• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A.Z.I.L.E.A: Comparison VSL <--> GPO

Share/Bookmark

A.Z.I.L.E.A: Comparison VSL <--> GPO

A.Z.I.L.E.A - romance.4.cello&.harp

Azilea is a palindrome.
    This romance is dedicated to my girlfriend Eliza. She passed away 20 years ago when she was 27 years old by an fatal accident.

I wrote this piece 20 years ago for classical guitar for myself and it was never published & but now I will it use as lead theme for a film.

Now I arranged it for Cello & Harp in two versions:

Garritan Personal Orchestra (Reverb Silverspike R2):

http://music.v4m.net/ove4/AzileA_GPO.mp3

GigaStudio 3 & Vienna Symphonic Library (Reverb built in):

http://music.v4m.net/ove4/AzileA_VSL.mp3

I wrote the score with Geniesoft's Overture 4.
    I know it is a comparison between David & Goliath, but the result is interesting

What do you think?

Jovan

Re: A.Z.I.L.E.A: Comparison VSL <--> GPO

Hi..

I think the GPO version sounds better, but it's hard to compare, because the VSL cello is not as wet as the GPO one and the VSL cello articulation doesn't quite fit the need for the arrangement. Also - and this is my point of view - I think you didn't use the VSL cello in an optimal way. I don't own VSL and I do not know which version of VSL you used (obviously no performance articulations were used, otherwise the result would have been much nicer), but I guess there is plenty of room for improvement. Each library has it's strong and weak points and the arrangement should have been reworked for optimal performance. But maybe I'm wrong and you have reworked the cello..

Malte

Quote Originally Posted by MalteRathke
    Hi..

I think the GPO version sounds better, but it's hard to compare, because the VSL cello is not as wet as the GPO one and the VSL cello articulation doesn't quite fit the need for the arrangement. Also - and this is my point of view - I think you didn't use the VSL cello in an optimal way. I don't own VSL and I do not know which version of VSL you used (obviously no performance articulations were used, otherwise the result would have been much nicer), but I guess there is plenty of room for improvement. Each library has it's strong and weak points and the arrangement should have been reworked for optimal performance. But maybe I'm wrong and you have reworked the cello..

Malte
    Agreed, that are my findings, too.
    But it also shows my experience that for a beginner GPO is much easier to
    handle, VSL needs some more learning to get good results.

Regards,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Crowning
    Agreed, that are my findings, too.
    But it also shows my experience that for a beginner GPO is much easier to
    handle, VSL needs some more learning to get good results.

Regards,
    Tom
    Dont think anyone disagrees on that

I must say the arrangement is a bit lacking to make a fair comparison. It does not seem like you have actually tried to make the VSL one sound good. That being said I dont think the GPO one sounds much better. Sorry

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

This is a completely invalid comparison. I am not sure what would motivate someone to do this. It makes VSL sound hideous, and this is not the way VSL sounds at all. It is almost as if made to sound intentionally bad.

Hey dude - very sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    This is a completely invalid comparison. I am not sure what would motivate someone to do this. It makes VSL sound hideous, and this is not the way VSL sounds at all. It is almost as if made to sound intentionally bad.
    Great Bruce,

It's allways a matter of the amount of time which one would like to invest in the articulations of a a piece & library.
    This comparision shows that tt is much easier to come to a good result with GPO than with VSL.
    VSL is a really excellent library, but the handling.... O je!

:-) Jovan

Quote Originally Posted by RiffWraith
    Hey dude - very sorry for your loss.
    I'm very sorry too.

But sometimes: "The pot calling the kettle black!"

Jovan

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

It has been brought to my attention that my first post in this thread was rude, and in reading it back, I agree. Considering the emotional connection to the music, it was insensitive for me to focus primarily on the comparison.

I apologize for my tone. Perhaps it would be more polite to say that "comparison" is a tricky concept in a case like this.

very cool.

Go Back to forum