• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stylus RMX Question: Best location for data?

Share/Bookmark

Stylus RMX Question: Best location for data?

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS A NEWBE POST AND MAY CONTAIN STUPID QUESTIONS, WHICH IN SOME CASES HAS PROVEN TO CAUSE FEELINGS OF HOPELESSNESS FOR ALL OF MANKIND IN SELECT READERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Hello,

I'm wondering what the advantages or disadvantages are to having the stylus RMX data on a separate internal drive. I'm on a 2.5 GHz G5 with 3 GB of Ram, using Logic 7.1.1.

Currently, I have ALL of my samples (large sample libs such as VSL, as well as small stuff like Atmosphere) running off my 2nd internal HD, to which I have used 143.94 GB of my 2.33.64 GB capacity (89.7 GB available), leaving my other internal drive to be an application/system drive only. I was told this was the best way to setup my system and I blindly followed.

However, after following the standard RMX install (which installs to the System drive by default) I'm wondering if there are any advantages to moving the data to my 2nd internal drive with all other samples. Would keeping RMX on my system drive allow for better disk access, as my other HD could be free for streaming only samples? Or is the system disk already consistently spinning due to the OS, and leaving the RMX data on this drive will only slow it down.

I ask because I'm experiencing pops and clicks in kit mode, which seem to be related to polyphony and/or streaming problems. Will moving the data solve this problem? Of course I will test this theory on my own, but I'd appreciate any explanations on to the reasons for and against.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Stylus RMX Question: Best location for data?

You cannot move the dat file without uninstalling the program first per the manual. Support told me that there really is no reason to have the dat files on another drive as the samples load completely into ram, unlike Giga files.

The problem probably wouldn't be solved by moving the SAGE folder, but if you'd like to try moving it anyway, it's easy to do and doesn't require reinstallation. Just follow the instructions in the manual or the watchme movie.

- Glenn

Hi.

RMX does not stream from disk. Sounds are loaded into RAM. This allows you to keep the samples on any drive.

As far as polyphony, one thing that can help is to reduce the H,D and R parameters in the Envelope section on the Edit Page. This shortens the time a sound plays and frees up a voice more quickly.

Commalot's note about DAT files is not relevant to RMX because RMX does not use DAT files. You do not need to uninstall anything to move the SAGE folder, but you do need to point RMX to the SAGE folders's new location. Check out the manual on how to do that.

Cheers.
    -gabe
    (for the record, I beta test RMX)

EDIT: PS. hehe oops...Glenn beat me to it

Thanks!

Yeah, I know the process of creating aliases to point to the files located on the other disk, though I was just wondering why I should do this. Knowing now that all samples load into RAM in their entirety gives me reason not to bother moving it.

Thanks guys!

Ideally, you would want to create an alias on your local drive "C:\" which points to the SAGE folder on an external drive.

Your external drive should be a minimum 80GB hard drive (7200rpm or higher, with an 8MB minimum cache), assuming that you are going to house less than 50GB of data, in total, since filling your hard drive over a 50% capacity is never a good thing.

Ever notice that when you reinstall your Windows operating system, your computer runs like an Olympic pentathlon champion, only to slow down like a weekend jogger after you reinstall most (or all) of your needed applications? Case-in-point.

The newer 300GB hard drives now offer 16MB cache, which means blazingly fast I/O-read/write.

If possible, dedicate one hard drive per instrument group or setup, so for example, if you're running a basic sound setup of say piano-guitar-drums, then dedicate one drive exclusively to your piano library and a second drive to your guitar and drum library. If you want to work with the best-of-all sample libraries, then you must take into account the fact that most high-end sample libraries now require 30GB of free space, minimum.

STYLUS rocks!

Go Back to forum