• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Sonar: Is it buggy?

Share/Bookmark

Question Sonar: Is it buggy?

I've always been a Cakewalk user, since the version 6.

When I started to work with samplers and more "pro" software, I got Sonar 3. I used many libraries there (GPO, DFHS, LPC, Plugsound, NI softsynths) but I always had many problems. Like when I am working in a song and close it, when I try to open the file again, it crashes.

Once I tried Sonar 4 demo, I didn't notice much difference. But some of the EW and QL libraries (kompakt player) played no sound, with no excuses!!!

Now I just got a new DAW and Sonar 5. The problem with opening the files and crashing are still there (luckily I found the safe mode method!). And many times it suddenly crash or just close itself when I'm using a library or plug-in.

Does anyone here has the same problem? Why this happen? Shall I move to Cubase SX3, which appears to be more stable?
    []'s, Fabrício Zuccherato
    Wormhole Studios

Re: Sonar: Is it buggy?

fabricioz,

Sonar 5 is rock solid stable for me, The V-Vocal plug has crashed a few times, but this is not core to the Sonar5 engine.

Please give me more information about your setup, and I will try to help you.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

That's pretty weird.

I would suggest, first, making sure you have the latest updates of all the sampler/synth players you're using. Also, make sure you're running the latest update of SONAR.

Finally, I'd go to their forums, and provide a detailed report of what is happening. Perhaps you could get some specific support, or some diagnostic suggestions.

There are not many reports of SONAR being particularly unstable or crash-prone. In fact, that is generally one of the strengths of the application...so, it could be that there is some element of what you're doing that is either manifesting an unusual bug, or is potentially related to some (hopefully) simple solution.

Pretty much the only time I crash SONAR is when I'm beta testing new plugins! So I wouldn't call SONAR inherently buggy: it all depends on what you feed into it.

One thing to check with loading projects is to hold down the shift key while you open the file. This will cause SONAR to ask which plugins in the project that you wish to enable. In this manner, you can potentially find out which plugin is causing you the problem.

Also, contact customer service: the developers are always eager to get a copy of the crashing project so they can debug the load process.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by fabricioz
    I've always been a Cakewalk user, since the version 6.

When I started to work with samplers and more "pro" software, I got Sonar 3. I used many libraries there (GPO, DFHS, LPC, Plugsound, NI softsynths) but I always had many problems. Like when I am working in a song and close it, when I try to open the file again, it crashes.

Once I tried Sonar 4 demo, I didn't notice much difference. But some of the EW and QL libraries (kompakt player) played no sound, with no excuses!!!

Now I just got a new DAW and Sonar 5. The problem with opening the files and crashing are still there (luckily I found the safe mode method!). And many times it suddenly crash or just close itself when I'm using a library or plug-in.

Does anyone here has the same problem? Why this happen? Shall I move to Cubase SX3, which appears to be more stable?
    How much ram do you have. I seemed to have more stability problems until I beefed up my ram to 3 gbs. Those libraries you mentioned are pretty ram hungry (even with DFD).

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Sonar was always completely stable for me until a few weeks ago when it kept crashing and causing a reboot whenever I tried to open the program. Thanks to some suggestions on the Sonar forum, I figured out that the drivers to my US-122 interface had gone all weird on me for some reason. After I reinstalled the drivers, everything was fine again.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Sonar's always been solid as a rock for me too. I use it extensively with Gigastudio and NI products though not concurrently if I can help it.

Your problems may relate to sound card drivers. For instance, when I tried out some MOTU gear a while back, it didn't seem to like those drivers. Though I sold the gear to a friend who used Cubase and he's never had a problem. Also, I find Sonar works best for me when I select WDM drivers within Sonar. And when using NI instruments with Sonar, they seem to interoperate best for me when I select ASIO in the NI config screen.

Howard

I run everything I do thru Sonar 5.01PE, and on a less than "state-o-the art" PC: Dell P4 2.66 1GB, and it is absolutely stable.

I've just learned to live with the idea that I can only load a relatively small amount of instruments/effects at a time. If I overdo it, it will crash, but at least it crashes when and how I would expect it to, given the limitations of my system. (VV is problematic for me, too- but this isn't a big deal for my purposes.)

I'd look at the usual suspects, such as buffer sizes, drivers, etc. I have a hard time believing that your problem is within the software itself.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    Also, contact customer service: the developers are always eager to get a copy of the crashing project so they can debug the load process.

- m
    This is true, and please do it. They are quite aggressive about wanting specific projects which dependably crash. They will do the homework, and if it's their problem, they fix it...and oftentimes, they'll fix it even if it is not their problem, which is commendable.

I was a Cakewalk user for 8 years or so and it always served me well. It wasn't until the recent batch of updates I started considering other sequencers. As much as I would have prefered to stick with SONAR, the 4.0 release rendered this practically impossible, as the GUI had gotten notably more sluggish (I'd come to expect a certain degree of performance degradation from Cakewalk's updates, but this was simply too monumental to disregard). I ended up with Cubase and while it has its quirks and annoyances too, it has superior midi implementation and an extremely responsive GUI; the two most important features to me.
    As far as stability goes you can't go wrong with SONAR, though. I used it extensively for almost a decade and during that period of time it always felt reliable. Cubase does admittedly crash a bit more frequently, but despite that I'm getting a lot more work done because of its efficient, practical and logical GUI and feature set. I guess you need to figure out what you'll be using it for. If it's for huge midi-oriented orchestral templates, Cubase is the one you want. If you're primarily doing VI+audio work SONAR will serve you well. That's not to say Cubase isn't fully up for the task of course.

Q for you 5.0 users of SONAR: did they ever fix that unbearable sluggishness with the user menu's appearing close to a second after you clicked them when working with big templates (say 300+ tracks)? Transpose, quantize etc.. all those would take a second, sometimes more, to appear. Right clicking on notes in the piano roll to change note properties suffered from the same intolerable behavior. Gone in 5.0?

Go Back to forum