• Register
  • Help

Topic: More ambience questions...

Share/Bookmark

More ambience questions...

Yo,

I considered posting this in the previous thread on the Garritan Ambience plug, but have decided since I have some other non-Ambience questions too, I oughta just make my own thread.

And so I have. Go me!

Okay. So... these are the things I'd sure like to know about --

Damping. EQ's obvious, and I know what "damping" is within a broad spectrum of musical contexts... except reverb. What the heck is it? Like muffling certain frequencies or something? Why should I use it? What does it simulate?

Diffusion. Understand the word. Don't get its reverberational purpose.

And finally... while trying to make brass and percussion seem more "back there," what should I be changing? Virtually everything?

Pre-delay changes cause it takes slightly longer for the sound to hit the walls.

EQ changes a bit because of the different positioning in the pit, and the decay time changes too because the sound loses more sonic energy as it has to travel farther to get to the wall... so it... dies faster... errr... I mean, right? I dunno. I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about.

Also, should I just buckle and get onboard the convolution bandwagon? I'm on PC. I barely understand these old fashioned reverbs, let alone all this realistic impulse stuff... I wouldn't know where to start.

Plus all the convolution tends to be Mac-this and Mac-that. Seems the pickin's are slim from a PC standpoint.

I'm going to go... do something... now... so, uh, thanks for the expert explanations I know I'm bound to get! You guys know a lot. Thanks for volunteering some of it to us newcomers!

-Tom

Re: More ambience questions...

I recommend some basic reading about reverbs to get an idea.

http://www.recordingproject.com/arti....php?article=3

(BTW, that link was posted in the other thread as well )

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdini
    Yo,

I considered posting this in the previous thread on the Garritan Ambience plug, but have decided since I have some other non-Ambience questions too, I oughta just make my own thread.

Go Back to forum