• Register
  • Help

Topic: EXS instrument files for GOS

Share/Bookmark

EXS instrument files for GOS

Hello Gary et al.,

On the Logic-users e-mail list Sean McCoy mentioned that the modwheel crossfades in GOS don't get converted properly in the EXS24 (I don't know if Translator converts them well or not). Sean said that there's a set of EXS24 instrument definition files for GOS that he developed, which were later tweaked by someone else. At some point I think these were downloadable from the Garritan website, but I can't find them there now. Would it be possible to make them available again?

Don

Re: EXS instrument files for GOS

I've since learned that these files are on the GPO-Logic page, not the GOS page. Also, in Safari you have to do the option-click trick to download the file. Otherwise, you get a new window with gibberish that completely hangs the browser.

Great to see that these patches are still available.

Don

Hi Everyone - this is my first post ever so please be kind...

I have started the conversion process of GOS to EXS24mkII but I'm having a little trouble; everything has converted apart from the extras (ambience, hollywood strings etc) - although I can see the .gig files in EXS24's browser and the conversion process starts - what happens is as it's building the .exs file a message pops up saying I have "Insufficient Access Privileges for Operation" (Result Code -5000). The files are in user/lib and I have repaired disk permissions - any ideas?

Also my EXS browser isn't even seeing the 'advanced techniques' .gig files (I presume these require specific Giga functions)?

Thanks, guys

For the files that won't open you need to go to "get info" (command-i) and change the ownership from read only to read and write.
    For the advanced files the problem is that the file names are too long and consequently, exs just ignores them. You need to shorten the names and everything shoud be peachy.
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by Si Tip
    Hi Everyone - this is my first post ever so please be kind...

I have started the conversion process of GOS to EXS24mkII but I'm having a little trouble; everything has converted apart from the extras (ambience, hollywood strings etc) - although I can see the .gig files in EXS24's browser and the conversion process starts - what happens is as it's building the .exs file a message pops up saying I have "Insufficient Access Privileges for Operation" (Result Code -5000). The files are in user/lib and I have repaired disk permissions - any ideas?

Also my EXS browser isn't even seeing the 'advanced techniques' .gig files (I presume these require specific Giga functions)?

Thanks, guys
    ==============================================
    Hi Si and All,

I've had some success in bringing GOS giga samples into the EXS24.
    What needs to be done is to have each gig. file's permissions set to “read and write”
    Although this can be set via the get info (command i) under ownership & permissions this is very flakey and frustrating.
    A better way is to change lots of permissions at once by using a free program called BatChMod.
    Here is the procedure I used and it will allow you to call up the GOS gig. files and convert them to exs in the EXS24.
    First put all gig files (or just those you want to convert) into one folder.
    Don’t have anything else in this folder as it to will get it’s permissions changed.
    I put mine on the hard drive containing library/application support/logic/sampler instruments. If you are doing all the GOS gigs. at once be sure you have at least 12 gigabites or more available space.
    Obtain this free program called “BatChMod” at http://macchampion.com/arbysoft/
    Open the program and follow instuctions.The file's peremissions are converted instantly.
    Now open logic and select an EXS instument and it will be converted although it took me about 60 seconds per instrument.
    My converted files were placed in the same folder as the gig files.
    I have the “Sean McCoy” files but am not sure where to put them so they will be effective.
    Anyone know?
    Goodluck converting.

Jim

The procedure for Sean's files is the same as for any other instrument files that you would like to show up in EXS. User/library/app support/Logic/sampler instruments. This is the same locations you should put the .gig files prior to conversion.
    But i would do the conversion first, then trash all the .exs files generated in the conversion and then put Sean's instrument files in the above mentioned folder.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    JP

Jim and Jimmymio - thank you so much. I now have everything working and functioning properly in EXS24. This is an excellent collection, I only wish I knew about it sooner.
    FYI I corrected all permissions in one go by selecting the folder and applying 'read and write' to all enclosed items - this worked perfectly
    Thanks again,
    Si

Go Back to forum