• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My rant

Share/Bookmark

My rant

Just to get this out of the way right out of the box so as to not disparage anyone from buying Spectrasonics products. I consider Spectrasonics to be the top of the heap in quality products and costomer service. If there is a company to emulate ..... this is it. I have nothing but praise for the caliber of their product, and the great lengths they go through to make your experience the best that it can be.

My rant is aimed at Ilio and Ultimate SoundBank. I'll even take a little blame myself for showing some trust in good business practice. It all starts like this.

I've got $114.64 to kill in what I'll call my internet account, and for reasons only known to me .......... I want it as close to zero as is possible. I thusly go searching for something to beaf up my Stylus RMX library. Since there are already two expanders in my library, it was decided that I would search for REX 2 files for the sake of diversity. After a bit of searching, I found my quarry on the Ilio site in the name of Soundscan titles by Ultimate SoundBank (all on sale at $33 a pop). I purchased three titles listed as having REX 2 files. Total bill would be $109 with shipping. It doesn't get any better than this! So I thought.

I get an Email the next day stating that two titles are on the way and one title is on backorder. No problem .... this happens from time to time. Two days later I receive my two copies and proceed to the mother loading. Unfortunately there are no REX 2 files to be found. I call Ilio and get the recommendation to call USB. I said OK I'll call USB. Where is their number? Well I couldn't find it so I sent an Email and since I know USB isn't well known for costomer service, I posted up at their link to the KVR message board. I didn't get a reply to my Email and this was expected, unfortunately through the message board it was becoming quite clear that REX 2 files were not on the disks as advertised by way of the link at the Ilio site. At any rate I called strike three on Ultimate SoundBank. This isn't the first issue I've had with them so it was easy to call a strike even though I'm not sure they maintain the link. Their costomer service is essentially non-existent (yer out!). To bad because they have some nice products.

So the decision was made to return the two titles received and cancel the one on backorder, and in place of that I'll purchase Skippy's Noizbox at $99, and throw my diversity need out the window. So now I'm making a trip to the post office and paying a second shipping fee ( no biggy it"s snail mail (minor cost with inconvenience)). I'm still willing to shrug and move on. Ilio gets the two titles back and sends Skippy's Noizbox.

Here' where I made a mistake. I assumed (@ss U Me) that Ilio would not charge a shipping fee, but you guessed it (they did!). I'd normally call this a strike on the outside corner, (but), and there is a butt, The shipping charge of $6.50 made me overdrawn in my account by .86 cents. Luckily I opened my mail the day I was in for a five dollar a day fee until the remedy. So off I go to the bank to make a healthy deposit of five smackeroos. So now I'm incensed and calling this a strike down the middle of the plate.

My word of advice to Ilio is

Sometimes you gotta eat it!

Re: My rant

Quote Originally Posted by Pi_314
    Soundscan titles by Ultimate SoundBank (all on sale at $33 a pop). I purchased three titles listed as having REX 2 files.Sometimes you gotta eat it!
    I was thinking of a purchase similar to your's - getting the REX 2 files from the Soundscan. It would be good to know which ones don't have the REX 2 files like advertized.

Just to get this out of the way right out of the box so as to not disparage anyone from buying Spectrasonics products. I consider Spectrasonics to be the top of the heap in quality products and costomer service. If there is a company to emulate ..... this is it. I have nothing but praise for the caliber of their product, and the great lengths they go through to make your experience the best that it can be.

My rant is aimed at Ilio and Ultimate SoundBank. I'll even take a little blame myself for showing some trust in good business practice. It all starts like this.

I've got $114.64 to kill in what I'll call my internet account, and for reasons only known to me .......... I want it as close to zero as is possible. I thusly go searching for something to beaf up my Stylus RMX library. Since there are already two expanders in my library, it was decided that I would search for REX 2 files for the sake of diversity. After a bit of searching, I found my quarry on the Ilio site in the name of Soundscan titles by Ultimate SoundBank (all on sale at $33 a pop). I purchased three titles listed as having REX 2 files. Total bill would be $109 with shipping. It doesn't get any better than this! So I thought.

I get an Email the next day stating that two titles are on the way and one title is on backorder. No problem .... this happens from time to time. Two days later I receive my two copies and proceed to the mother loading. Unfortunately there are no REX 2 files to be found. I call Ilio and get the recommendation to call USB. I said OK I'll call USB. Where is their number? Well I couldn't find it so I sent an Email and since I know USB isn't well known for costomer service, I posted up at their link to the KVR message board. I didn't get a reply to my Email and this was expected, unfortunately through the message board it was becoming quite clear that REX 2 files were not on the disks as advertised by way of the link at the Ilio site. At any rate I called strike three on Ultimate SoundBank. This isn't the first issue I've had with them so it was easy to call a strike even though I'm not sure they maintain the link. Their costomer service is essentially non-existent (yer out!). To bad because they have some nice products.

So the decision was made to return the two titles received and cancel the one on backorder, and in place of that I'll purchase Skippy's Noizbox at $99, and throw my diversity need out the window. So now I'm making a trip to the post office and paying a second shipping fee ( no biggy it"s snail mail (minor cost with inconvenience)). I'm still willing to shrug and move on. Ilio gets the two titles back and sends Skippy's Noizbox.

Here' where I made a mistake. I assumed (@ss U Me) that Ilio would not charge a shipping fee, but you guessed it (they did!). I'd normally call this a strike on the outside corner, (but), and there is a butt, The shipping charge of $6.50 made me overdrawn in my account by .86 cents. Luckily I opened my mail the day I was in for a five dollar a day fee until the remedy. So off I go to the bank to make a healthy deposit of five smackeroos. So now I'm incensed and calling this a strike down the middle of the plate.

My word of advice to Ilio is

Sometimes you gotta eat it!
    Well, that's a few minutes of my life I'll never get back. Thanks

Well, that's a few minutes of my life I'll never get back. Thanks

Well I lost about three hours and had to pay for it to boot. So your few minutes should tell you something. Now send me a dollar for your time just to drive it home. Yeah dtobocman - I had to pay for their mistake. If you don't see something ininherently wrong with this, then business will have you for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Granted this is a small amount of money, but thats not the gist of the post. It's about costomer service and the fact that I was the one doing the service.

I look at these message boards as a sort of consumer reports, and there is a wealth of information to be had if you take the time. You are now informed that Ilio will charge you for their mistakes, or charge you for Ultimate SoundBanks mistakes. I was going to let this slide, but when I got stuck doing more leg work because of an overdrawn bank account. Lets just say it jerked my chain and caused me to bite.

Heres how I would have handled it - I would have told my costomer to keep those two titles free of charge. I would have given my costomer the option of canceling the backordered title, with the option of crediting back to their account $109, or making a purchase of another product. The reason for giving those two titles away is to prevent the costomer from having to perform a duty that wasn't in the original deal. The business loss is what ten bucks? No problem .. it is after all a business mistake. As a business I would be jumping through some hoops to entertain my costomer, and not the other way around.

So here is what they get for not jumping through even one hoop. I will not likely buy anymore of their products with the exception of a Spectrasonic product if I can't get it elswhere. I will report their poor business acumen here on this message board. What this cost them I have no idea, but I do know what it cost me to do business with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisman
    I was thinking of a purchase similar to your's - getting the REX 2 files from the Soundscan. It would be good to know which ones don't have the REX 2 files like advertized.
    I do know that Twisted Special FX and Disjointed Textures do not have REX 2 files. Those were the two I recieved. There are two links to these titles. The link that is on Ultimate SoundBanks site is likely a correct list. The link that was on the Ilio site can't be trusted whatsoever. In any event very few titles on the USB site contain Rex files. In Ilio's defense I think the link that was on their site is not maintained by Ilio.

I think that the "rant" part is what might not have been necessary. Ilio has been a loyal vender to a vast multitude of customers.

I will admit that I'm surprised of the fact that the collections are misrespresented in terms of contents. That, in itself, should not happen. While Ilio was obviously unaware of the error (probably trusting in what the developer sited), I think it's important to be very clear about what you're selling, and guarantee a transaction to that end.

Now, regarding the shipping... I can't imagine a quick phone call wouldn't get that charge reversed. I've never know Shelly and Mark Hiskey to be anything other than caring about their business.

If you did try to get the charge reversed, to no avail, I myself would reconsider future purchases from a company that made a blatant oversight. I just don't believe that could have happened with Ilio.

I think that the "rant" part is what might not have been necessary. Ilio has been a loyal vender to a vast multitude of customers.
    This is where I made my mistake. I took it as a given that a shipping charge would have been waved for obvious reasons, because I was dealing with a sound business. What can I say? I was surprised.

I will admit that I'm surprised of the fact that the collections are misrespresented in terms of contents. That, in itself, should not happen. While Ilio was obviously unaware of the error (probably trusting in what the developer sited), I think it's important to be very clear about what you're selling, and guarantee a transaction to that end.
    I am not surprised that these titles are misquoted if Ultimate SoundBank is involved. Lets just say this is par for the course. It wouldn't be the first misrepresentation. It would seem Ilio has stopped the link until it is fixed. This could take weeks by USB standards. I don't fault Ilio for this error, but they are the seller and must accept it as if it were their error. I leave it to them to take this up with USB. It's not my problem.

Now, regarding the shipping... I can't imagine a quick phone call wouldn't get that charge reversed. I've never know Shelly and Mark Hiskey to be anything other than caring about their business.

If you did try to get the charge reversed, to no avail, I myself would reconsider future purchases from a company that made a blatant oversight. I just don't believe that could have happened with Ilio.
    It,s very possible that the shipping would be reversed if I put up a stink, but I hit a point of no return when I had to jump through that last hoop ((last) hoop). Everybody has a breaking point. That was mine with the caveat from this thread. This is where I wipe my hands, and be done with it. I never once got the impression that this was (not) my mistake from my personal conversations with Ilio. It was always me that had to meet them more than half way. At this point my back is turned, and they can come to me through a grapevine for all I care.

You're whining about a $6.50 charge that sent your balance in the red by less than a dollar. get a life. Sh*t happens... I will continue to buy Ilio products knowing full well that buying stuff over the internet has the downside of having multiple shipping charges if something goes wrong.

Long winded stories that have a >$10 lesson at the end are a waste of my precious time and constitute a breach of etiquette, in my opinion. There's a "social contract" on cool forums like this one that we won't waste each other's time. I'm here at these forums to help others and here's my helpful advice to you...

Get some perspective on your life man.

Quote Originally Posted by dtobocman
    You're whining about a $6.50 charge that sent your balance in the red by less than a dollar. get a life. Sh*t happens... I will continue to buy Ilio products knowing full well that buying stuff over the internet has the downside of having multiple shipping charges if something goes wrong.

Long winded stories that have a >$10 lesson at the end are a waste of my precious time and constitute a breach of etiquette, in my opinion. There's a "social contract" on cool forums like this one that we won't waste each other's time. I'm here at these forums to help others and here's my helpful advice to you...

Get some perspective on your life man.
    You must not think this is a waste of your time (Newsflash! Yer back!)
    And once again this is not so much about $6.50
    It's about costomer service or the lack of it.

And yep there is a downside to buying on the internet, but I'm not ready to heel to a business at their command. If you are content at being someones dog .... be my guest.

You must not think this is a waste of your time (Newsflash! Yer back!)
    And once again this is not so much about $6.50
    It's about costomer service or the lack of it.

And yep there is a downside to buying on the internet, but I'm not ready to heel to a business at their command. If you are content at being someones dog .... be my guest.
    How about this... deal with your >$10 problem on your own and don't waste other people's time (just as we all do). I'm here to help people, so I read their rants with the hope that I can help them out.

Here's my advice to you... develop some manners and think about others and whether you're overstepping your welcome by typing up a bunch of long paragraphs, getting people to read about your probelms, when you know there's nothing anyone else can do for you... and you KNOW that your warning is not really a news flash.

Etiquette.

Go Back to forum