• Register
  • Help

Topic: March of the Over-Fiend

Share/Bookmark

March of the Over-Fiend

Hello all,

I thought that I would try writing a march...I started it last night and finished up the rough sketch this morning. Let me know what you think of this one. Once again, this is a first for me. I was unsure how to elaborate on the main theme...does it feel to repetitive? I look forward to reading your critiques!!

Paul

March of the Over-Fiend

Re: March of the Over-Fiend

Hi Paul -

I think you're off to a good start!

I find it difficult to "critique" a person's composition. I am still re-aquainting myself to compositional techniques learned long ago. I just don't feel qualified to critique.

It does seem, though, that you are at a point in your composition where you can start exploring ways of varying your main theme. How you do that is up to you, of course. I am sure someone with more compositional chops can better express ideas/suggestions for you.

Nice use of expression. So far, you've presented a nice build up of your piece that leaves me wanting to hear more.

Enjoy yourself as you continue to work on your project!!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: March of the Over-Fiend

Quote Originally Posted by Prowland
    Hello all,

I thought that I would try writing a march...I started it last night and finished up the rough sketch this morning. Let me know what you think of this one. Once again, this is a first for me. I was unsure how to elaborate on the main theme...does it feel to repetitive? I look forward to reading your critiques!!

Paul

March of the Over-Fiend
    Hey Paul, sounds like you're moving along apace!

This is a fine effort, and the piece is basically sound... but I will try to give a few pointers aimed at getting a bit more out of what's essentially good material. Bear in mind, though, that anything one says about a composition is, in the end -- just an opinion.

Tempo:

I think perhaps kicking the tempo up on much of this somewhat would instantly make the material more compelling. To me, it sounds slow.

Voicing:

For the heck of it, try this: Transpose the entire piece up a third or so. [Do keep an eye out for range problems, of course.] To my ear, this is voiced a bit low, which will tend to make material sound darker than it should and also give the sense of "dragging", often regardless of tempo.

Dynamics:

Paul, dynamics -- and changing dynamics -- are one of the most underutilized but at the same time surely most important aspects of writing... for sake of momentum, emphasis, contrast and expression. Try going over this piece with these matters in mind, experimenting with more hairpinning and differentiation of dynamic level in different sections.

Keep 'em coming!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Go Back to forum