• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL Horizon Saxophones 1

Share/Bookmark

VSL Horizon Saxophones 1

Hi, I missed the opinions on this when it was released. I read a favourable magazine review and just bought it, however, I've yet to open the shrinwrap and since recently reading on this forum that you should never sample a saxophone I'm prevaricating.
    Any ideas, much appreciated!

Re: VSL Horizon Saxophones 1

Hi.

The samples themselves are really good. The sax is such an expressive instrument, why some people think they should not be sampled.

The biggest concern that people have raised about them is that the Legato of the Soprano sax has so much gliss that its hard to use. The tenor sax works just fine and its legato is very playable.

VSL will release a new VI version of the Saxes, including two other which I beleive are the Alto Sax and Barritone. If they make new recordings for the old instruments (as they have done for the upcoming VI releases) then I assume they have "fixed" the soprano sax as well.

Alot of tech lingo here, so if you need a better explanation just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Hi.

The samples themselves are really good. The sax is such an expressive instrument, why some people think they should not be sampled.

The biggest concern that people have raised about them is that the Legato of the Soprano sax has so much gliss that its hard to use. The tenor sax works just fine and its legato is very playable.

VSL will release a new VI version of the Saxes, including two other which I beleive are the Alto Sax and Barritone. If they make new recordings for the old instruments (as they have done for the upcoming VI releases) then I assume they have "fixed" the soprano sax as well.

Alot of tech lingo here, so if you need a better explanation just let me know.
    Hi Marcusson, and thanks for the reply! I need the tone of the tenor on a piece, just for a couple of lines. Is the breath and timbre of the reed relative to the sound of the horn in any way adjustable. I always love it when I hear it on recordings and want to amplify the human sounds of the player.

No I dont beleive they are. The samples are relavatively cleansed from humanity

But they have a nice timbre, and I think you will be especialy happy with the Tenor.

No I dont beleive they are. The samples are relavatively cleansed from humanity

But they have a nice timbre, and I think you will be especialy happy with the Tenor.
    So I have to put in my own humanity!!!
    As it is the tenor I need I'd best open the shrinkwrap. BTW, do you know if they work well as a section? I'll find out soon enough but it'd be intersting to know if you've had sucess.
    Thanks Marcussen

I haven't used them extensively. I'm a sample whore and a VSL whore - I buy everything they make because it rocks - and becuase I might need it

But seeing as a just had a kid and house, I think I might get treated for my sample whoring.

Hi there, i own it and every thing Marcussen just said is thrue, they are on the clean side, legato works great, on both if i recall, but i didn't use it that mutch and they should work fine as a section.

I'm very happy to have those.

I haven't used them extensively. I'm a sample whore and a VSL whore - I buy everything they make because it rocks - and becuase I might need it

But seeing as a just had a kid and house, I think I might get treated for my sample whoring.
    LOL. Explaining to my wife the high principles of the "group-buy" is..... a challenge!

Question Re: VSL Horizon Saxophones 1

Hi, how does it compare with Yellow Tools Candy? Anyone experienced with both products?

Go Back to forum