• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My JABB attempt! "Jabsallowoys"

Share/Bookmark

Red face My JABB attempt! "Jabsallowoys"

Howdy!

Following is my first attempt using JABB. It's very short, only 1:40, but it was mostly practice. My harmony needs a lot of work; the harmony in this piece is very simple and not very Jazzy. This was also my first time really writing for drums (except for timpani ) so I'd love to know what you think of it. Also, at the end of the saxaphone solo, there's a pitch bend, which I thought sounded cool, but I'm not sure if it's actually possible . . .

I call it "Jabsallowoys" which comes from JABB Is Really Cool Wouldn't You Say?

Instrumentation includes 2 Alto Saxes, 2 Tenor Saxes, 1 Baritone Sax, 4 Trumpets, 4 Trombones, Upright Bass, and Drum Kit.

MP3: http://www.wizardwalk.com/music/Jabsallowoys.mp3

Enjoy! Hope it's not too bad!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: My JABB attempt! "Jabsallowoys"

Sean! Yee-hah! (Do Jazz people say that?)

Nice job on this!

Definitely got some of that Cab Calloway feel to it; a bit of Gene Krupa, too, maybe.

Got some really nice sound out of the sax choir; I'm still struggling with that somewhat. Great bright, full sound on the tutti (er, I don't know what Jazz humans call that, either... lol).

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Some good stuff in this Sean, I am digging your crazy whole-tone Tpt solo, and Coda.
    Keep at it.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Howdy!

Following is my first attempt using JABB. It's very short, only 1:40, but it was mostly practice. My harmony needs a lot of work; the harmony in this piece is very simple and not very Jazzy.
    The simple and "non-Jazzy" harmonies makes this piece really fresh and it stands out from the typical Jazz arrangement. You know, it isn't necessery to throw in all these Bb7b9#11 chords just because we're working with a "Jazz"-orchestra. Some of youre voicings made me think of church organs or medieval fanfares

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    This was also my first time really writing for drums (except for timpani ) so I'd love to know what you think of it.
    Your drummers playing is groovy and relaxed, very nice.
    The attitude of your "band" seems like: "Let's play something fun on top of a really cool rhythm, who cares if it doesn't sounds like "Jazz" "

And the sax solo sounds really good too.

Aslak

I agree -- this is a strange little piece, and a lot of fun in a very unique way--it's bombastically and unabashedly and jolly, with no self-consciousness. It's kind of like if you surreptitiously recorded a happy little child singing his own silly made-up song while banging away on mom's pots and pans, and then arranged it for an ensemble. I mean this as a compliment.

Don't bother trying to go back and "jazzify" it -- let it stand as it is and go go go -- work on something new.

If you're looking to write more jazz, you should look into Mark Levine's "Jazz Theory Book" and the arranging books by George Russell, Don Sebesky, Rayburn Wright, and Sammy Nestico. Those will get you started at least. And I would tone down the swing for future jazz pieces. Set it at 55-65%, and/or do it all with phrasing (listen to some Stan Getz, Al Cohn, and Zoot Sims -- their swing is more in the phrasing, accent, and articulation than it is in actually changing rhythmic values).

chris.

P.S. The pitch bend you recorded is possible for most saxophone players, depending on their mouthpiece and reed.

chris.

Thumbs up Re: My JABB attempt! "Jabsallowoys"

Sean, heheheheheheheheheh, you're nuts, man ... but this cool! Love the drums.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Sean, heheheheheheheheheh, you're nuts, man ...
    Quick, grab'em!

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Sean! Yee-hah! (Do Jazz people say that?)

Nice job on this!

Definitely got some of that Cab Calloway feel to it; a bit of Gene Krupa, too, maybe.

Got some really nice sound out of the sax choir; I'm still struggling with that somewhat. Great bright, full sound on the tutti (er, I don't know what Jazz humans call that, either... lol).
    Thanks for listening! I forgot to say, I used Overture 4 for this, and I used GPO's ambience for the reverb. In my opinion, the GPO's ambience sounds great with JABB

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Some good stuff in this Sean, I am digging your crazy whole-tone Tpt solo, and Coda.
    Thanks!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan
    Your drummers playing is groovy and relaxed, very nice.
    The attitude of your "band" seems like: "Let's play something fun on top of a really cool rhythm, who cares if it doesn't sounds like "Jazz" "

And the sax solo sounds really good too.
    Thanks for listening and for your kind words I'm glad the drums work, I still have hardly a clue how to write for them.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    If you're looking to write more jazz, you should look into Mark Levine's "Jazz Theory Book" and the arranging books by George Russell, Don Sebesky, Rayburn Wright, and Sammy Nestico. Those will get you started at least. And I would tone down the swing for future jazz pieces. Set it at 55-65%, and/or do it all with phrasing (listen to some Stan Getz, Al Cohn, and Zoot Sims -- their swing is more in the phrasing, accent, and articulation than it is in actually changing rhythmic values).
    Thank you for the book suggestions, I'll have to look for them The swing came from simply selecting "Play Style -> In Swing" in Overture 4... I don't know if there's a way to change the amount of swing it plays at, though that might be a good thing to suggest to GenieSoft in the future. I'm glad the sax pitch bend should be possible, because I love how it sounds Thanks for listening and commenting!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast