• Register
  • Help

Topic: Clarinet concerto continued

Share/Bookmark

Clarinet concerto continued

2. Adagio

And the second movement of op31 is complete.
    Ke Yang (OMG I'm using mah name)
    Insert Useless Advertisement Here

My Work List With GPO

Note: You might have noticed there's nothing there, yet. Massive editing going on.

Re: Clarinet concerto continued

Good work on this, Tovan... enjoyed the clarinet writing.

I might suggest perhaps a bit more attention to and work with hairpinning and dynamics generally -- some of the clarinet passages seem to me like they really would like to do a bit of soaring.

Keep it coming!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

I do try to do dynamic variances and contrast but I'm always been working with cakewalk, I have no clue how harpins and those other things work. One look at Finale and I get a headache

My Work List With GPO

Note: You might have noticed there's nothing there, yet. Massive editing going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovan
    I do try to do dynamic variances and contrast but I'm always been working with cakewalk, I have no clue how harpins and those other things work. One look at Finale and I get a headache
    I've been scoring in Finale since, gosh, I think around 1997.

And it STILL gives me a headache... lol.

But packages like CakeWalk give me a worse one, so I continue to use the scoring software.

In any event, Tovan, I'm sure there's a forthright way to do this in CakeWalk... maybe somebody 'round here can jump in and elucidate a tip or two that would help in this direction.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

This sounds very nice Tovan. In Cakewalk, for dynamics you need to use the MIDI controllers. Select all your tracks and go into your piano roll view. At the beginning of each track place a CC#7 (volume), maybe half way. To do this use the draw tool (press 'd' on your keyboard or click the pencil) and draw a quick line half way up or so.

For volume, you need to use CC#1 - the mod wheel controller. Basically you draw hills like shown here:

To play soft, you make the hills smaller. For louder, make them larger. The example in the image above is for a crescendo - to just set a new dynamic, for example going from pp to FF:

Place a little marker at the very bottom. For FF, place it at the very top. Of course if it's too loud/too quiet, you can change the original volume. I think there is a tutorial on using GPO with Cakewalk (which covers this) on the main site.

Anyway this may be a little confusing, so if you're having trouble with this post again and I'll take you through it in more detail.

-Chris

I tried that method but in wavesynth and GPO it seems to change the dynamics weirdly ... I'll it again maybe I did something wrong.

My Work List With GPO

I really enjoyed this second movement, very nice work. How long did it take you to write? Just curious... you seem to have written quite a large amount! I am very impressed! Great job. Really nice clarinet writing... I feel like writing a clarinet concerto myself now

How many more movements are you planning? I look forward to listening to the whole thing, from start to finish! (and all your future work for that matter )
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I really enjoyed this second movement, very nice work. How long did it take you to write? Just curious... you seem to have written quite a large amount! I am very impressed! Great job. Really nice clarinet writing... I feel like writing a clarinet concerto myself now

How many more movements are you planning? I look forward to listening to the whole thing, from start to finish! (and all your future work for that matter )
    Thanks this piece in particular took about 7 hours spent across two days (yeah say bye bye to my weekend). As traditional concerto go, there will be the third rondo movement the crazy fast one. Hehe, i bet your concerto will sound just as cool

thanks for listenin'

My Work List With GPO

This is beautiful, Tovan!
    I really enjoyed it.
    I can't comment on the detailed stuff because I'm not very knowledgable in composition and I perfer to enjoy music when I listen to it rather than analize it. To my ears there is a very nice flow, no sudden awkward changes (I tend to do these and I hate it ) and it's overall very enjoyable (sorry I couldn't think of a more creative word).

Great!
    -Chris

Excellent work! I enjoyed this from beginning to end. Once the dynamics are worked out it should be wonderful.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Go Back to forum