• Register
  • Help

Topic: something I wrote this afternoon...

Share/Bookmark

something I wrote this afternoon...

I call it "Bittersweet" for solo Violin and Harp... Link
    Mind you, I have never written for harp and before I get to far with it, I should probably get ya'll's opinions of what I have so far. Once again, it is pretty short, but at 1:30 or so, it is a pretty good attempt. Anyway, I look forward to having it torn apart by you all. My expectations are leaning towards the worst case scenario.

Do your worst!!!!

Thanks,

Paul

Re: something I wrote this afternoon...

LOL... really, Paul... what's the worst one could say of this piece?

That you did a fine job with it? (You did.)

An engaging, well rendered, and worthwhile meditation, Paul; good writing for the harp, and very nice handling of the violin in this.

I have the sense we will be hearing much more from you!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Mr. Sosnowski...

Once again you do me quite the honor...thank you. Writing for the guitar is easy for me (rock'n'roll mind you), all the orchestra stuff is new to me. Sorry if I come across as insecure or trying for a compliment, in reality I am trying for constructive criticism. The compliments are very nice though LOL and might give me a bit more of an ego than your average ROCK GOD...LOL
    Anyway, thank you

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Prowland
    Mr. Sosnowski...

Once again you do me quite the honor...thank you. Writing for the guitar is easy for me (rock'n'roll mind you), all the orchestra stuff is new to me. Sorry if I come across as insecure or trying for a compliment, in reality I am trying for constructive criticism. The compliments are very nice though LOL and might give me a bit more of an ego than your average ROCK GOD...LOL
    Anyway, thank you

Paul
    Paul, somewhere around the forum, there are various discussions on good books for orchestration -- if you do not have a text on the subject, I think you'd find one extremely helpful... and probably (no kidding) fairly thrilling reading in the case of some of the better texts... lol.

FORUM:
    Maybe somebody can jump in here and point you to one of the lists or discussions of such books.

I'd shoot you in the right direction -- but I'm absolutely hopeless at finding anything in here.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Post Scriptum
    There ain't nothing wrong a'tall with gettin' a buzz off a handsome compliment -- and it's only illegal in Utah.

I have been getting some of the books that I have seen on-line...Rimsky-korsakov's principles of orchestration is my latest find...just last week. I guess to get the most out of it, I will have to enter all the examples. Good Lord, that is a daunting task!! LOL Still, what I have gleaned from it so far has been an immense help.

Of course, money is very tight right now. A change in career paths...going to college...finally finding out why my ear tells me what it does. LOL Writing harmony correctly (I know the barest minimum...the rest is what sounds right to me.)

Anyway, I know that at some point I will need the Adler text book and accompanying CDs. At the moment that is outside of my budget. It is strange, I am both scared to death and as excited as a kid on Christmas eve.

Thank you again,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by etLux

FORUM:
    Maybe somebody can jump in here and point you to one of the lists or discussions of such books.

Paul,
    One of the discussions David is referring to can be found at the link below:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33676

Look at the first entry in the thread for a list of books reviewed by one of our forum members (Poolman). He did a very good job and provoked some good discussion as well.

I don't have any "constructive criticism" either...this is a nice little piece you wrote and I also liked the way you handled the violin!

...let us hear more in the future!

;-)
    jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Prowland
    I have been getting some of the books that I have seen on-line...Rimsky-korsakov's principles of orchestration is my latest find...just last week. I guess to get the most out of it, I will have to enter all the examples. Good Lord, that is a daunting task!! LOL Still, what I have gleaned from it so far has been an immense help.

Of course, money is very tight right now. A change in career paths...going to college...finally finding out why my ear tells me what it does. LOL Writing harmony correctly (I know the barest minimum...the rest is what sounds right to me.)

Anyway, I know that at some point I will need the Adler text book and accompanying CDs. At the moment that is outside of my budget. It is strange, I am both scared to death and as excited as a kid on Christmas eve.

Thank you again,

Paul
    ROFL... "both scared to death and as excited as a kid on Christmas..."

I've been doing this for forty years -- and every single time I pick up the pen? I feel exactly the same way.

May I hope you have the good fortune that that never changes for you.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Go Back to forum