• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54

Topic: Does size matter?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Does size matter?

    If libraries such as VSL and East West rely on having a large number of samples to achieve their variation rather than letting the computer construct articifical legato (which is how I'm presuming smaller libraries go about their business), I wonder at the highly favourable comments surfacing around Kirk Hunters modestly sized (and priced) library. If it really is as good as everyone says, is there any purpose in overstretching every resource to accomodate the big guns?
    Steve

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    5,755

    Re: Does size matter?

    Quality being equal, and size not being wasted or gratuitous, more is always more.

  3. #3

    Re: Does size matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Quality being equal, and size not being wasted or gratuitous, more is always more.
    Indeed! I do wonder though if this is a situation of diminishing returns.

  4. #4

    Re: Does size matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    more is always more.
    I think I agree with that.

    But I think more isn't always better. It can be true using the same technology, but science advances, and new technologies emerge every day. Look for example at the new Garritan's stradivari. If I'm not wrong, it's only about 70 Megabytes in size. If you want to achieve that level of detail using conventional sampling, maybe it's not possible to do it with in this size margin. Hybrid pianos of Michiel Post is another example, it uses convolution for resonance, the same as the stradivari.

    I hope as the processing power increases (maybe we have to move from silicon tecnology) new methods will be invented to achieve realism without so much data. The price per byte goes down very quickly (I have more than 500 GB of storage in my main computer without having to sell one kidney) so the problem isn't that. But anyway, deal with 5 DVD's for a single lib... I don't like it very much.

  5. #5

    Re: Does size matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZareOne
    :

    But I think more isn't always better. It can be true using the same technology, but science advances, and new technologies emerge every day. Look for example at the new Garritan's stradivari. If I'm not wrong, it's only about 70 Megabytes in size. If you want to achieve that level of detail using conventional sampling, maybe it's not possible to do it with in this size margin.
    that's the point. I use lap-top user for 90% of my work, and mix on the desk-top. It seems the future may be kinder to my type!
    Steve
    (I agree, the Garritan Stradivari sounds stunning!)

  6. #6

    Re: Does size matter?

    It's tradition that in every "Does size matter?" thread, there must be a mention that "Synful is only 30 megs yet can compete in many ways with the huge libraries".

    And there it was
    Theo Krueger - Composer

    www.TheoKrueger.com

    Kontakt 2 Scripts

  7. #7

    Re: Does size matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    It's tradition that in every "Does size matter?" thread, there must be a mention that "Synful is only 30 megs yet can compete in many ways with the huge libraries".

    And there it was
    Damn it!!!...and I thought I was the first

  8. #8

    Re: Does size matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    And there it was
    Where? I can't read it. Is it written with invisible chars?

    I don't think Synful can compete with the big ones by now. Time will say. But I think new technologies of sampling are coming into play in the near future. Maybe, today, the best libraries are VSL and Sonic Implants, but, who knows what the fate has in store for us?

    Maybe Kirk's Emerald isn't VSL, but, for a fraction of the price.... It sounds awesome, and not everybofy can afford VSL Opus (not to mention VSL Symphonic Cube).

  9. #9

    Re: Does size matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZareOne
    Maybe, today, the best libraries are VSL and Sonic Implants, but, who knows what the fate has in store for us?
    The 'best libraries' list must include EWQLSO.

  10. #10

    Re: Does size matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by wja
    The 'best libraries' list must include EWQLSO.
    You're right.

    Maybe, today, the best libraries are EWQLSO, VSL and Sonic Implants, but, who knows what the fate has in store for us?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •