• Register
  • Help

Topic: RAM problems (DFD or not)

Share/Bookmark

RAM problems (DFD or not)

Hi,

I got a new pc a while ago (AMD 64 3500+).
    Very concerned by the problems I had loading samples with my former DAW (only 1GB of RAM), I wanted to go for the big thing this time.

I got myself 4GB of Corsair (which cost me a month of rent, but now, even if DFD is activated, when loading just a few samples (let's say the first instrument in the first slot of my first GPO instance), I get the evel "Physical memory is getting low".

I'll get this message several times during the loading of one song, but the thing is, it's somewhat OK when I play the song. But I wonder, why do I have so few RAM available when there is so much in my computer ? Why do I get a warning when Windows's performance manager tells me I still have about 2 Gb free ? (the thing is, my total amount of free memory is 2,8 GB, since when you have 4 GB Windows has a great idea => allocate 1GB for the kernel only and there's nothing you can do about it it seems under XP).

Some help would be very welcome, this is getting very frustrating when working on big songs with lots of instruments. Maybe there is something I could do with my pagefile or whatever ?

Thank you for your help.

Nino
    News & Music here.

Re: RAM problems (DFD or not)

You might try increasing your pagefile cache size. The standard I've seen for the size of the cache is to set it at 1.5 times the size of your memory (I think). In your performance section of the hardware profile it usually gives you a suggested size. If yours is less than that, then increase the size of the cache.

I hope that was clear enough.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I gave this link to Styxx, but it should help you with your problem to. Try reading this article that I found in a web search:

http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jak...and_video.html

I hope this helps!

Rich

Thanks a lot Rich.

(Buyt if I get you right, it means I need to set a page file to 6 Gigs ? (4gb * 1.5) wow
    News & Music here.

The pagefile is memory borrowed from your hard drive not your actual ram. It is used to run background tasks that are necessary and helps take the load off the real ram in your memory slots. At least that is how I understand it.

Rich

Actually Kontakt does not use the paging file by default so changing this setting shouldn't make any difference. Kontakt is actually set to lock the samples from paging. You can disable this setting in the registry by setting the value to '0'. Can't remember what the exact name is for this setting but if you do a search on this forum you will find the info. This will get rid of the low memory settings but be careful to load up more samples than you have memory for or the samples will start to get paged out to the paging file. Paged samples will cause big glitches in the playback as the samples are paged back into memory.

If you use the Kontakt Player, you can disable Lock Memory (swap) in the options. I would imagine, this is what Haydn refers to. I think, I will try this, as I also get these anoying Low Memory messages.

Not that I have anything conclusive to add; but I'll relay my own experience -- and this is on a new and very hefty Dell 9150 with dual-core processor and 4G RAM.

I've had best results with letting Windows set the page file size; and I *did* run into warnings if I locked the memory swap, so I unlocked that.

Set that way, I've never since seen a problem, and I do a lot of scoring in Finale with quite full orchestral instrumentation.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

The 'Lock Memory' option is what I was referring to. Kontakt 1.53 and Kontakt 2 don't have this option so you have to go into the registry to change it.

Apparently it only happens with Cubase SX. With Sonar 5 I don't have these annoying warnings.

I tried many configurations for the GPO instance and the various tricks with pagefile memory (1,5 times my RAM (so that's 6gigs!), or letting Windows setting it up). No difference. The FIRST TINIEST patch I load in GPO in Cubase SX displays a "Physical Memory Getting Low" warning.

News & Music here.

Go Back to forum