• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tascam announces Giga Virtual Instrument for Pc AND Mac !!!

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Tascam announces Giga Virtual Instrument for Pc AND Mac !!!

http://www.tascam.com/Press/Releases/gvi.html

Giga in Vsti and Rtas format, both for Pc and Mac !!

What a surprise !!
    Stéphane Péneau
    CASAWAVE

Re: Tascam announces Giga Virtual Instrument for Pc AND Mac !!!

Hmm, but what exactly IS this thing?

The article says it's "powered by Giga", but then later on it says:

Those who want to create new libraries from scratch or get into even deeper instrument editing can upgrade to GigaStudio 3 Orchestra, which also features the zero-latency Kernel performance, GigaPulse Pro processing and sophisticated mixing features that make it the ultimate professional sampling workstation.
    So the VSTI version DOESN'T have the kernel performance (which we all knew was impossibl for a VSTI anyway). How can it therefore be "powered by Giga"?

I'm sure that they are re-using some of the Giga code, so it's powered by Giga. What percentage? Who knows?

GS3 uses GSIF drivers to keep the path from the disk to the audio card at the kernel level. The new VI will have to bring the output up to the application layer to pass the audio to the DAW. Will they use Kernel processing internally? Again, who knows?

I'm happy using GS3 as is, so the new VI doesn't much matter to me. However, I think it's the right thing to do. In fact, I urged Pete Snell to take this route back at NAB. (Don't credit me though. Lots of people have asked Tascam to do this. And they're smart enough to figure it out for themselves.)

Anyway, it's an excellent move on their part. I wish them great success in completing the development, testing and deployment.

-JF

I don't know if GVI will stay at the kernel level.
    It seems possible as Fx-max GigaVst Adapter is a reality
    Stéphane Péneau
    CASAWAVE

Are they going to sell the stand-alone and the instrument as seperate products? Looks like it...oh well, at least they are moving forward..sort of.

Go Back to forum