• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Arco-Pizz in Sibelius 4/GPO

Share/Bookmark

Arco-Pizz in Sibelius 4/GPO

I've been a Sibelius user from several years now, and recently I purchased GPO (It is wonderful!). Normally I used to have Sibelius playing sounds from a keyboard, and when I wrote "Arco" or "Pizz" tecnhiques on a strings staff, it switched the sound automatically. I am aware that GPO is not configured into the GM standard, but I would like to know if there is any workaround to do this. I would appreciate any help you guys can give me. Many thanks in advance.

Re: Arco-Pizz in Sibelius 4/GPO

Quote Originally Posted by Pedrito Lopez
    I've been a Sibelius user from several years now, and recently I purchased GPO (It is wonderful!). Normally I used to have Sibelius playing sounds from a keyboard, and when I wrote "Arco" or "Pizz" tecnhiques on a strings staff, it switched the sound automatically. I am aware that GPO is not configured into the GM standard, but I would like to know if there is any workaround to do this. I would appreciate any help you guys can give me. Many thanks in advance.
    I'm unclear about the problem. If you write pizz, you get pizz - isn't that what you want? What do you want the program to do, instead? I'm happy to help - but need more information.

R. Pearl

R. Pearl:Thanks for your quick reply, and first of all forgive my english (I'm a spanish-speaking arranger and composer from Venezuela).

Let me explain my problem: Let's say I create a new score in Sibelius with a Solo Violin staff and write some notes. If I play the written violin line with a GM keyboard or sound module, whenever I put an "arco" or "pizz" marking on the staff, the playing device automatically switches to the desired sound.

Now with GPO, after going through the initial setup (booting Garritan Studio, loading a Violin sample in Kontakt, booting Sibelius, make the proper adjustments in Mixer section, etc,) I can make Sibelius play the Violin line (arco) with no problems, but it doesn't change to "pizz" when score says so.

I assume that I have to load a "pizz" sample so GPO can play those notes, but an the same time I suppose that it means that this pizz sample has to be in a different Midi channel in Kontakt, am I right? If so, how do I do in Sibelius?. As far as I know,in Sibelius you can't change Midi channels in the middle of a staff, so the two Midi channels could alternate in the same staff, triggering their respective sounds in Kontakt. The only solution that comes to me is to make an additional violin staff (with a different Midi channel) just for "pizz" sounds, but for me this is only a workaround just for playback, but is not logical both in graphic and practical terms.

I would appreciate any help that you can give me to solve this problem.

R. Pearl:Thanks for your quick reply, and first of all forgive my english (I'm a spanish-speaking arranger and composer from Venezuela).

Let me explain my problem: Let's say I create a new score in Sibelius with a Solo Violin staff and write some notes. If I play the written violin line with a GM keyboard or sound module, whenever I put an "arco" or "pizz" marking on the staff, the playing device automatically switches to the desired sound.

Now with GPO, after going through the initial setup (booting Garritan Studio, loading a Violin sample in Kontakt, booting Sibelius, make the proper adjustments in Mixer section, etc,) I can make Sibelius play the Violin line (arco) with no problems, but it doesn't change to "pizz" when score says so.

I assume that I have to load a "pizz" sample so GPO can play those notes, but an the same time I suppose that it means that this pizz sample has to be in a different Midi channel in Kontakt, am I right? If so, how do I do in Sibelius?. As far as I know,in Sibelius you can't change Midi channels in the middle of a staff, so the two Midi channels could alternate in the same staff, triggering their respective sounds in Kontakt. The only solution that comes to me is to make an additional violin staff (with a different Midi channel) just for "pizz" sounds, but for me this is only a workaround just for playback, but is not logical both in graphic and practical terms.

I would appreciate any help that you can give me to solve this problem.
    You don't need to load a seperate sample - simply load the KS Strings, or the Gagli KS (depending on whether you want group or solo). Write the arco and pizz in Technique text, and the sounds should change according to the text markings. If you look in the Dictionary Menu, you will see what triggers pizz. Perhaps it need a period at the end to be a proper abbreviation.

Let me know if this helps.

R. Pearl

If you load a KS instrument, you can switch articulations by entering the appropriate note on the staff. The note will be a note outside the range of the instrument. The problem this generates is that the note will be visible, but I think you can hide it. It is perhaps also possible to use a separate (hidden) staff using the same instrument, for the KS input.

I think this is the only way that GPO Studio will recognize articulation information.

When using Sibelius/GPO edition, the situation is different.

Let us know how you worked it out.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    If you load a KS instrument, you can switch articulations by entering the appropriate note on the staff. The note will be a note outside the range of the instrument. The problem this generates is that the note will be visible, but I think you can hide it. It is perhaps also possible to use a separate (hidden) staff using the same instrument, for the KS input.

I think this is the only way that GPO Studio will recognize articulation information.

When using Sibelius/GPO edition, the situation is different.

Let us know how you worked it out.

Richard
    Richard - of course, you are correct. I assumed it was Sib 4/GPO Edition. You answer is probably the one needed here.

R. Pearl

Thanks both R.Pearl and R. Wayland.

Your answers, although well explained still don't help me. Maybe I didn't give enough information to you.

I have used Sibelius since v.2 and recently I upgraded to Sib4, and I consider myself very efficient with this program as I use daily as a professional arranger. Regarding GPO, I purchased it last December. It is GPO first edition. It is not Sibelius/GPO Special Edition.

Regarding KS instruments, if I look for them at the directory of instruments in GPO what I found are the section strings (not solo strings) labeled "KS Combo" (I didn't find "Gagli KS" you mention, R. Pearl), including into them tremolo, trills, and pizzicato sounds for each of the quartet. If I load one of these combos what I get is -by default- a string section playing tremolo sound that can be switched to the other sounds by hiting the ks notes (E1-F1-G1-A1). I understand this perfectly, but this doesn't help me because what I need is to switch from normal arco sound (not tremolo) to pizzicato.

As I'm actually working in a string quartet arrangement, I load the "String Quartet Multi" on Kontakt and in each of the slots are automatically loaded the respective arco and pizz sounds, but the thing is that they are in 8 separate Midi channels (Ex: Violin Gagli Solo on ch 1 and Violin Gagli Pizz on ch 2, and so on). When I open the String Quartet in Sibelius, it assigns Violin 1 on Midi Ch 1 and Violin 2 on Midi Ch 2, so if I play this score with the Multi loaded in Kontakt what I get is Violin 1 playing arco and Violin 2 playing pizz all the way from the top of the score. This is not what I want.

What I need is the same that I get with a GM sound module: To switch flawlessly from arco sound to pizz sound on the same Sibelius staff. I really appreciate your kind help.

Thanks both R.Pearl and R. Wayland.

Your answers, although well explained still don't help me. Maybe I didn't give enough information to you.

I have used Sibelius since v.2 and recently I upgraded to Sib4, and I consider myself very efficient with this program as I use daily as a professional arranger. Regarding GPO, I purchased it last December. It is GPO first edition. It is not Sibelius/GPO Special Edition.

Regarding KS instruments, if I look for them at the directory of instruments in GPO what I found are the section strings (not solo strings) labeled "KS Combo" (I didn't find "Gagli KS" you mention, R. Pearl), including into them tremolo, trills, and pizzicato sounds for each of the quartet. If I load one of these combos what I get is -by default- a string section playing tremolo sound that can be switched to the other sounds by hiting the ks notes (E1-F1-G1-A1). I understand this perfectly, but this doesn't help me because what I need is to switch from normal arco sound (not tremolo) to pizzicato.

As I'm actually working in a string quartet arrangement, I load the "String Quartet Multi" on Kontakt and in each of the slots are automatically loaded the respective arco and pizz sounds, but the thing is that they are in 8 separate Midi channels (Ex: Violin Gagli Solo on ch 1 and Violin Gagli Pizz on ch 2, and so on). When I open the String Quartet in Sibelius, it assigns Violin 1 on Midi Ch 1 and Violin 2 on Midi Ch 2, so if I play this score with the Multi loaded in Kontakt what I get is Violin 1 playing arco and Violin 2 playing pizz all the way from the top of the score. This is not what I want.

What I need is the same that I get with a GM sound module: To switch flawlessly from arco sound to pizz sound on the same Sibelius staff. I really appreciate your kind help.

I think what you need to do is make certain you ahve the latest version of GPO - I think that your problem is that the arco/pizz are not in the same sample, correct? I believe this was changed in the later versions. I may be wrong, but you could post this on the general discussion thread.

Have you considered using the Sib/GPO Edition? As you already have Sib 4 and GPO, it is inexpensive to add on. And, you don't have to worry about the Keyswitches - just write pizz, arco, mute, etc.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

R. Pearl

Well, something strange here! I suggest you go the the Garritan site and download GPO Studio V.2.

It is not so different from the previous version, and installing it should take care of what appears to be a flaw in your previous installation. When you select load, solo strings, the first choice ought to be gagli ks. If not, there is a problem that you ought to contact Gary about. Probably would not hurt to uninstall the previous studio before installing the new version, but it is not necessary.

Richard

Mr. Wayland:

Although I already had GPO Studio V.2, I still downloaded it the newest version from Garritan's website. I uninstalled the original and installed the downloaded one, and followed your advice (select load, solo strings,) and the sample that shows as the first in the row is "Violin 1 Gagliano Ensemble 1" and not "gagli ks" as you say.

As this seems to be deeper waters, I better try contact Mr. Garritan to try to solve this mystery. Also, I'll try the general discussion thread.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Go Back to forum