• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is Kontakt 2 as bad as the NI forum makes it out to be?

Share/Bookmark

Is Kontakt 2 as bad as the NI forum makes it out to be?

I just ordered Kontakt 2 but I recently read a lot in the Native Inastruments forum about the delayed update and bugs. I don't see too many complaints in this forum however so I need some honest opinions.

If I plan on only using K2 for a playback sampler and really interested in dissecteg samples scripting, etc, will the alleged bugs really affect me?

Also, how bad is the CPU issue on PCs optimized for audio recording (3 hard drives, 2 gig ram, etc)? Does an instance of K2 really eat up CPU and RAM?

Thanks

- Steve

Re: Is Kontakt 2 as bad as the NI forum makes it out to be?

I think most of the problems with NI products stem from Mac based users. I have a PC and Kontakt 2 and several other NI products and never have any trouble.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

No problems here.
    It's been all aces for me.
    An instance of K2 eats more RAM than K1 did, BUT I can load almost 2 times the amount of samples into each one. So, it actually saves ram vs. K1.
    I hardly use Giga3 anymore - I can tell you that.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

It seems that a lot of users have had trouble, but many have not. I haven't had any trouble at all.

I've seen it recommended that you run it as in standalone version before using it as a VSTi in a host. It apparently configures better that way.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Stand alone seems the way to go, especially if you want to use more than 16 isntrumens via the separate midi ports. But how do I connect the K2 stand alone to Sonar 5? I never used a standalone with my sequencer but I heard you may need whats called a "midi yoke"? or something like that?

Also, if I'm using K2 as a stand alone, should I just use my other CPU 2.8 which is not optimized for audio (I use it for work: Microsoft Word docs, internet, etc) thereby freeing up my audio PC CPU resources?

But how do I connect the K2 stand alone to Sonar 5? I never used a standalone with my sequencer but I heard you may need whats called a "midi yoke"? or something like that?
    Hi kstevege,

I often run K2 standalone with a 'plain Jane' sequencer. It's not hard to do if you have a versatile enough MIDI interface setup. What is needed is to send the output of your sequencer to an actual physical MIDI connector. Then connect that MIDI output to an actual physical MIDI input connector that can be assigned in your computer as K2's MIDI input source. So what you need is an uncommitted pair of outside, physical MIDI connectors (one Out and one IN) and a short MIDI cable to tie them together.

Bob
    Big Bob (aka Wonderful Bob)

I am using the EMU- 1820M audio dock which as 2 midi "IN" ports and one midi "OUT" port. Can I hook a small midi cable from one "OUT" to one "IN" or should I reinstall my USB to midi connector and connect that to my audio dock?

Or better yet, should I install Kontakt 2 on a second computer and, if so, do I configure both computers via midi cable or network cable?

I am using the EMU- 1820M audio dock which as 2 midi "IN" ports and one midi "OUT" port. Can I hook a small midi cable from one "OUT" to one "IN" or should I reinstall my USB to midi connector and connect that to my audio dock?
    Yes, this should work for you. Just assign your sequencer MIDI output to send the data to the 1820's OUT connector. Then assign K2 to respond to MIDI data from the 1820's IN connector. Then connect your MIDI cable from OUT to IN. You may want to make sure that your sequencer is set up so it doesn't respond to the 1820's input, either by de-assigning that input or making sure that MIDI thru is off. If you don't take these steps you could end up with a MIDI feedback loop.

Bob
    Big Bob (aka Wonderful Bob)

Quote Originally Posted by kstevege
    I just ordered Kontakt 2 but I recently read a lot in the Native Inastruments forum about the delayed update and bugs. I don't see too many complaints in this forum however so I need some honest opinions.

If I plan on only using K2 for a playback sampler and really interested in dissecteg samples scripting, etc, will the alleged bugs really affect me?

Also, how bad is the CPU issue on PCs optimized for audio recording (3 hard drives, 2 gig ram, etc)? Does an instance of K2 really eat up CPU and RAM?

Thanks

- Steve
    I use Kontakt 2 since several month with VSL, Advanced Orchestra and other instruments & I don't have any problems with bugs.
    My mainsampler is GS3.
    The difference to K2 is that GS3 use about half the CPU load of K2.
    I do use K2 scripts very seldom.
    More than one K2 instances I use also very seldom. If I have many insrtuments. I use the "Instrument banks", which is very convinient & needs less CPU load.
    Your config seems to be okay

:-) Jovan

:-) Jovan

I run K2 with SONAR on most of my projects, and though I have encountered a few problems, some more major than others, I'm still quite happy with K2.

The biggest issue I've come across -- and it seems pretty prevalent judging from what I've read on various discussion forums -- concerns K2 "losing" its connection to its own database. With SONAR 5, when this happens, you cannot reload your project file without a system crash. Instead, it requires a SONAR "safe mode" relaunch so you can bypass reinstating the K2 plugin, saving your project to a new file without Kontakt loaded, and basically rebuilding whatever you had before you encountered the failure. (Oh yeah, and suppressing your vulgar langauge so as not to offend everyone within earshot, and lots and lots of praying that it doesn't happen again, since your deadline for this project is tomorrow... ahem!)

Still, that has only happened twice in the many months I've been using K2, and it looks like a bug fix is in progress as I type this.

Other than that, the only other issues have been a couple of crashes while using certain scripts -- but they could just as easily have been from some system configuration issue, and I've not been able to replicate any of them consistently.

Go Back to forum