• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB, this is RAM. RAM, meet JABB...

Share/Bookmark

JABB, this is RAM. RAM, meet JABB...

I'm so glad I introduced the two: they make such a lovely couple!

Finally added an additional 1 GB of RAM to my system (total of 2 GB now) and it makes a *world* of difference. The Kontakt DFD streaming could never keep up on my slow hard disk...

If you've been considering an upgrade yourself, consider this a ringing endorsement.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Thumbs up Re: JABB, this is RAM. RAM, meet JABB...

Sure does!
    Styxx

Re: JABB, this is RAM. RAM, meet JABB...

I second that emotion, or third it, since Styxx got here ahead of me.

Just upgraded to a new box recently with 4G/RAM, and it makes a huge difference -- GPO behaves and sounds like a whole different animal.

I have JABB, too [bet Gary wonders what the heck I've been doing with it] -- and it's likewise plenty happier when it has plenty of legroom.

If you're gonna spend loose change on something and your system is under 2G, I really strongly recommend putting the bucks into memory.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

I agree with evryone here about RAM.

I recently did exactly what Markelford did by adding a 1 gig stick of ram, and although there is no difference in the quality of sound, you really notice the big difference when that timpani roll comes along at the same time as the harp glissando, no problems at all,... just music music music.

Do spend your next little chunk of change on more ram, that is great advice, especially for sample libraries that load fully into ram.
    Or you could use your next available small chunk of change for a Garritan/Steinway Grand!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    I agree with evryone... adding a 1 gig stick of ram, and although there is no difference in the quality of sound, you really notice the big difference when that timpani roll comes along at the same time as the harp glissando, no problems at all...
    And I always agree completely and absolutely with DPDan (because it's dangerous to get on the wrong side of a man with bat ears surgically grafted to his shoulders... lol).

To clarify: That's more what I was referring to when I said above that GPO even sounds different with more RAM. The basic quality of the sound, no, that's the same -- but the crisp, sharp edge of fast articulations just goes south if you don't have enough RAM.

At least, that's been my experience. For instance, I was trying to write a passage in 32nd's at a moderately quick tempo for the bassoon... and they simply vanished, no sound at all...

But when I RAM'd up (er, well, you know what I mean) -- there they were.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

So what happens, my good and wise and RAMful friends when you are max'd out on your computer. Back to the store I guess for a new computer...

Actually I am finding that my setup works okay but DPDAN mentioned the timpani roll, harp gliss that causes midi oozing (my word) and unpleasant ear whooshing. With all my RAM and dual processors, that still happens in Finale on occasion. I think Finale eats about five square meals of RAM per day. Nothing next to JABB, but...

That is why i appreciate the new diet version of JABB for Finale. Easily supplanted by the fully caffeinated versions when in DP.

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Yeah, I used to run into that with Finale, too, Paul.

But in that case, it's less a RAM issue than it is a CPU issue. Finale has a nasty habit of slamming CPU usage smack against the ceiling with a resounding thud... lol.

You might be able to improve a little by shutting off Finale auto-scrolling.

And it also helps to go housekeep processes [see what's cooking in whatever the task manager equivalent is on a Mac] and degunk anything useless to scrape a little more crud off the CPU.

Typical machines have all sorts of detritus running that's unneeded, and worse. And it's not just the RAM they eat -- more importantly, it's the (often) thousands of handles and hooks they've got lingering out there, flogging the CPU with junk requests.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

So far as "sounding different" with higher RAM, I did notice that DFD playback in the Kontakt player tended to cut off longer notes for me when under heavy use. Being able to listen to the entire duration now is a relief!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum