• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone using an M-Audio Ozone

Share/Bookmark

Anyone using an M-Audio Ozone

Wondering if anyone has any tips on using an M-Audio Ozone, a keyboard I basically only use while travelling with JABB or GPO. It seems to me that when using either program I could save time and effort by assign controllers to the many available assignable knobs.

Also, because the Ozone has an audio card built in, it means that it might have some advantages I'm not benefitting from by leaving it wrapped in its travel case while I dog it with all my stay at home gear. Maybe? Maybe not.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Paul
    Last edited by daerp@mac.com; 01-19-2006 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Clarifying
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: Anyone using an M-Audio Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    Wondering if anyone has any tips on using an M-Audio Ozone, a keyboard I basically only use while travelling with JABB or GPO. It seems to me that when using either program I could save time and effort by assign controllers to the many available assignable knobs.

Also, because the Ozone has an audio card built in, it means that it might have some advantages I'm not benefitting from by leaving it wrapped in its travel case while I dog it with all my stay at home gear. Maybe? Maybe not.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Paul
    Paul,

I travel with an Ozone, laptop, and accessories all packed into the M-Audio Studio Pack Deluxe with wheels. It works great and is very compact so I can use it as a "carry on" on the plane.

I assign knobs to a selection of controllers for demonstration purposes. I also use the converters and headphone output which are superior to the built in laptop choices. I don't, however, use it in the studio except when I am transferring files for use on the laptop. It's just a travel setup. In the studio I have an even more comprehensive set of assignable sliders and knobs on one of my main keyboards. If you don't have similar capabilities in your home setup then it might be convenient to add the Ozone just to get access to the assignable knobs.

Tom

Tom,

I've got the Ozone as well, great little unit - except that I am unable to use the audio inputs and outputs at the same time. If I do, the unit goes into audio overload, and it's painful. Have you ever used your Ozone in this mode??

Trond

Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    I don't own Ozone but the simlar MK-461C controler keyboard which comes
    with the (free) Enigma software.
    I've assigned all available GPO/JABB controlers to knobs/sliders, sent this
    settings via Enigma to my PC where I can name and save this presets.
    I've done this for most of my VSTis and can now easily switch between
    those presets.

Tom

Thanks Tom and others for this info. I will continue to use the OZONE while on the road.

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Quote Originally Posted by dnortana
    Tom,

I've got the Ozone as well, great little unit - except that I am unable to use the audio inputs and outputs at the same time. If I do, the unit goes into audio overload, and it's painful. Have you ever used your Ozone in this mode??

Trond
    I took a little time to see what happened with simultaneous ins and outs (since I haven't had any need for that) and mine seemed to work fine. Yours sounds like a possible signal routing problem and a resulting feedback loop perhaps. Check your software and make sure that you aren't sending a monitored signal back to the input.

Tom

Trond,

I did some more experimenting and I was able to induce some extreme distortion on the inputs if the M-Audio ASIO driver was set to 16bit rather than 24bit. Check your M-Audio control panel and see if it is set to 16bit. The 24bit seemed to work fine. This could vary with the host software. I was testing on Cubase LE.

Tom

Go Back to forum