• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Giga 3.1 editor crashes Windows XP

Share/Bookmark

Giga 3.1 editor crashes Windows XP

Hello,

I just got my VSL library today and nearly every time I am working in the editor I get a serious system crash with the blue screen. I called tech support and waited 40 minutes to talk to a tech that doesn't really know what the problem is. I have 2 gigs of RAM, a pentium IV-3ghz processor and 160GB of hard disk space on the 2nd drive dedicated to gig files. The computer is configured as suggested by Tascam and other pro audio sites. At first I thought the problem was having the editor and gigastudio opened at the same time, giga 2.54 didn't like that, but I just had a system crash where the only program opened was the editor. I need some serious help and am willing to pay an expert to help resolve this.

This crash is serious. I don't know if there is a system setting that is causing it or a bug in Giga. It is quite annoying as I have to organize and configure a very large library.

Has anyone encountered this and, if so, did it get resolved? Here is the message:

Driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal.

Another message I got with a similar blue screen said: Page fault in non-paged area.

This is frustrating because I ran Giga 2.54 for 3 years on Win98SE with nearly a perfect record. Since I got this new computer a few days ago, it has been crashing while trying to work in Giga 3. I dread calling Tascam, their tech support is basic, and the hold times are intolerable.

Any help will be MUCH appreciated.

Jerry Gerber
    www.jerrygerber.com

Re: Giga 3.1 editor crashes Windows XP

Jerry,
    Very Vague Hint: It's your RAM. I know, I know-there's nothing wrong with your RAM. I believe that. I really do. Everything is tip top, parts are all new, and you wore a wrist band-grounding-thingy when you installed all your components. Windows does everything else fine. Guess what? It's still your RAM. WAhaddya mean WhadduImean? Jeeez, I dunno! It's true, though.
    Run The torture test in prime 95, and run memtest. Also, search the forum. This is far from unprecedented. Perfectly functional, seemingly well configured, brand new PC can crash the giga editor everytime, and for some reason this happens more with large files. Your search will yield some talk of this, and thus, of VSL, which is not the problem. It's your RAM. Did I forget to mention? It's your RAM.

Good Luck.
    Belbin

ps. Don't waste your time rebuilding your PC, swapping out parts, testing your tweaks to see which one is doing this. It's NONE of that.
    <ram>

Just one other thing to note, as you don't say when the crash occurs. If you try to save something from Giga Editor make sure that you're saving to the same drive as the samples. I tried to update my GS3 art files for VSL and I used to get a crash every time until someone pointed this out to me. Having changed the save path I could update using Auto-Art and just leave it for a couple of hours to get on with it; no crashes.

D

One more thing: are you trying to use the editor when gigastudio is running and loaded with samples? In order to edit one instrument, the editor must load the entire .gig file in which the instrument resides, and that can sometimes be a very large file. Try running the editor by itself, without gigastudio at all, and see if your problem goes away.

Jerry,

Try turning off the QuickSound file monitor (GigaStudio Settings > QuickSound > Monitor file activity). On certain systems it can cause just this kind of problem when accessing large files.

Hi everyone,

Well, it may very well be RAM. The computer store is a few blocks away so I can swap for better RAM today. But here's the thing, Giga isn't just crashing when trying to save in the editor. Sometimes it would crash in the main application when simply playing a midi note from either the external keyboard or the virtual keyboard contained in Giga.

I will get new RAM today and see if that helps. Thanks!!

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    Jerry,
    Very Vague Hint: It's your RAM. I know, I know-there's nothing wrong with your RAM. I believe that. I really do. Everything is tip top, parts are all new, and you wore a wrist band-grounding-thingy when you installed all your components. Windows does everything else fine. Guess what? It's still your RAM. WAhaddya mean WhadduImean? Jeeez, I dunno! It's true, though.
    Run The torture test in prime 95, and run memtest. Also, search the forum. This is far from unprecedented. Perfectly functional, seemingly well configured, brand new PC can crash the giga editor everytime, and for some reason this happens more with large files. Your search will yield some talk of this, and thus, of VSL, which is not the problem. It's your RAM. Did I forget to mention? It's your RAM.

Good Luck.
    Belbin

ps. Don't waste your time rebuilding your PC, swapping out parts, testing your tweaks to see which one is doing this. It's NONE of that.
    <ram>

And let us know if it works!

Very unlikely the file monitor is the problem if the crash occurs when Giga is closed and only the editor is opened.

The suggestion to not use the editor when Giga is open is a good one, I found with Giga 2.54 it wasn't a good idea to launch the editor from within Giga, I would always close Giga to work in the editor as that worked successfully everytime. Opening the editor within Giga was always a hit and miss affair.

Once you've tasted the delight of a stable system (stable over a period of several years) one wants to return to that state as quickly as possible. I hope its the RAM....

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by XlrCable
    Jerry,

Try turning off the QuickSound file monitor (GigaStudio Settings > QuickSound > Monitor file activity). On certain systems it can cause just this kind of problem when accessing large files.

sorry to have missed your comment in the original message, that you still had crash even with editor stand alone -- and re-reading, it is not clear: are you still on win 98? That might be the problem, if so. I thought nearly everyone using gs3 was also using win xp.

Just for everyone's information, I spoke with a Tascam tech support person today and he told me that the crashes I was having could be a result of hardware (RAM probably) but also he said that Giga wants to be installed BEFORE the sound card and driver. So I uninstalled Giga, which is a major headache in itself because you have to request a special "registration utility" in order to re-register, and then removed all soundcard drivers and the sound card itself. Then I reinstalled Giga, and then the soundcard. Isn't this fun? What we do for music is sometimes beyond me.

So, time will tell. If crashes continue I change RAM sticks.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Jerry Gerber

Go Back to forum