• Register
  • Help

Topic: ACID 6 - Another Sequencer Option?

Share/Bookmark

ACID 6 - Another Sequencer Option?

I don't know about others here, but I've never been thrilled with the Sonar and Cubase UIs. I'm a PC guy, so maybe DP and Logic are better, but I'm not so sure.

That said, I've always loved the ACID and Vegas UIs. They're easy to learn, fast to use and reliable. Vegas doesn't do MIDI. ACID has it, but it's clear that they never really invested in it. However, it looks like that will change for version 6.

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/pro...6_brochure.pdf

Has anybody had a chance to see it in use, possibly at NAMM?

I have an older copy of ACID, and will almost certainly upgrade. If it links to Vegas projects, I'll be livin' large.

-JF

Re: ACID 6 - Another Sequencer Option?

I have 4 & 5. 4 had no midi to save its name. 5 did but it was a chore to set up and neither multitracked. 6? Well, let's hope they finally got the bugs out and made it more stable.

The key word here for me as soon as I checked it out is "MultiTrack". Looks as if they finally got the hint. Now to go back and read more.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Styxx

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Man, Styxx is looking WAY like Joaz. Weird, weird, weird.

ACID 6 MIDI is a whole new thing. Don't ask me how I know, and I won't have to tell you any lies. Check out the demo when it comes out.

I prefer the profitable days of performing, thank you.
    Styxx

[quote=Bruce A. Richardson]Man, Styxx is looking WAY like Joaz. Weird, weird, weird.
    quote]
    It seems we were twins seperated at birth. Its a bit like those Shakespeare comedies.
    Later on, our wives dress up like men, and me and styxx wear geogeous gowns.
    Still................. Alls well that ends well...........
    regards

Thumbs up Re: ACID 6 - Another Sequencer Option?

Although I mainly use a Mac for audio production (Digital Performer), I keep PCs going for Giga and Acid. I hope Acid 6 delivers on the midi end because it is such a strong product for loop-based production (the best IMO), and a strong midi sequencing side would be killer.

The makers of the Acid and Vegas (now owned by Sony) are true innovators, delivering software as refined as Apple's in terms of the GUI, ease of use and functionality for loop-based production and native video production, but with a much more robust feature set and at a lower cost to boot! My "Mac only" friends were doing a victory dance when Soundtrack, Apple Loops, Final Cut, etc., came out until I showed them that Acid/Vegas had all those features, and more, for years before Apple "discovered" them.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aplanchard
    My "Mac only" friends were doing a victory dance when Soundtrack, Apple Loops, Final Cut, etc., came out until I showed them that Acid/Vegas had all those features, and more, for years before Apple "discovered" them.
    That's because Apple hired Chris Moulios from Sonic Foundry (now Sony). Not a coincidence!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    ACID 6 MIDI is a whole new thing.
    That's no lie. Just looking at the screenshots tells me that they reworked it from the ground up.

Last year at NAB I met one of the SonycFoundry developers on the show floor. That evening I saw him again at In-n-Out, and we had dinner together.

I told him how I'd love to have MIDI in Vegas, and he explained that they differentiate the two products - ACID is more for music, and Vegas is more for video. I then pointed out that if ACID is their top music app, then why was the MIDI implementation so lame?

It's great that they're now taking MIDI seriously. And all because of the glory of the Double-Double burger. Well, that and Bruce making the case!

So, Bruce, I won't ask you to reveal anything about the product. I'll just ask if you plan on using ACID 6 for sequencing in the future. (You know Sonar inside and out, so I know that you won't change lightly. But I also know that you prefer tracking in the Sony products. Maybe that one-stop shopping thing will tip the balance for projects that include both sequencing and tracking.)

And, yes, I'll download the demo the first day that it's available.

-JF

looks nice, one advantage over SONAR could be the the CD import. My son's pretty well trained on SONAR, but getting 2-channel beats (from peer producer cd's) into it is a bit cumbersome. Instead of teaching him a new CD extraction app I'd prefer to just say: go to "File | Import from CD"
    -david abraham
    Facebook

Go Back to forum