• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Pizzicato strings don't seem to change volume

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Pizzicato strings don't seem to change volume

It seemed to me that pizz strings weren't loud enough in Finale, so I was trying to make them louder. It didn't seem to work.

Then I tried several measures of "middle C" with hairpins from "pp" to "fff", and the sound just doesn't change. Is there some bug that pizzicato doesn't respond to the mod wheel and vol changes like everything else does?

Re: Pizzicato strings don't seem to change volume

Quote Originally Posted by RickMcGowan
    It seemed to me that pizz strings weren't loud enough in Finale...Is there some bug that pizzicato doesn't respond to the mod wheel and vol changes like everything else does?
    Rick,
    I believe the loudness of the pizz strings is controlled by velocity, not mod.
    Bill

It seemed to me that pizz strings weren't loud enough in Finale, so I was trying to make them louder. It didn't seem to work.

Then I tried several measures of "middle C" with hairpins from "pp" to "fff", and the sound just doesn't change. Is there some bug that pizzicato doesn't respond to the mod wheel and vol changes like everything else does?
    are you using HumanPlayback for your playback? if so, normally it should use the correct controller, whether modulation or velocity, for whichever instance of the string sound you are using.

In which layer did you put the pizz strings? Took me a while to figure out that the expressions only apply to one layer (layer 1 by default). So if you, as I did a lot, put the arco strings in layer 1 and the pizz strings in layer 2, the hairpins only affect the arco strings.

Does that help?

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by wstuhlma
    In which layer did you put the pizz strings? Took me a while to figure out that the expressions only apply to one layer (layer 1 by default). So if you, as I did a lot, put the arco strings in layer 1 and the pizz strings in layer 2, the hairpins only affect the arco strings.

Does that help?

Walt
    when using KS instruments, there's no need to use different layers, however.

Thanks for the replies...

I'm using the Violins KS patch. I'm using Finale human playback, absolute latest update (2006c). I put in some hairpins "p" to "ff" and back. If I change the passage from "arco" to "pizz" it suddenly is always the same loudness. I'll try adjusting velocity to see how that affects it...

As has been mentioned, pizzicato does not respond to the mod wheel. It is strictly velocity based.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Thanks for the replies...

I'm using the Violins KS patch. I'm using Finale human playback, absolute latest update (2006c). I put in some hairpins "p" to "ff" and back. If I change the passage from "arco" to "pizz" it suddenly is always the same loudness. I'll try adjusting velocity to see how that affects it...
    I just did a test with 2006b, and had no problem at all getting a hairpin to go from pp to FFF in pizzicato. I used the section strings KS.

is this a file that was created in a previous version of Finale? or did you create it using the wizard in 2006?

Back to Finale 2006 initial release, there were issues in HP with pizz dynamics, but these were completely cleaned up in Finale 2006b (and c). HP handle pizz and arco (velocity vs. mod. wheel) automatically within the same staff.

How are your string staves named? Just normally? HP is pretty dependent on how the music is notated.

Best,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Piéchaud
    Back to Finale 2006 initial release, there were issues in HP with pizz dynamics, but these were completely cleaned up in Finale 2006b (and c). HP handle pizz and arco (velocity vs. mod. wheel) automatically within the same staff.

How are your string staves named? Just normally? HP is pretty dependent on how the music is notated.
    hey Robert, is there a list somewhere of what exactly HP does for the various Finale articulations? Lke the difference between a sFz and fz and fp and sfp, for example. (I mean, I know what they mean, but does HP treat each one differently?)

For example, I've found that the fp indication stays forte too long for my taste, and the piano isn't, well, piano enough. Is there a way to alter this?

Go Back to forum