• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hey Gary!

Share/Bookmark

Talking Hey Gary!

I have a guy right here that insists he has the same sound as the SSV in his Yamaha keyboard! Would you believe? The same exact Strad sound with the same, oh, I was just ... yes, oh yes! That sounds just like SSV! Hahahahahaha! Had half a brain ... well, you understand.

“Oh I see they recorded middle C and stretched it.”
    Styxx

Re: Hey Gary!

Perhaps it was the same Flintstones technology with little animals playing Stradivaris inside

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Perhaps it was the same Flintstones technology with little animals playing Stradivaris inside
    Wasn't that a "Stegosurius"?
    Styxx

Talking Re: Hey Gary!

There are plenty of folks that post here that would not be able to hear the difference - and still others that would say the keyboard sounded better simply because it didn't have Garritan's name on it.

"Ida know - that Solo Violin sounds 'kinda synthy' - and no - not the Yamaha - the other one..."

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Amongst general listeners, I'd warrant there's some aural confusion about just what a real violin sounds like -- because they're so used to hearing either synthed or heavily over-produced, studio-enhanced versions of the instrument.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Amongst general listeners, I'd warrant there's some aural confusion about just what a real violin sounds like -- because they're so used to hearing either synthed or heavily over-produced, studio-enhanced versions of the instrument.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -
    Excellent point, exactly!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by etLux

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -
    That's a very good point. I never thought of that. Same with many other instruments too, probably.

When I was around 12 and went to the Strings International Music Festival for the first time I'd never heard a good string player live. I was surprised how 'synthy' sounding all the violins were. I quickly acclimated to the new sound and I now have myself pretty-well familiar with many more of the instrument sounds.

Of course, this was all before I got GPO and was still using soundfront sounds. Man, I'm glad that part of my life is over!

-Chris

I recently heard a Strad demo that I thought was pretty cool. Not that it was amazing, like Fabio's Pagannini. No, this was a quickie, out of the box piece.

While the notes were way beyond what a beginning violinist could play, there was still this wobbly-legged "I'm a beginner" sound to it. I found it endearing.

Most keyboard patches can sound like "I'm learning to play the keyboard", but not like "I'm learning to play the violin".

Very cool. And I truly expect that the demo maker will become a virtuoso in short order!

-JF

Go Back to forum