• Register
  • Help

Topic: Changing instrument in staff during playback

Share/Bookmark

Changing instrument in staff during playback

Hi to everyone!

Could someone tell me how can I change an instrument to another in Sibelius4 and GPO within a staff (example FHorn overlay to Fhorn solo)? I've tried everything and looked for correct midicommands but just can't succeed... Do I really have to create a separate staff for each different sound?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Changing instrument in staff during playback

Quote Originally Posted by Darramies
    Could someone tell me how can I change an instrument to another in Sibelius4 and GPO within a staff
    Things could possibly have changed in Sib 4. With Sib 3, the GPO instrument is selected through the mixer by selecting a GPO instance (1-8) and a midi channel, which points to a slot in the GPO player instance. There is no "channel change" event in the midi spec, so there is no midi event that you can place on the staff (~xxx) to cause the channel (and therefore the assigned instrument/slot) to change. Maybe something has been implemented in Sib 4 that overcomes this problem...
    Bill

I'm not totally sure how Sibelius works, but in the included Overture SE you can create up to four voices per staff. One voice could be horn solo and the other horn overlay. In Overture you can make it so that each voice isn't limited to up-stem and down-stem so it won't look like all up-stem then suddenly all down-stem.

Of course, I've never used Sibelius before so I really have no idea how it works.

Hope this helps at least a little.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Darramies
    Hi to everyone!

Could someone tell me how can I change an instrument to another in Sibelius4 and GPO within a staff (example FHorn overlay to Fhorn solo)? I've tried everything and looked for correct midicommands but just can't succeed... Do I really have to create a separate staff for each different sound?

Thanks in advance!
    One (work intensive) solution would be to use Kontakt 2 as player and
    use the mapping editor to do something like a 'keyboard split', that means
    assign one instrument to the first 44 keys and the second to the rest.
    But you would have to change all the notes accordingly...

I'd prefer the simple way and add just another track for the second
    instrument.
    Most software allows an infinite number of midi tracks, and from a
    performance view it's nothing to be worried about.

Tom

Go Back to forum