• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can I apply legato after the fact to an existing midi track?

Share/Bookmark

Question Can I apply legato after the fact to an existing midi track?

Hoping someone can help me with this. I'm trying to get a sax solo that I've composed in one of my charts to sound more realist. I composed it us Finale notation and imported the midi track into my sequencer (PT) which contained the rest of the arrangement. I couldn't play it in using the mod wheel because I don't have sufficient piano chops. When the solo plays back I'm happy with the notes themselves but certain fast passages would benefit from some legato. Can retro actively apply legato to the midi track in these sections and, if so, how do I do it? Again the sequencer is Pro Tools 6.9. Thanks for any advice.
    Jazztao

Re: Can I apply legato after the fact to an existing midi track?

Quote Originally Posted by jazztao
    Hoping someone can help me with this. I'm trying to get a sax solo that I've composed in one of my charts to sound more realist. I composed it us Finale notation and imported the midi track into my sequencer (PT) which contained the rest of the arrangement. I couldn't play it in using the mod wheel because I don't have sufficient piano chops. When the solo plays back I'm happy with the notes themselves but certain fast passages would benefit from some legato. Can retro actively apply legato to the midi track in these sections and, if so, how do I do it? Again the sequencer is Pro Tools 6.9. Thanks for any advice.
    Jazztao

Also, in the future when I'm composing with Finale notation, if you put in slur markings with that activate a legato interpretation by JABB? I realize the more subtle control will be possible in the sequencer but are slurs interpreted somewhat intelligently with HP in Finale with JABB samples?

Jazztao
    Yes you can add/subtract/edit any type of midi data in your sequencer. If you're using the standard JABB instruments, CC#64 controls legato. If you're using instruments from the notation folder, CC#68 controls legato. In PT, in your midi editor, choose the correct CC controller on the midi track in question, and use the editing tools to draw in/erase/change the legato midi data. If either CC64 or 68 doesn't show up as a controller choice to edit, then add that controller to your list. If you're new to PT, I'd suggest picking up a book for reference. You'll be able to get questions answered much faster than searching these forums.

Jeff

Also, in the future when I'm composing with Finale notation, if you put in slur markings with that activate a legato interpretation by JABB? I realize the more subtle control will be possible in the sequencer but are slurs interpreted somewhat intelligently with HP in Finale with JABB samples?
    Yes, Finale will intrepret slurs and automatically use the legato settings in those cases. If you start a piece with Finale 2006 (make sure you have 2006c) and use the setup wizard to create your score, all of the correct JABB/HP settings will be set for this to work optimumly. (sp?)

You can write in Finale , then save as a midi, then import the midi file into your sequencer for further editing.

Read this link for further instructions:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=40809

Also, in the Finale 2006c update, an extensive HP/GPO tutorial is included. You should read that. It's written for GPO, but much of the same info is applicable to JABB.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Yes, Finale will intrepret slurs and automatically use the legato settings in those cases. If you start a piece with Finale 2006 (make sure you have 2006c) and use the setup wizard to create your score, all of the correct JABB/HP settings will be set for this to work optimumly. (sp?)

You can write in Finale , then save as a midi, then import the midi file into your sequencer for further editing.

Read this link for further instructions:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=40809

Also, in the Finale 2006c update, an extensive HP/GPO tutorial is included. You should read that. It's written for GPO, but much of the same info is applicable to JABB.

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks a million--I'll get started on your suggestions right away.

Steve

Go Back to forum