• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What GS3 problems?

Share/Bookmark

What GS3 problems?

In this forum I'll occassionally see someone wanting to jump ship from GS3 and others who are upset about numerous crashes. I just wanted to post my experiences and see what others have to say.
    When I first installed GS3 I did have problems. But I had everything on one drive, a 2 year old install of HP's version of XP with numerous software installs and un-installs. Once I got a second drive (Maxtor 300 gig) and a fresh install of XP Home SP2, ram up to 1.5 gigs, the only problems I had initially were when a setting in the host (Sonar 5 PE) or GS3 caused a conflict. I'm running with all the latest updates.
    I have not done any tweeking of the computer. I also have Adobe Premier and Photoshop on the same computer (music and video on 3rd external drive). I don't run in rewire mode but only because I don't like the latency.
    Anyway, I have not had a single crash of GS3 or Sonar in my current setup. My only problem is getting the songs in my head laid down and sounding good to me.

Don't Know!

I’m with you commalot! I installed GS3 myself as a standalone via lightpipes to Pro Tools HD2 on a Mac G5. I loaded it in just a few minutes, registered and was up and running. Yeah, my GIGS wouldn’t convert, and it took a few minutes to convert my libraries, but so what! And also like you, no tweaks; with XP Pro and EVERY software update Microsoft has available. I haven’t had one problem! Not one crash, and latency is nearly a big ZERO. I use my Giga pc for email, business (non music related), music writing (Sibelius), music recording, Internet research/entertainment, finances/online banking, online purchases, eBaying, photos and anything else I can think of. Many times I am recording with GS3 with a live Internet connection AND my anti-virus running AND an MS Office app in the background. Still no problems!

After having been tempted to jump ship by some libraries named after precious metals, and having been disappointed by those libraries, I am so happy I didn’t scrap Giga. In my opinion, some of those great libraries still can’t be beat. Maybe I’ve been lucky, but it also makes me wonder what people do to their systems to have so many problems.

RC

Asus P5LD2 Deluxe
    Intel D 830 3.0 GHz
    2GB Ram
    Raptor Primary HD
    2 Raptors Raid 0
    ATI Radeon X300
    RME Digiface

Re: What GS3 problems?

Hi Guitaro,

I know it might be off topic, but i'm curius to know what dissapointed you about those precious metal lib., i was dissapointed too and i'm actualy glad to see i'm not the only one, makes me feel kind of normal.

I'm curius to here your story, you can send me a PM or what ever.

Thanks

I too like GIGA Studio.

K, isn't it time for someone to jump in and start extolling the virtues of KONTAKT???
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewis
    K, isn't it time for someone to jump in and start extolling the virtues of KONTAKT???
    Start your own darn thread.

I'm the same as above: Problems early on (more than the other posters to date), but after working it all out, not a hitch. My machine is going flat-out all the time, running everthing I use (meaning internet, office software, graphic design-crap etc..., often all at once, with GS at the same time. Was gettin low polyphony, but that was a stupid setting on my part. Yes. Everything wrong was with me or hardware. It took both experience and stern verbal scolding from mr. richardson, (in response to my, "Giga 3 Sucks", he said something to the effect of, "No, YOU suck, now edit that post!" Well, it was more polite than that....) but now I believe that there is NOTHING WRONG WITH GIGA 3.

Yay.
    Belbin

I built a couple Giga 2 systems for a buddy about three years ago. I think he's never turned them off. I speak to him every couple months and I ask about them and he says they just work.

As for Giga 3, I've got two running myself and have built five machines for people. No problems.

I take a pretty simple approach:
    ASUS mobo
    Matrox graphics cards
    PIV
    Basic Windows tweaks from musicxp.net

No muss, no fuss.

- G

Aside from freezing and crashing every 10 minutes and major latency issues, the only problem I have had is with reregistering after upgrades. The CDKey no longer works and I have to contact Tascam. Meanwhile I can't use it. But those are the only problems I've had so far. Actually, they are probably referred to as FEATURES Gives the program character.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogles
    Aside from freezing and crashing every 10 minutes and major latency issues, the only problem I have had is with reregistering after upgrades. The CDKey no longer works and I have to contact Tascam. Meanwhile I can't use it. But those are the only problems I've had so far. Actually, they are probably referred to as FEATURES Gives the program character.
    (In a deep, boomy, Michael Palin-type voice)

LOOGjury!

Belbin

Before I did a complete re-install of windows I had done the same thing. I installed Sonar 5 and then un-installed Cakewalk Home Studio. Sonar was crashing left and right. I believe Sonar checks for Cakewalk items already installed and only loads what it needs for the new version. Anyway, Once I had a new XP install and loaded Sonar 5 I didn't have any problems.

It was a complete re-format. It wasn't because of Sonar problems though. I was adding a new drive, more ram, and a new video card, and decided to re-format also.

Go Back to forum