• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: Sym-pathetic resonance in Ivory?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Question "Sym-pathetic" resonance in Ivory?

    Hello everyone,
    I'm looking for a good piano library to buy - currently I only have the one bundled with K2. From what I've read in this and other forums Ivory seems to be generally preferred over Akoustik Piano. TBO also seems very interesting, but I don't know if it's high number of velocity layers outweigh the flexibility of having three different pianos with Ivory. I'm primarily looking for a classical sound.
    How do Ivory and TBO compare do you think? (I did read the TBO vs Ivory thread, but I wished there were more comments from people who've tried both)

    One thing that's important to me is sympathetic resonance. In a thread on the KVR forums I read this which made me a bit worried since I'm leaning towards Ivory at the moment:
    One of the developers of a sympathetic resonance tech said, after playing both Ivory and Akoustik,
    that he preferred Akoustik - Ivory's sympathetic resonance was apparently pathetic in comparison.
    Anyone here with experience of both Ivory and other pianos who can say something about it's sympathetic resonance? How flexible is it and how good do you think it is compared to what one can to with K2 and the Kornel scripts? In general, what are the weak points of Ivory?

    Best regards,
    Nils L

  2. #2

    Re: Sym-pathetic resonance in Ivory?

    Nils,

    I can't answer your questions, but let me offer these comments:

    1) Regardless of whether Ivory has Sympathetic resonance, there is absolutely nothing pathetic about Ivory. A lot of people at KvR are all bluster.

    2) Make that 4 pianos; I just saw an advertisement that says that Ivory is adding a Fazoli in an upcoming upgrade.

    3) Sympathetic resonance aside: The difference between any of these pianos is simply their individual character. You have to listen and play and decide which one *YOU* like the best. What I or anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

    4) Playability is an important factor too. The one that has Sympathetic resonance may or may not actually FEEL great when you go to play it. What is good is a sample library that isn't inspiring to play, regardless of Sympathetic resonance?

  3. #3

    Re: Sym-pathetic resonance in Ivory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    Nils,
    I can't answer your questions, but let me offer these comments:

    1) Regardless of whether Ivory has Sympathetic resonance, there is absolutely nothing pathetic about Ivory. A lot of people at KvR are all bluster.

    2) Make that 4 pianos; I just saw an advertisement that says that Ivory is adding a Fazoli in an upcoming upgrade.

    3) Sympathetic resonance aside: The difference between any of these pianos is simply their individual character. You have to listen and play and decide which one *YOU* like the best. What I or anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

    4) Playability is an important factor too. The one that has Sympathetic resonance may or may not actually FEEL great when you go to play it. What is good is a sample library that isn't inspiring to play, regardless of Sympathetic resonance?
    Hi Journeyman, thanks for you answers. You're right, maybe I shouldn't have quoted the word 'pathetic' in the title, sorry I just couldn't resist the pun. I certainly didn't mean it as an insult to Ivory as a product. Actually I've tried some version earlier than 1.5, and liked it very much. But there wasn't any sympathetic resonance between tones with that one, so either I didn't find the setting or it's new in the 1.5 version. I would like to be able to press C and G silently and then strike C an octave higher and hear it in the lower C and G (with C being louder than G).

    Very interesting to hear about that 4th piano. You don't happen to have a link? Also, thanks very much your tips. I'll definitely try to test pianos myself, but TBO isn't available in any music store I know of so I have no chance of comparing the full range versions of TBO and Ivory.
    Still very interested to hear from someone who has used them both.

    Nils

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    5,755

    Re: Sym-pathetic resonance in Ivory?

    I cannot compare to Ivory, but would urge you to give TBO a try if you can find someone in your area who might facilitate this. It plays uncannily well, and inspires me to play. As mentioned, I cannot make the direct comparison to Ivory, but can compare directly to Akoustik Piano and many others. TBO is one of those "class of its own," libraries, so by all means I'd recommend it as at least worthy of your interest. As far as its suitability to classical repertoire, I think you'd find it easily workable. It takes convolution very well, and is mono compatible so its width can be varied successfully to the needs of a particular soundstage placement.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    310

    Re: Sym-pathetic resonance in Ivory?

    I have tried Ivory and I use a lot TBO so I can give you some comments :

    None of these pianos have sympathetic resonance, but with TBO you can use Kornel script that works very well with it (http://music.mezo.com/) (with a powerful config.)

    Ivory is great lush sounding and versatile, with a bunch of cool presets. Pedal down resonance could be better IMO (Akoustik is more "true" for that, even if overall, it not sounds as flattering as Ivory). Repedaling in Ivory works well (including repedaling during the release). From a plug-and-play perspective, Ivory is hard to beat. And if they include a Fazioli as good as the Bos., it will be really unique !

    TBO has an incredible expressivity potential, thank's to the so-many-layers and the sampletekk unique (and distinctive) way to capture timbre evolution. If you have a great keyboard, spend some time adjusting it to your play, it's really a great piano. At 100$ with the current groupbuy, it's a must have.

    Well, just my 2 cent, both are worth a try (TBO has a downloadable demo, hard to appreciate the full potential of the piano, but it gives you the flavor).


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    310

    Re: Sym-pathetic resonance in Ivory?

    Quote Originally Posted by kotori
    Actually I've tried some version earlier than 1.5, and liked it very much. But there wasn't any sympathetic resonance between tones with that one, so either I didn't find the setting or it's new in the 1.5 version. I would like to be able to press C and G silently and then strike C an octave higher and hear it in the lower C and G (with C being louder than C).
    This is not implemented in Ivory, neither in TBO or Akoustik.
    NI may implement it in future AKP releases.
    With TBO you can use third party scripts in K2.

  7. #7

    Re: Sym-pathetic resonance in Ivory?

    Hi Laurent and Bruce!
    Thank you very much for your answers. This was really helpful to me. I was surprised to learn that Ivory doesn't have sympathetic resonance between keys - the Swedish retailer said it would have, but I guess they were wrong. 100$ for TBO does indeed seem like a good deal. Maybe it's good to go with something cheaper first and then wait for competition to make the bigger libraries (in terms of number of pianos that is) less expensive.

    The only thing that worries me is using K2, since it seems to have problems when many notes are released at the same time. Also I wonder if my computer (AMD 4400+ X2, 2GB RAM) will be able to cope with the many velocity layers of TBO. Laurent, what would you say about the system load of TBO compared to Ivory? Also, in case you used it with K2, did you experience any problems?

    Thanks a lot again.
    Nils

  8. #8

    Re: Sym-pathetic resonance in Ivory?

    Just for clarification purposes, the Fazioli for Ivory will not be included with the other 3 pianos, it's an add-on volume that has to be purchased seperately for $139 (SRP).
    Sounds great though (as far as I could tell with all the noise at NAMM)

    matto

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    310

    Re: Sym-pathetic resonance in Ivory?

    Quote Originally Posted by kotori
    The only thing that worries me is using K2, since it seems to have problems when many notes are released at the same time. Also I wonder if my computer (AMD 4400+ X2, 2GB RAM) will be able to cope with the many velocity layers of TBO. Laurent, what would you say about the system load of TBO compared to Ivory? Also, in case you used it with K2, did you experience any problems?
    I can't directly compare the system load because pianos were not on the same PC. You won't have any pb with your CPU and RAM, but remember that K2 rely on DFD, so your HD config is important. I use a dedicated 7200rpm HD for samples (+P4 3,6 and 2GB RAM) and I have no problem running TBO, even with high polyphony / sustained notes.
    You may have difficulties if you use some sympathetic resonnance scripts at full power (means for pedal up AND pedal down emulation : it can generate +200 voices), then you have to tune a little DFD setting and adjust script load (read http://music.mezo.com/ for comprehensive information).
    If symp. res. is important for you, I encourage you to test those scripts, even with your present pianos, just to make an idea. Scripts are piano specific, but can work with any library (just the volume / velocity / fade balance won't be good).

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •