• Register
  • Help

Topic: Akoustik or Ivory? Help Me decide...

Share/Bookmark

Question Akoustik or Ivory? Help Me decide...

I know this has probably been beat to death but I am getting close to a point where I am going to get one or the other. I have read some reviews for the PC version of Akoustik but would like some more input concerning the PC version of Ivory. I have read through some of the other Ivory/Akoustik posts and they have helped some.

I would be using either in SONAR 5 .
    I would like to know how from a Sonar users perspective how each seems to perform.

Just share your experiences.

Thanks for any feedback.
    Simeon Amburgey
    Sound Creations, Inc.
    Louisville, KY
    www.soundcreationsinc.com

Re: Akoustik or Ivory? Help Me decide...

Akoustik has issues. Bad disks, note stealing problems (cutting out), uneven timbre's, recorder doesn't work. It's been compared to a beta release. It also uses a newer release of the Kontakt player than the current version of Kontakt so it doesn't sound the same when dropped into Kontakt. There's supposed to be an update coming out soon. If you need to buy now I say go Ivory. Otherwise you'll have to wait for the feedback on the Akoustik update.

What I like about Akoustik is it works well live.

Note that Akoustik has a VERY close sound. I know I deserve to called on the carpet as unsatisfiable for saying this but I like it most, but not all, of the time. I'll be checking out/buying the other latest generation piano libraries. Overall, I like Akoustik, but despite what I've said in the past I am finding that sometimes I don't want my piano to sound like I've got my head inside it.

I don't own Ivory so I can't give you a direct comparison.

Ernie

I juat purchased Ivory, and absolutely love it! It does however require a lot of RAM, upwards of a gig, to get the best from it. This is by far the most playable piano sample library I have ever had the pleasure to lay my fingers on!

Glad to have happened upon this thread... I have Giga 3 and a few piano libraries (Eastwest Steinway B, Vintaudio Yamaha, Gigapiano I and II).

How does something like Ivory compare? I would put it on my PC. My DAW applications, ProTools 7 and Logic Express, run on my Mac, so I don't have a VST host on my PC. I know there are some low cost VST hosts for the PC, but don't want to invest unless I know Ivory will blow away the GS samples.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Kelly Carpenter

I have played the East West Steinway, and truly think Ivory is a superior product. It requires a lot of RAM though! I think you can get a really cheap or even free copy of Cubasis to use as a PC VST host.

Talking Re: Akoustik or Ivory? Help Me decide...

I have been using Akoustik - it is pleasant and acceptable. Good for its price. Have used Post pianos, also pleasant. In Testing I believe I would have been better off getting Ivory if I was to be constrained to only 1 package -- and I also want to wait to see the new GARRITAN project AUTHORIZED BY STEINWAY before I make any further moves.

The "Steinway Light" from Kontakt 2 isn't too bad ("light" on the sympathetic resonance for sure; and the "Convolution" version isn't all that much better, really).

The Steinway from EWQL "Silver" ain't too shabby: a good compressed piano for "pop" and "pop-jazz" (smooth) styles.

Clearly though, if you want The Real Deal, then IVORY is about as close to perfection as you're going to get, right out-of-the-box without any tweaking to do...and to think it costs just under $500 is simply astounding!!!!!! (A decent Steinway "D" would cost you around $85K plus tax, mind you)

I recently listened to Best Service's Galaxy Steinway (5.1 Surround) again, and was not as impressed as I have been with IVORY. The IVORY pianos are really dynamic (with a capital "D") and sound BIG! HUMOUNGOUS! -- so they work really well for solo piano work, i.e., Piano Concerti, Jazz Trio etc.

In all honesty, I have not yet thrown out or done-away-with my old "GigaPiano" (Yamaha) -- it has a certain "ping" in the upper register that I like when you hold the pedal down; the Kawai in GigaStudio 3, on the other hand, is just awful IMHO (don't mean to Kawai-bash, but does a-n-y-o-n-e really play a Kawai, much less want to?).

True...IVORY does burn up a lot of RAM, but it's definitely worth it

Thanks all for the input... I concur on the Gigapiano II comment; it is truly awful! I am definitely going to lay down the $325 for Ivory. It seems to be a worthy investment.

Kelly Carpenter

You will be happy with your choice. Ivory sounds beautiful! Be sure to always load Ivory in the #1 slot of your VST instruments because it is VERY memory intensive and in many instances will not load some of the higher quality presets if other memory intensive VST instruments are loaded first.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum7
    You will be happy with your choice. Ivory sounds beautiful! Be sure to always load Ivory in the #1 slot of your VST instruments because it is VERY memory intensive and in many instances will not load some of the higher quality presets if other memory intensive VST instruments are loaded first.
    Is this for all host programs? (I use Pro Tools RTAS)

Go Back to forum