the upper right.
    This is great! Now why didn't I think of that (I must be getting old).

Thanks Bill.

Okay, just to complete the process, here's how you transpose in Giga without having to open the Editor...

1) Load the instrument into any channel.

2) Right click the instrument in the lower right hand pane (Loaded Instruments), choose "iMIDI Rule Manager..."

3) Choose "Transpose Instrument" in the left hand pane, and click "Load ->".

4) Select "Transpose Instrument" in the Active Rules pane and click "edit.."

5) Slide the slider up or down. The limit is +/- 2 octaves.

6) Click OK, then click OK again.

7) Test.

BTW, moving the slider to the right makes it so the key that you play on the keyboard will be further to the left, if you want the same tone.

It's all very easy, once you open up the iMIDI rules and find the thing...

-JF

Wow Jon, thank you so much for sharing. You're the best.

Btw, I'd also like to thank you for starting the thread about working pc configurations for Giga. That thread should be a "sticky", it's so useful for people who are considering purchasing a Giga dedicated machine (as I am).

Thanks again,

Mark

Edit: I just transposed the instrument one octave. As always, it's simple when you know how to do it. Thanks Jon for helping me out.

No problem. I'm glad it worked out!

-JF

Go Back to forum