• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mooshing several instrument articulations into a single Giga patch

Share/Bookmark

Mooshing several instrument articulations into a single Giga patch

I'm curious if it's possible to make a "poor man's Symphonic Cube" instrument, by taking multiple articulations of an instrument (say, violins legato and violins stacatto) which would normally be in their own gig files, and combining them into one giant gig file, keyswitched by (say) a modulation value. So for example:

Modulation value 1 = keyswitch to violins legato
    Modulation value 2 = keyswitch to violins stacatto

The reason I ask is because it would be cool to use a program like Sibelius, which can tie MIDI controller changes to things like articulation symbols, to be able to access multiple instrument articulations from one staff. (Instead of laboriously setting up a staff for detache in MIDI channel 1, another for legato in MIDI channel 2, and so on.) You can do this via program changes, of course, but that requires a delicate setup on the Giga end, and if any instrument gets moved to another program change value, everything is botched. This would be robust.

That was a mouthful, but I know there are probably Instrument Editor gurus out there who have already solved this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mike

Re: Mooshing several instrument articulations into a single Giga patch

With GS3.1 it's super easy!

1) Put instrument 1 on a channel.
    2) Hold Ctrl and drag instrument 2 to the same channel to stack the instruments.
    3) Click on the little down-arrow on that channel and select "stack properties"
    4) Um... I'm away from my GS3 machine, but... basically you select something that says to play one instrument at a time
    5) Click "learn" and wiggle the controller you want to use.
    6) Save the performance. (You can also save the instrument as a GSI, but I don't remember how, offhand.)

Simple. No editor needed.

You can also blank off some of the keys (regions) from the various instruments.

Good luck!

-JF

Re: Mooshing several instrument articulations into a single Giga patch

Thanks very much!

Mike

Go Back to forum