• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Announcement: the "Skysaw New Music Prize"

Share/Bookmark

Post Announcement: the "Skysaw New Music Prize"

THE SKYSAW NEW MUSIC PRIZE #1, Theme: "Bittersweet"

Need inspiration for a new piece? Don't know what to write? Time for a little shove!

I have decided to offer this opportunity as my contribution to the Garritan community. I do not wish to overshadow the forum's Orchestration Challenges, which I think are of great value here, so I have constructed this contest to be of a very different nature. If this round goes well, I'd like to do this every other month or so.

FOCUS
    The focus of the contest is on originality in music composition, and on originality and craft of orchestration technique. Beautifully crafted works full of heart soul and passion may not fare as well here if they do not also have a unique vision. However, I am not looking for "novelty for novelty's sake."

INTENT
    I would like to start encouraging and rewarding "unsafe" composition on these forums, and in general.

GENERAL RESTRICTIONS
    1. All sound sources must originate from Garritan libraries (GPO, JABB, Garriatan Strad, etc.) Further manipulation is allowed -- sounds may be processed with any reverb, delay, EQ, compressors, amp simulators, etc.
    2. All music must be original and written by the contest entrant. Arrangements of existing music will not be accepted.

PRIZES
    Please excuse my humble offerings, but it is all I can contribute at this time.

First prize:
    1. Entrant's choice of two of three of my CDs (Red Wire/Rock; Running Deep/Soundtrack; Modern Works for Orchestra/Classical... details to come on these).
    2. Short bio, link, and mp3 download on the allhands.com website (if desired), on a soon-to-be-created contest result area.
    3. (EDIT)Gary is donating a Garritan Library of the winner's choice to add to the first prize.

Second prize:
    1. Entrant's choice of one of my CDs listed above.

In addition, I will give the top four entries analysis and detailed reviews.

DEADLINE
    Deadline for entries is February 15, 2006*. You may enter simply by stating your intent here and linking to your entry. If you don't have an easy way to host your file, please PM me, and we'll work something out.
    *(EDIT) Due to Gary's generous offer, the deadline has been extended to March 1

JUDGING
    All initial judging to narrow the candidates to the top two will be done by me. Who am I to judge? Nobody, really. But I have been writing music for over 30 years, and listen to more than my share of many different styles.

The top two entries will be posted in a new thread along with my comments, and put to a vote by the entire forum community. The final winner will be decided by a majority of votes.

GUIDELINES FOR THIS MONTH
    A. Length - 1-3 minutes.
    B. Theme - Your theme for this month is "Bittersweet." Feel free to interpret that however you like. I offer it mainly as a starting point to spark your muse.
    C. Instrumentation - Pick 4-7 from this list:
    1. Solo violin
    2. Harp or accordian
    3. Tuba
    4. Trumpet or Piccolo trumpet (muted or open)
    5. Flute or alto flute or bass flute
    6. Piano
    7. Celesta or Vibraphone

I believe that the short length requirement and small instrumentation will allow people to complete something in the short time I am alloting to this contest.

Good luck to all who apply!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Announcement: the "Skysaw New Music Prize"

Sounds like a neat idea

I have one question though... On the instrumentation list, you mention accordian. Now, let's say I want to use that as one of my choices but don't have JABB yet have a separate accordian sample... Is it forbidden to use that?

This sounds so cool! I want to give it a shot, but don't know if I can make the deadline. I hope others will participate so that you do a second round. If time permits for this round - I'm in! Great idea!

Best,
    Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Jamie,

This is a great idea!!! I will definitely participate.

;-)

jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
    On the instrumentation list, you mention accordian. Now, let's say I want to use that as one of my choices but don't have JABB yet have a separate accordian sample... Is it forbidden to use that?
    I'd like in general to be flexible with the rules, but in this case, I'd like to keep it only to Garritan instruments. It is in the spirit of this competition to help promote Garritan products, since I feel indebted to them. Note that it's "harp or accordian," so JABBers without GPO won't be able to use the harp that is available to you. Restrictions can be GOOD! I find they help the creative process rather than hinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll
    This sounds so cool! I want to give it a shot, but don't know if I can make the deadline. I hope others will participate so that you do a second round. If time permits for this round - I'm in! Great idea!
    Would love to have you join in this round or any other. Just remember, a 60-second long quartet would still qualify!
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    This sounds like a great idea and I look forward to participating and hearing the other entries. When you say "unsafe", are you particularly looking for non-conventional compositions (12 tone, etc.) or did you mean something different.
    "Non-conventional" is a fairly loaded term in this context. I'm just hoping to hear some individuality and some fresh ideas. I don't consider 12-tone particularly fresh these days. Neither is I-IV-V. Then again, I'm sure there's a way to present either of them in a light that doesn't sound familiar. If you're getting the idea that I'm avoiding the question, you're not all together incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    TI wanted to use double bass or cello, but I guess the tuba could substitute (though a poor sub it will be, you know how terrible most tuba players are).
    This is precisely why you should write for tuba! Shed your old ideas of what role it should play, or how well it can do it. (Yes, I know you aren't completely serious).

And besides, that tireless GPO tubaist can be quite a virtuoso!
    - Jamie Kowalski

Thumbs up Re: Announcement: the "Skysaw New Music Prize"

Wow! Very nice Jamie! Looks like you will have your ears full on judging some top competitors.
    Cool.
    Styxx

Ooooo... this certainly looks interesting... I may have to give it a try for the experience. It's always fun to experiment (though the results may get messy)
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Very cool!

I like limitations... especially since these aren't limits I'd have thought to impose on myself!

I think your idea is wonderful, and I hope lots of folks at least give it a try. I will...

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    Further manipulation is allowed -- sounds may be processed with any reverb, delay, EQ, compressors, amp simulators, etc.
    Sounds like fun, I may join in.

What about garritan sounds that are processed so far as to be unrecognizable (i.e. run through all sorts of crazy filters, ring modulators, etc.)? or should we limit it to "mastering" effects?

chris.

Go Back to forum