• Register
  • Help

Topic: A.Z.I.L.E.A: Comparison VSL <--> GPO

Share/Bookmark

A.Z.I.L.E.A: Comparison VSL <--> GPO

A.Z.I.L.E.A - romance.4.cello&.harp

Azilea is a palindrome.
    This romance is dedicated to my girlfriend Eliza. She passed away 20 years ago when she was 27 years old by an fatal accident.

I wrote this piece 20 years ago for classical guitar for myself and it was never published & but now I will it use as lead theme for a film.

Now I arranged it for Cello & Harp in two versions:

Garritan Personal Orchestra (Reverb Silverspike R2):

http://music.v4m.net/ove4/AzileA_GPO.mp3

GigaStudio 3 & Vienna Symphonic Library (Reverb built in):

http://music.v4m.net/ove4/AzileA_VSL.mp3

I wrote the score with Geniesoft's Overture 4.
    I know it is a comparison between David & Goliath, but the result is interesting

What do you think?

Jovan

Re: A.Z.I.L.E.A: Comparison VSL <--> GPO

This is a very nice piece. The melodies are pretty.

The crescendos after EACH note attack in the VSL cello are too much. ACH HIMMEL! Nein, Nein! It soon becomes wearying to the ear. Ist Verboten! Is this effect a part of the sample library itself or did you do that deliberately?

The cello double-stops near the end are muddy because the notes are too close to each other interval-wise.

Otherwise, you did a good job.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

It may be a case of "David and Goliath" -- but which one is the Goliath... lol?

I'd go with the GPO version on this, hands down, no question.

No idea if this goes to implementation or not; but the GPO version sounds far warmer and, to my ear at least, much more realistic.

Interesting! Thanks for posting this.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

It's allways a matter of the amount of time which one would like to invest in the articulations of a a piece & library.
    It is much easier to come to a good result with GPO than with VSL.
    VSL is a really excellent library, but the handling....

:-) Jovan

Thumbs up Re: A.Z.I.L.E.A: Comparison VSL <--> GPO

First, I think Larry needs to stay out of the barn for a while. A very lovely yet emotional work. I felt it was extremely expressive work in the cello. I also prefer the GPO version and concur it has a warmer effect which supports the emotional tone.
    Very beautiful!
    Styxx

Paul,

I definitely agree that the GPO version is warmer. VSL seems to react to the dynamic markings awkwardly (which may be do to the complexity of VSL).

Good luck on your venture, the piece is very nice. I enjoyed listening to it!

RichR
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

This particular comparison is a bit unfair since it uses only one cello articulation from VSL. VSL is very similar to GOS in that there are many choices to make for the exact sound you want. It is necessary to use the key switching feature in Gigastudio to switch between the different sounds needed. This is however a perfect example of how easy GPO is to use!
    just my 2 penny's worth.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    This particular comparison is a bit unfair since it uses only one cello articulation from VSL.
    First, let me say how hauntingly beautiful this piece is!!! WOW. And the expression!! Compositionally, this is fantastic. And you have two fine renditions of it. I am particular to Chromatic Harp #2 in GPO myself, but personal taste is personal taste.

But I was listening to this while looking at the snow fall out my big picture window. I know the meaning of this piece was different than what I was experiencing, but there it is.

I agree with Dan here. VSL CAN sound superbly realistic - if one takes the time to program ALL the articulations and samples needed to render a truly musical SOUNDING performance. But I think that I speak for a lot of people when I say that GPO is a much more musical library. Meaning, you can get an immediately MUSICAL and fairly realistic performance right off that bat while playing in real time. You can even make it better if you go back afterwards and spiffy things up. CC-wise. I WISH that the original GPO had included nonvibrato samples of the solo strings as well. Yes, it wouldn't have sounded as good moving from non-vibrato to vibrato (the reason why morphing is just too cool), but we would have that different color in there to choose. But I am sure it was a choice made from a perspective of library size/cost. GPOA will have all that stuff. (I hope)

Listening to these demos makes me realize how slow I am at producing stuff. But it sure is nice listening.

Thanks for sharing this!!!

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    This is a very nice piece. The melodies are pretty.

The crescendos after EACH note attack in the VSL cello are too much. ACH HIMMEL! Nein, Nein! It soon becomes wearying to the ear. Ist Verboten! Is this effect a part of the sample library itself or did you do that deliberately?

The cello double-stops near the end are muddy because the notes are too close to each other interval-wise.

Otherwise, you did a good job.

Larry A.
    This effect comes from the library itself, but it depends of the kind of articulation you use.

:-) Jovan

Go Back to forum