• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cubase/Kontakt2 problem - Logic/Cakewalk/DP/Sonar/etc users feel free to chime in...

Share/Bookmark

Cubase/Kontakt2 problem - Logic/Cakewalk/DP/Sonar/etc users - FIGURED IT OUT...

Hi - I am having a problem with using K2 as a VSTi in Cubase. I am wondering if anyone else - sequencing platform/OS not withstanding - is seeing anything similar.

I have a multi, call it Strings1. I made this multi in K2 standalone mode. It consists of many different samples, dragged in from the browser, and each sample is routed to a specific MIDI channel. So, for example, Violins are {A}1, Violas are {A}2, etc. When I load an instance of K2 in Cubase, and then load this multi, all is fine - being that the instruments (samples) are assigned properly, the MIDI data actually does trigger the proper channels. So, when I play Cubase ch1, the data on that channel does in fact trigger the violin patch, and so on. The problem, however, is that Cubase's channel faders do nothing to control the MIDI volume being sent to K2. Seeing as though the faders are actually supposed to set the MIDI volume in the receiving device - be that outboard gear or a VSTi - this should work, in theory.

Well, it actually does work - sometimes. I have found that if I create a new project, and create a new multi from scratch while K2 is loaded in Cubase as a VSTi, then it works. Sometimes. And there is the real problem. There is no consistency here; the issue appears and disappears with no reason or warning. For example, I created a new project, created 3 MIDI channels, loaded K2, loaded 3 samples, routed them to {A}1, {A}2, and {A}3, and the Cubase mixer faders did in fact control the volume. Great. I then saved and closed the project. When I reopened, the Cubase mixer faders controlled the volume for channels 1 & 2, but not 3. I did nothing to change the project, nor the multi. And this is what I do not understand - why would this happen? This is not the only instance of this weirdness - I have seen this before, but can do nothing to recreate the problem; it is this inconsistent behavior that gets me. I have been communicating with another chap (heh, I said 'chap' ) on the Cubase forums, and he too is seeing this (and other) weirdness - but the key here is his behavior is inconsistent as well.

Anyone else have similar stuff going on? Anybody have any insight or suggestions? Thanks for taking the time to read, and for any responses.

Cheers.
    Last edited by RiffWraith; 01-28-2006 at 12:39 AM. Reason: really bad typos!

Re: Cubase/Kontakt2 problem - Logic/Cakewalk/DP/Sonar/etc users feel free to chime in...

Damm, i'm just about to order K2 to use in cubase and that's exactly the kind of thing that's stoping me from ordering. How does K2 behave in standalone mode for you, is it O.K.

btw, how am i suspose to tune some of the stuff in there

Re: Cubase/Kontakt2 problem - Logic/Cakewalk/DP/Sonar/etc users feel free to chime in...

Hey ger - I haven't done much in standalone mode - just assembled some multis. I am not sure what you mean by "how am i suspose to tune some of the stuff in there" - do you mean change the pitch of patches? Easy - simply open the editing part of the loaded sample with one click, and turn the pitch button.

Cheers.

Re: Cubase/Kontakt2 problem - Logic/Cakewalk/DP/Sonar/etc users feel free to chime in

I have had no issues like this using K2 with DP. When I make settings they seem to stay that way with the exception of occasional audio routing selections. I would continue to search out any shared experiences with the Cubase + K2 combination on the forums.

You may also consider just using K2 in standalone mode with Cubase. This topic has been discussed in the "Kontakt" area:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=39815

Nevermind geronimo001. He always has tuning on the brain. I think it's OCD.

ha ha, geronimo...plaisantant seulement...

I've been using K2 with Cubase SE for a couple of months. I have never used K2 in standalone mode. I am not having any problems with K2 at all. Any multis I've created always load & play as expected for me.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Hate to say it, but you may have to reload K2.

dvinvent, your not far from the truth about that

He! Polaris, THANK YOU, it's good to hear caus i use it whit Cubase SE too, that's ver very good news, your the first SE user i know, so it's looking good!

and RiffWraith, i'm not gonna comment on that, caus if i do, i'll be accuse of bashing , and i hate that.

Geronimo.

, my smilies are back! I love it!
    Last edited by geronimo001; 01-27-2006 at 02:03 PM. Reason: mistake

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, and dvincent, thanks for that link. You know, I spoke to someone at NI tech support, and they said it shouldn't work. "So, the Cubase MIDI faders will not control the MIDI volume of samples loaded in K2?" "No, they shouldn't".

Ok, now I am confused.

I figured it out. Cubase MIDI faders will only control Kontakt2 volume for
    samples that are loaded in the K2 1-16 slot. Any sample that is in any other
    slot does not receive volume info. So, if I have brass samples loaded
    somewhere in the 17-32 slot, the Cubase MIDI faders will not control the
    volume - even if those samples are routed to MIDI ch1, or 2, etc.

Now the question is - is it supposed to work this way? If not, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks much again!

Re: Cubase/Kontakt2 problem - Logic/Cakewalk/DP/Sonar/etc users feel free to chime in

Those extra slots are designed for running K2 in standalone mode routed through different midi ports (each port mapped to a separate set of slots). If you have something set to channel 1 in a VST instance in slot 17, then its receiving the same midi data as channel 1 and slot 1. So the volume from any track set to send to channel 1 is getting sent to both. Its just a misunderstanding of what the other slots are for.

So what you mean is in VST mod Kontakt slots 17 to 64 are there for nothing? right?

Go Back to forum