Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hamas a tune

Share/Bookmark

Hamas a tune

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I prefer baba ganouch.

Re: Hamas a tune

Hamas will either make peace..for the Palestinians..or they will make war for them. When they fire rockets into Israel...they will no longer be doing it as Hamas...but as the gov of Palestine.

The best that could come of this is that they'll make the same transition from terrorist organization to government that the PLO made.

Quote Originally Posted by dcornutt
    Hamas will either make peace..for the Palestinians..or they will make war for them. When they fire rockets into Israel...they will no longer be doing it as Hamas...but as the gov of Palestine.
    Then Israel sends the tanks and takes the border all the way to Jordan - sparking another Arab-Israeli war. This is all bad.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

That's always been a possiblity..for decades.

If the Palestinians, as a people, want war with Israel, then let them stand in the face of the world and say so and be responsible for it. Not allow "groups" like Hamas to do so in their name, then deny responsiblity for and reject being held accountable for it.

They can no longer separate that out...ie...it's not us, we can't control them, they don't speak for us, etc. And as a gov, they will not only be answerable to the Palestinians, but to the international community as well.

If Hamas moves into gov, then they will be subject to the same transparency and responsiblities that all govs are subject to. And they will directly be held responsible for what they do both by their own people as well as the international community. The absence of this has long been a problem in trying to reach some kind of peace agreement there.

the middle terror culture is like dealing with roaches . you step on 1 and 3 more take their place!

It won't happen overnight, but I'm hoping that the Hamas leadership will transform.

In the past they had little to lose, and didn't have to be accountable. Now they have power and responsibility. Hopefully they will learn that they have to compromise their "ideals", if you can call them that.

If they don't take responsibility and work hard for the people of Palestine, they will be out on their butts at the next election. (When is that, BTW?) And the previous party will be back in, but with motivation to clean up their acts.

I'm hoping that the established governments will act patiently, but firmly - like a good parent. Don't provoke them, but don't coddle them either.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. Eventually.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    It won't happen overnight, but I'm hoping that the Hamas leadership will transform.

In the past they had little to lose, and didn't have to be accountable. Now they have power and responsibility. Hopefully they will learn that they have to compromise their "ideals", if you can call them that.

If they don't take responsibility and work hard for the people of Palestine, they will be out on their butts at the next election. (When is that, BTW?) And the previous party will be back in, but with motivation to clean up their acts.

I'm hoping that the established governments will act patiently, but firmly - like a good parent. Don't provoke them, but don't coddle them either.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. Eventually.

-JF
    All right!! Here we have it- no more arguing, we have a real world test scenario to watch.

The Liberal view: Hamas will "stand up" and mature, given the responsibility they now have as a government, terrorist attacks will end and the world will be a better place.

The Conservative view: Hamas will be inevitably true to their nature, terorist acts will continue to take place under their regime while they protest they have no control over it and as a result they will be bombed back to the stone age- and the world will be a better place.

Everyone Else's view: same-old-same-old. a bomb here or there, lots of talk, nothing happens.

Does that sound about right?? Anyone want to wager?

Are you sure this was the message the Palestinians were sending with this vote?? It's a little like Germany saying "We really need to get along with the world so we can have trade and rebuuild our terrible economy; let's vote for that Hitler guy." Isn't it??
    I think you need to replace the phrase "out on thier butts" to "warm ash sailing on the breeze".

That doesn't sound about right at all, Fred. For openers we liberals aren't simple-minded, but more importantly this isn't a liberal/conservative issue.

My guess is that Hamas won't be able to govern and that they're all going to be shooting at each other again. What does that have to do with whether you're liberal or conservative?

And I have to say there's something that irritates me about that "everyone else" (not liberal or conservative) category you've created. It implies that liberals and conservatives are blind idealogues and only the everyone elses are capable of seeing clearly. I see my own opinions as being the ones that are balanced, actually, and everyone who disagrees with me is out of touch with reality by definition.

Of course I'm not saying everyone adheres to a strict party line. And I'm certainly not trying to imply that the "everyone else" option is the correct or intelligent one. But I tend to think those options will correspond fairly well to the overall mindset that left vs. right wing is going to be seeing this, even if I'm being a bit flippant about it.

The serious part of my post is this- I DO think it will be enlightening (if frightening) seeing this play out.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast