• Register
  • Help

Topic: Venting: Stuck MIDI notes are frustrating me to no end.

Share/Bookmark

Venting: Stuck MIDI notes are frustrating me to no end.

I think my M-Audio FW 410 has MIDI 'issues'. Whenever I use it as a MIDI interface - no matter to what and in what context - there are always 1) stuck MIDI notes 2) freak MIDI events 3) general strange MIDI behavior.

I see similar issues when controlling my Yamaha S90 as when I am 'controlling' EW Gold on a different computer. Using Logic Express 7.1 on a G4 MacMini w/Gold on a PC.

We're talking one MIDI voice, not some dense, complicated sequence. And this 'issue' is completely random and unpredictable, except that it will happen at some point during playback.

Mt 'theories' include:

• problem with the FW bus power
    • MIDI synch issues
    • faulty setup on my part; probably somewhere in Logic's environment (although I have done 'clean' environments with no success)

Core Audio & EXSP instruments is/are no problem. This problem has been in place in the last three updates to OS X. I can run the same MIDI data on the MacMini using Logic instruments without a hitch, then try to trigger the S90 or a Gold patch and - BANG poo - stuck notes and weird stuff happening. The only thing is that I need the MAC to talk to the PC - obviously - through the 410. MIDIoverLan or the like could 'solve' that issue - I will need more ports eventually - but it wont help if I want to trigger the S90 or my rack gear.

*sigh*

Re: Venting: Stuck MIDI notes are frustrating me to no end.

I think there is one more thing that you should add to the equation; M-Audio MIDI devices. I've had problems with mine and so have may other people. I would suggest borrowing another device and checking whether you still have the same problems, because if this solved your stuck notes problem, it could save you hours of fruitless searching.

D

Re: Venting: Stuck MIDI notes are frustrating me to no end.

Yeah - I know.

Unfortunately, it makes more sense for me to buy something from a vendor with a return policy than to borrow - since I'm on a MIDI island. But good call, Daryl.

Go Back to forum