• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Studio vs VST in Cubasis

Share/Bookmark

GPO Studio vs VST in Cubasis

I've been feeling my way around GPO. Trying out it's sounds/capabilities and loved it. (wish I had something like this 20 yrs ago). I have a newbie question concerning GOP with Cubasis that came with it.
    I followed the Cubasis tutorial from your web site, but found that upon playback, there is no sound. I started to fool around a bit and founded that if I record using GPO Studio instead, there is sound upon playback. What was I doing wrong ? Is there a preferred way in Cubasis for using GPO as VST or using Studio?
    A second question... as I was playing around with GPO, I noticed that when I use the mouse to click on the Kontakt keyboard, I get an immediate and louder sound then when I play it from my midi keyboard. The sound is much softer when played from the keyboard and there's a perceptable delay between the keys pressed and the sound produced.

I appologize for the lengthy questions.
    Best regards.

Re: GPO Studio vs VST in Cubasis

Not sure what is wrong but I did have this problem when I started too. For Cutbasis it appears when you export to wav or mp3 file, you must have choosen VST instruments for the tracks that you have events on. I did it once with Cubasis + studio and sequence,during it you hear weird fast sounds but nothing is transferred to the file you're exporting. But VST works.

Hope that helped.
    Ke Yang (OMG I'm using mah name)
    Insert Useless Advertisement Here

My Work List With GPO

Note: You might have noticed there's nothing there, yet. Massive editing going on.

Thanks for the reply, Tovan.

However, I was doing any exports (that'll be another excercise!). I was simply trying to playback what was recorded.

Did you also notice a delay between key down and sound heard when playing an GPO instrument? I tried adjusting the velocity but that did not help.

Regards

Pete

On the mini GPO keyboard with all the instruments, for me, while playing with it produce their regular volume, and almost no delay, I test it and it seems to have the velocity value of 100, the default for my notation program. But I do not have a keyboard or such a hardware, unfortunately =\.
    Ke Yang (OMG I'm using mah name)
    Insert Useless Advertisement Here

My Work List With GPO

Note: You might have noticed there's nothing there, yet. Massive editing going on.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear stating my questions, and on top of it I made a typo in the last email. I meant to say 'I was not doing any exports'.

I have 2 problems(so far) that I need help with. One is that there is no sound upon playback in CUBASIS when using GPO as VST. I followed the tutorial, loaded the lite version of the piano, assigned GPO VST to midi tracked one. As I record I can hear the sound was there when I record the midi track. When I play back, I can see the track's meter bounce, but there's no sound.

The other problem is more of an annoyance. It is that when I play the GPO instrument using an external midi keyboard, I get a latency between key pressed and sound produced. This does not happen when I click on the keys of the mini Kontakt keyboard using a mouse. Also the sound is much louder when using the mouse.

What am I doing wrong? Or what'd I missed doing?

My setup:
    Dell Pentium 4 (2.0 ghz)
    1 gig ram
    2 internal HDs - 40 gig and 120 gig.
    GPO, Cubasis VST, Overture LE (both came with GPO) with all updates applied. GPO and company are installed on the E: drive.
    Yamaha DX7IIfd
    Uno midi interface (usb)

Quote Originally Posted by peteyu
    I'm sorry I wasn't clear stating my questions, and on top of it I made a typo in the last email. I meant to say 'I was not doing any exports'.

I have 2 problems(so far) that I need help with. One is that there is no sound upon playback in CUBASIS when using GPO as VST. I followed the tutorial, loaded the lite version of the piano, assigned GPO VST to midi tracked one. As I record I can hear the sound was there when I record the midi track. When I play back, I can see the track's meter bounce, but there's no sound.

The other problem is more of an annoyance. It is that when I play the GPO instrument using an external midi keyboard, I get a latency between key pressed and sound produced. This does not happen when I click on the keys of the mini Kontakt keyboard using a mouse. Also the sound is much louder when using the mouse.

What am I doing wrong? Or what'd I missed doing?

My setup:
    Dell Pentium 4 (2.0 ghz)
    1 gig ram
    2 internal HDs - 40 gig and 120 gig.
    GPO, Cubasis VST, Overture LE (both came with GPO) with all updates applied. GPO and company are installed on the E: drive.
    Yamaha DX7IIfd
    Uno midi interface (usb)

1: increase volume with the modulation wheel of your keyboard. Used as VST
    instrument GPO's volume defaults to 0 (zero, nada, ...).

2: you need a soundcard that supports low latency audio drivers (ASIO) to
    reduce the latency. Onboard soundcards normaly do not support ASIO.
    Notes played with the mouse/keyboard are louder because they use
    a velocity value of 127 for each note.

Good luck,
    Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for the response.

On (1), I think I know what I was doing wrong. I fired up GPO from outside Cubasis, instead of from inside by using the Edit button inside the VST window. So when I playback, there's no instrument to play even though I assigned the midi tracks to GPO VST because I never loaded it inside!

As for (2), I inadvertenly omitted the soundcard from my inventory list. I had installed a SB Audigy 2zs and I was using its ASIO. After seeing your replay I went looking for the latency setting and found it in Cubasis. I reduced the buffer size from 5512 to 2500 and got all kinds of crackles and pops. An now my whole pc is acting sluggish... Well, at least now I know where to tweek it.

I wanted to reply sooner but had problem signing in to the forum. it welcomed me after I singned in, then went back to behave as if I didn't.

... So big the lerning curve, so little time. I'm flying blind here doing trial and error. Is there a book out there on Cubasis/GPO ?

Thanks again!

Your latency problem could be a MIDI interface issue. I, too, use the Uno and there is a slight delay for me too. But I don't have ASIO, so it could just be coincidence.

-Chris

Go Back to forum