• Register
  • Help

Topic: Memory Meter

Share/Bookmark

Memory Meter

In giga 2.54, the memory meter meant something. If it said 78% memory used, you knew you had about 20% more to add instruments. I know this from experience and loaded sounds to well over 90% without any problems.

But with Giga 3, the memory meter seems a bit useless. I have loaded now 65% of memory, with a small amount in yellow toward the right end of the meter. When I try and load more instruments, eventually I get the error message:

"unknown system error. Would you like to continue with loading of the performance?"

At this point I cannot load any more instruments even though the meter says I have about 35% more remaining memory available for loading sounds. The manual says the memory meter reflects how much memory is available for loading instruments. I experimented with the memory allocations settings and discovered that preset 2 lets me load more sounds, but only up to 65% in the memory meter. Is there a way to be able to load instruments up to 90 or 95% as in Giga 2.54?

Thanks,

Jerry

Re: Memory Meter

Short answer is no; I don't know of anyone who's gone beyond about 72% and not suffered crashes..
    D

I guess I am doing OK then, I loaded 95 large instruments from the VSL, 11 gig files, each file containing from 8-10 instruments. Though the meter inaccuracy isn't an admirable feature, I am in fact getting more into memory than with Giga 2.54. So that is progress.

Jerry
    www.jerrygerber.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Short answer is no; I don't know of anyone who's gone beyond about 72% and not suffered crashes..
    D

Typically version 3 can get about 30% more samples loaded than version 2.5 - but yes, the meter is very much inaccurate. On the other hand, it is consistant, so once you have the figure where your system maxes out, then that is your 100%.

It's a simple thing to read in the documentation:

"On a system with 2Gig of RAM installed, when everything is properly configured, the maximum memory that Windows XP will allow the application is between 65% and 70% of the available memory."

The memory meter is showing you what's going on as a percentage of ALL the RAM in your machine. It does not show you the percentage of RAM that Windows allows the app to have.

- G

Hi,

Where did you read that, I am just curious, I can't find it in the manual. In any event, it certainly corresponds with my system.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    It's

a simple thing to read in the documentation:

"On a system with 2Gig of RAM installed, when everything is properly configured, the maximum memory that Windows XP will allow the application is between 65% and 70% of the available memory."

The memory meter is showing you what's going on as a percentage of ALL the RAM in your machine. It does not show you the percentage of RAM that Windows allows the app to have.

- G

Quote Originally Posted by jerrygerber
    Hi,

Where did you read that, I am just curious, I can't find it in the manual. In any event, it certainly corresponds with my system.

Jerry
    If I'm not mistaken, it isn't in the manual. I think it's in the release notes for one of the updates.

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    If I'm not mistaken, it isn't in the manual. I think it's in the release notes for one of the updates.

Belbin
    Yes, on page 13. It's been there since 3.03.

- G

Hmm, I don't see it, but that's ok. I've got 95 instruments loaded in my winds/brass machine, very large VSL samples, and everything is stable, finally. Ah, nothing like persistence when dealing with such complex musical instruments. I've got a bit more work in organizing my strings/percussion machine and then I can get back to composing.

Thanks for all the help, I really depend on hearing the experience of other musicians who work with this technology, it's a shame that Tascam's support doesn't match their products.

These forums are extremely useful for comparing notes.

Jerry
    www.jerrygerber.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    Yes, on page 13. It's been there since 3.03.

- G

Lightbulb Re: Memory Meter

There are a number of different memory preset configurations available for Giga3 users with more than 1.5 GB of RAM on their system.

To change your memory configuration open the GigaStudio System Settings and click the "Troubleshoot" Tab. Click the "Configure" button under System Memory Configuration and choose a preset from the "use preset configuration" drop down menu.

Giga defaults to XP memory defaults so for users with >1.5GB RAM, a preset other than the default would result in a more accurate metering.

Go Back to forum