• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ? for those of you who live ...

Share/Bookmark

Question ? for those of you who live ...

in areas of greater opportunity. Now, I remind you that I reside (although reluctantly) in good old (more like ancient) Buffalo where opportunity means if you are eligible for public assistance and actually get it, you're doing well. I mean, why did they name this city "Buffalo?" I haven't seen a Buffalo ever except at the zoo and I think they sold them long ago!
    OK, enough ... If and when you are presented with an opportunity pertaining to your music, how can you tell if it is legitimate? I mean, how can one check up on and research a particular offer especially when you've never heard of the production or company or whatever, bethree?
    Uh, there they go again ... PA - "there's a staff care meeting at 7:45 in Shauna’s room" ... I'm going to bring my staff and see if they'll care for it. . Time to go! Hmm, Shauna's a nice looking teacher. Ahem ...
    Anyway, maybe you people living in areas where there is a greater probability to secure work with your music can answer. Must remind you, I come from a land more down under than down under. Opportunities in music are non-existent unless you count playing in dive bars all your life.
    Thanks.
    Styxx

Re: ? for those of you who live ...

For me, I know an offer is not legitimate when I get it because I get it.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    For me, I know an offer is not legitimate when I get it because I get it.
    Awwww....
    Poor Sean.

Yeah ... I get it!
    Styxx

Back in the day (1980s) when I worked in the Nashville music business, we had a saying: "Never sign a music publishing deal with a company whose 'office' is a booth at Shoney's."

[Shoney's is a cheap family restaurant chain with late night hours whose headquarters and flagship restaurant happens to be right at the end of Music Row in Nashville.]

Thumbs up Re: ? for those of you who live ...

HAHAHAHA!!
    Styxx, I love your new avatar!!!

Hey, even in little out-of-the-way places like my small town, opportunity can knock at any time.

Why, just the other day, had a guy in a trenchcoat approach me down by Sam's Bar & Gril (the second 'l' has been missing since the flood, 'way back in '55 -- and Sam, being a sensible fellow, rather than replace the missing letter simply changed the name of the place).

Anyway, this guy walks up to me, flips open his trenchcoat, and says, "Hey, ya want mebbe a publishing deal?"

At first I was a little suspicious, but... gotta say, I'm thinking it over.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

This guy with a black mask just knocked on the door and said "Herr Hannifin?"
    I said, "Yes."
    He said "I'm here to commission a requiem mass for the dead."
    "Who's dead?" I asked.
    He said, "A man who deserved a requiem, and never got one. Do you accept? You will be well paid."
    I took the money and said "who are you?"
    "I am only a messenger," he answered. "Work fast. And be sure tell no one what you do. You will see me again."

Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Anyway, this guy walks up to me, flips open his trenchcoat, and says, "Hey, ya want mebbe a publishing deal?"

At first I was a little suspicious, but... gotta say, I'm thinking it over.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Be careful, David, these Publishing Johnnies would have the shirt off your back, while you are still counting your fingers after the handshake.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    This guy with a black mask just knocked on the door and said "Herr Hannifin?"
    I said, "Yes."
    He said "I'm here to commission a requiem mass for the dead."
    "Who's dead?" I asked.
    He said, "A man who deserved a requiem, and never got one. Do you accept? You will be well paid."
    I took the money and said "who are you?"
    "I am only a messenger," he answered. "Work fast. And be sure tell no one what you do. You will see me again."

My advice- don't write it. Jump in bed with Constanza instead.

Go Back to forum