• Register
  • Help

Topic: better effects for GS3?

Share/Bookmark

better effects for GS3?

I've just recently purchased GS3 and have been getting familiar with it. What I don't like is the Native FX that came with it. I also have RMX and love the effects rack it has. Is there FX software you can use in GS3 that can be used similar to RMX? Should I be checking out Gigapulse? I'm running on Windows.

Re: better effects for GS3?

You can use most VST plugins in GS3 though it tends to choke pretty hard on a few of them during the initial scan, but will usually disable that plugin during the next scan. There is no latency compensation, so its usually best to use plugins with very little or no latency.

fizbin

Quote Originally Posted by fizbin
    There is no latency compensation, so its usually best to use plugins with very little or no latency.
    This makes no sense. All VST plugs have latency, some more than others. Latency compensation only applies at the DAW, not the sound module... Giga is just a sound module.

- G

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    This makes no sense. All VST plugs have latency, some more than others.
    Not sure about this. You may be right, but I think not. I know that if I look in the plugin manager in Cubase, there are several VST plugins with a 0 value in the "Delay (sample)" column. The help file describes this column:
    "This shows the delay (in samples) that will be introduced if the effect is used as an Insert. This is automatically compensated for by Cubase SX/SL."

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    Latency compensation only applies at the DAW, not the sound module... Giga is just a sound module.
    Yes, I know. That's why I said there is no latency compensation when a VST plugin is used in Gigastudio.

fizbin

Not sure about this. You may be right, but I think not. I know that if I look in the plugin manager in Cubase, there are several VST plugins with a 0 value in the "Delay (sample)" column. The help file describes this column:
    "This shows the delay (in samples) that will be introduced if the effect is used as an Insert. This is automatically compensated for by Cubase SX/SL."
    It more likely means that the plug isn't publishing the data to the host. All DSP adds latency, however slight. No biggie.

- G

It makes sense that there would have to be some latency. DSP will require processor time, even if very slight, but there are quite a few plugins out there claiming "zero latency".

http://www.google.com/search?q=vst+p...ero+latency%22

I'm curious about this now.

A DAW can compensate for latency by playing the audio or MIDI a second early to compensate. How would Giga compensate, by playing the note a second before you pressed the key? I guess that would be pretty cool though.

Go Back to forum