• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Polytonality"

Share/Bookmark

"Polytonality"

This is the GPO Steinway piano and "Polytonality".

LGA

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/larr...lyTonality.mp3
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Polytonality"

It's been a while since I've sampled some of LGA's music. Very fitting to the title Larry. I'm not sure if I like it or love it. I think this may take a bit of getting used to. I think it would be more musically interesting with a bit more dynamics. It seems a bit monorhythmic and maybe a few meter changes would spice it up a bit. Then again .....
    Regarless, I do love the ending!
    Styxx

Larry! Hat's off! Like this one a great deal... interesting, compelling piece, I must say.

Lemme pull up a stool and talk some piana wit ya... (that is, may I suggest) a.) I think this might benefit from a bit more use of pedal in places [not a lot, now]; and c.) mebbe a little more work with tempi and dynamics (hairpinning) on this.

Nuancing a piano piece like this is a bear, I know -- having done a rotten job of it myself on that sonata a while back... lol. But hey, if you have the patience -- this piece certainly merits another pass. In fact, I'd give this one a...

Bravo!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Larry! Hat's off! Like this one a great deal... interesting, compelling piece, I must say.

Lemme pull up a stool and talk some piana wit ya... (that is, may I suggest) a.) I think this might benefit from a bit more use of pedal in places [not a lot, now]; and c.) mebbe a little more work with tempi and dynamics (hairpinning) on this.

Nuancing a piano piece like this is a bear, I know -- having done a rotten job of it myself on that sonata a while back... lol. But hey, if you have the patience -- this piece certainly merits another pass. In fact, I'd give this one a...

Bravo!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    I appreciate your interest and nice comments, Dave, but I don't like this enough to spend another minute on it. It's not my kind of...uh...music. I can't even associate the term music with it. It is from my young, experimental and stupid days and I don't enjoy writing this type of thing any more.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    I appreciate your interest and nice comments, Dave, but I don't like this enough to spend another minute on it. It's not my kind of...uh...music. I can't even associate the term music with it. It is from my young, experimental and stupid days and I don't enjoy writing this type of thing any more.

Larry A.
    What can I say, Larry... lol... other than encouraging you to perhaps reconsider sometime.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Oh Larry. . .

I LOVE it!!

(But then again, I'm young, appreciate experimentation and stupid. LOL!)

(O. K. I'm "middle aged", appreciate experimentation and stupid. . . LOL! )

It may not be your "cup of tea" compositional wise, but it is smart! It examples your compositional chops in a different way.

Warm regards to you. . .

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Excellent, Larry!

I would agree with etLux, maybe a little bit of dynamic change an pedalling would spice up the piece. But it's still very good. Well, maybe it's not your type of music, but I also encourage to reconsider as well. This is certainly music (such a very broad term, really).

Heh. Wait until you hear some avant-garde. I still consider it "music", but I guess a lot don't.
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Well, experimenting is always fun! I don't want to say that I don't like this kind of music, but it certainly has a much different effect than just plain tonality For some strange reason I actually do like listening to (and composing) it sometimes... Actually what was an "ear-opener" for me was looking at parts of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring score and separating the parts into pleasing tonal parts and listening to them that way, before combining them together again to create what he had. After I had listened to them separately, it was a much different experience.

Anyway, having said that, your piece is still an interesting listen
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thanks, y'all. I appreciate all of your comments about my "music".

(I still think it's crapola...but what do I know?)

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum